I board two of my horses, and the other is at my mom's house. Mellow-- the one at mom's-- is gaining weight slowly out in pasture, but it's about to be miserable out there, and the grass is already drying up from lack of rain (it feels like it rained endlessly, but now we need it again). Our initial plan was for mom and I to swap-- she would take Duncan, the pony, and Ginger, my QH and trade for Mellow. I'd put Mellow on regular board (I have a deal right now with the BO) so he would get grain once a day, and then Ginger could lose some of the weight she's gained in the big pasture and Duncan could be put to work. So it still seems like a good deal.
Here's the big problem, though. The two that I'm boarding are up for shots and coggins. My BO required ETW, WN, Rhino, and Rabies for all boarders. The cost to get all shots, plus coggins, is around $100 per horse. Say what you want about us, but for horses just on our property my mom and I do just coggins and EWT. If they go anywhere, we give extra shots to the ones that are leaving the property and to new ones coming in. With us on the verge of buying a new place I can't afford to do ALL the shots plus board plus farrier work all in the same weekend. Before making any adjustments to horses that are coming or going it's around $540.
I asked mom if she minded keeping all three for a month, just until we moved, and initially she said sure. But after time to think it over (and talk to her husband) they decided that there just wasn't going to be enough pasture to add both of my horses plus the pony. They were already about to pull out hay bales (honestly, they have too many ponies but I can't control that).
What I'm trying to decide is which horses stay with me and which ones go. Whoever stays with me will have to have all 4 shots, and probably coggins (Mellow has his). Ginger and Duncan can get away without farrier work for a few more weeks, but Mellow can't. If it were any other time of year things would be different, but now I don't know what to do. I just can't, in good conscience, ask my husband for that kind of money.
Any suggestions? Feel free to ask any questions.