livery prices
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Boarding

livery prices

This is a discussion on livery prices within the Horse Boarding forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category

    Like Tree2Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-17-2013, 12:08 PM
      #1
    Foal
    livery prices

    Me and my dad have come to the decision that we should have grazing liverys we also have one stable that we can let out wich is a tidy size. We have loads of grazing but hardly any faciliteies so have come up with a price plan.
    We may have found someone to have the stable which will cost them 15 a week up front but because she wants to have part livery I was unsure of prices this is what I came up with, if any one can think of anything to add to it or doesnt think its quite right please say :)

    Grazing only: 10 (per horse)
    Stable inc grazing: 15
    Extra prices:
    Turn out: 2
    Bring in: 2
    Rug change: 3
    Prepare feed: 1
    Feed: 2
    Muck out: 5
    Complete muck out 10
    Haynets: 1 (per haynet)
    Groom: 8
    Bring in to feed and turn back out: 3
    Tack cleaning:
    Bridle: 4
    Leather saddle: 6
    Synthetic saddle: 7
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-17-2013, 12:50 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midnight dream    
    Me and my dad have come to the decision that we should have grazing liverys we also have one stable that we can let out wich is a tidy size. We have loads of grazing but hardly any faciliteies so have come up with a price plan.
    We may have found someone to have the stable which will cost them 15 a week up front but because she wants to have part livery I was unsure of prices this is what I came up with, if any one can think of anything to add to it or doesnt think its quite right please say :)

    Grazing only: 10 (per horse)
    Stable inc grazing: 15
    Extra prices:
    Turn out: 2
    Bring in: 2
    Rug change: 3
    Prepare feed: 1
    Feed: 2
    Muck out: 5
    Complete muck out 10
    Haynets: 1 (per haynet)
    Groom: 8
    Bring in to feed and turn back out: 3
    Tack cleaning:
    Bridle: 4
    Leather saddle: 6
    Synthetic saddle: 7
    Sorry but I would not pay 3 for you to make a feed and chuck it in.

    I am currently on part livery. I pay 50 a week for stable, grazing, use of the school, basic feed, hay and shavings, includes morning feeds and turnout.
    YO brings in Free of charge if mine is going to be the last out and all feeds go in at the same time so she also doesnt charge for popping the bucket over the stable door.

    I pAY 3 for a skip out or 5 for a deep muck out

    Best thing for you to do is work out your overheads, so your time (at a decent hourly rate) any supplies (so if you provide the feed or shavings) etc and then divide this number by 60 and multiply by the number of minutes it takes to do the task.

    So example:
    Make a feed and pop it over the stable door take absolute maximum of 5mins per horse (I can do mine in 2 mins but count it as 5).

    So if the owner was providing the actual feed, I have an hourly rate of 10 per hour for my time.
    10/60 = 0.167
    0.167*5 = 0.83
    Round that up to 1 to save the inconveniance of dealing with pennies.

    For mucking out if a full muck out takes you 40 mins (I have no idea how fast/slow you are but I can muck out fully in 15 mins) and you provide shavings then the calculation would go like this:
    10/60 = 0.167
    0.167*40 = 6.68
    Shavings cost you 5 so you charge 5.50 for them.
    Total 12.18 for a muck out including new bedding (personaly I'd round this up to 12.50)
    midnight dream likes this.
         
        06-17-2013, 01:46 PM
      #3
    Trained
    When I boarded one of my pet peeves was being nickled and dimed to death. If you board for people there will be days when they can't be there and will need certain routine things done for them. Picking out daily, blanketing daily, turn out daily, feed daily. IMO those should all be included in one monthly price. We don't generally board by the week here, so I'm not used to a weekly fee either. I've never had good results with part board where the owner is expected to do certain things, so I don't offer it.

    Figure out what it costs to feed hay, water and grain to 1 horse per month, how much more it will cost for shavings and you're time per day. Here in OK it costs me roughly $150/month/horse so I would charge $250/horse for full stall board. Everything is included unless the boarder wants certain supplements, or a special feed, then they supply it and I feed it according to their instructions. No extra charge.

    Holding for the farrier if they can't be there, fine charge for that, it's your time. Same for Vet. They get billed directly from the farrier and vet, so you are never out of pocket for someone else's horse.

    Keeps it simple, reasonable cost wise and no worries about how many extra charges they will rack up by the end of the month.

    $250 U.S. Approx 160 pounds.
         
        06-17-2013, 03:32 PM
      #4
    Green Broke
    Dreamcatcher, Part livery, assisted livery and DIY are far more common here than full livery. In these cash strapped times the places that only offer full livery realy are struggling!
         
        06-17-2013, 03:41 PM
      #5
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faye    
    Dreamcatcher, Part livery, assisted livery and DIY are far more common here than full livery. In these cash strapped times the places that only offer full livery realy are struggling!
    Really? WOW! What are they charging? Just for curiosity's sake.
         
        06-17-2013, 03:48 PM
      #6
    Green Broke
    Between 70 and 100 a week is normal round here (dependant on facilities etc) and we are in a cheap area.
    My mum and I looked at buying a livery business and after costs (hay, shavings, feed etc), tax (killer one here is the council tax), mortgage etc we found that most livery owners were barely on a wage of 2 an hour. Just not worth the hassle and that was a place charging 100 a week for full livery, not sure how people do it cheaper over here!
         
        06-17-2013, 03:51 PM
      #7
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faye    
    between 70 and 100 a week is normal round here (dependant on facilities etc) and we are in a cheap area.
    My mum and I looked at buying a livery business and after costs (hay, shavings, feed etc), tax (killer one here is the council tax), mortgage etc we found that most livery owners were barely on a wage of 2 an hour. Just not worth the hassle and that was a place charging 100 a week for full livery, not sure how people do it cheaper over here!
    OUCH!!! For that price over here, I can put a horse in full training and board! No wonder they do so much part board. Folks here don't want to do the work and for what they pay for full board here, they can afford not to. The problems come in usually when it's a teenager who wants to work off part of the board. They start ok but after 2 or 3 months, pretty soon start not showing up and doing what they agreed to. It has been a big hassle everywhere I've seen that offers part board, so I just don't.
         
        06-17-2013, 04:04 PM
      #8
    Green Broke
    If you want full training then you are looking at minimum 150 a week for a mediocre person with no real big results.
    I paid 250 a week for a problem horse to be reschooled.
    Show production here wil cost around 300 a week not incuding show entries, transport to the shows or rider fees (if you have a producer ride it in the ring).
         
        06-17-2013, 04:32 PM
      #9
    Foal
    Thanks for your comments and yes seeing it that way I suppose 3 is a little too much but iv been on a couple of livery yards where they charge alot more for these things also I forgot to say the person that wants part livery or half board is saying that it would be on a 3 days one week and maybe 4 the next week but could be different every week so if I did it like this they may only need me to change rug and turnout one day I wouldnt want to over charge them for that if it was a fixed price if this makes any sense to you?
         
        06-17-2013, 08:47 PM
      #10
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faye    
    If you want full training then you are looking at minimum 150 a week for a mediocre person with no real big results.
    I paid 250 a week for a problem horse to be reschooled.
    Show production here wil cost around 300 a week not incuding show entries, transport to the shows or rider fees (if you have a producer ride it in the ring).
    Ye Gods! For that amount of money over here, I can send out to the best of the best trainers, and have hot & cold running staff, someone to groom and tack up for me, hold the horse while I get on, hold while I get off and untack & groom and put away, on top of 3 private lessons/week. Actually, I did send a couple horses out to one of those trainers last year and it was only about 1/2 that amount! HOLY MOLY!
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    livery prices midnight dream Horse Talk 0 06-17-2013 11:53 AM
    Livery Yards Skittlenatt Horse Boarding 0 12-25-2011 05:26 AM
    Livery available StephanieP Horse Talk 0 02-22-2010 06:33 PM
    Part livery Heather Sutherland Barn Maintenance 1 08-21-2009 01:40 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0