Need advice again: To move or not?
   

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Boarding

Need advice again: To move or not?

This is a discussion on Need advice again: To move or not? within the Horse Boarding forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • What is the possibility that I have to relocate if I am a Equine

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Saranda

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-13-2013, 03:50 AM
  #1
Super Moderator
Need advice again: To move or not?

This spring I already moved my gelding once, to a place that almost fully met my needs and I was very happy with it. But, due to some unfortunate, complicated and downright crazy circumstances, the BO of my current barn is forced to move out with all her horses.

There is no chance I'd stay with the new owners of the barn (yes, they are setting up a boarding facility, too), because they are not the kind of people I'd trust my horse to, so that's out of the question.

The BO managed to rent two sheds not too far from the original place, where we moved all the inventory and stuff from the barn. A field was also mowed and leveled to be used as an outside riding arena. The horses, luckily, are staying in the same pastures for a while, because the BO had previously rented them for this year, and are being watered, but there's no shelters and no feeding (except all the grass they can eat, just no hard feeds/supplements, which is fine by me), because it would be hard to feed a herd of almost 20 horses in field environment. Two other horse owners and myself have decided to stay with our BO for a while, but this is just a temporary solution, because the BO doesn't want to keep her horses without a stable during winter and, if nothing else is found, will slowly move them to an abandoned warehouse she rented out to transform it into a stable. I wouldn't go there anyway, because the warehouse was previously used to store gardening chemicals, which had leaked outside, and there's some major pollution going on in the soil and water.

Hearing of this, a friend offered me to move my gelding to her place. It is a 24/7 pasture board facility with an outside arena, a round pen, some nice trails and a small and friendly community. The field shelter is becoming too small for the herd, so they are currently building a much larger one to fit their needs - it is due to be finished by the beginning of this winter. All in all, the place seems nice, the only downside is having to travel further to get there (through an area with a high possibility of traffic jams), and that the place is closer to a highway.

The logical thing would be to move, right, so I've already arranged that for next Saturday. However, I am reluctant to do so right now, because I really love my BO, I'd trust her my horse any time, and my gelding has also grown very used to his current herd. He's managed to become the leader and has made some close friendships I'd be sorry to break. There is still a possibility that everything could turn out right for the BO, but that's just a possibility and I might have to move sooner or later.

So, advice is appreciated. What would you do in such a situation? :)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-13-2013, 04:13 AM
  #2
Green Broke
I always say if you have doubts and you have the option, change.

But, I can see the predicament you are faced with.

Will your friend have the option for you to move at a later date, at the start of the winter, if your BO doesn't manage to find elsewhere? If your horse is settled and you are happy with the current situation stay, and if things don't look up for winter, move there?
     
    08-13-2013, 04:25 AM
  #3
Super Moderator
Well, that would be the perfect option, I guess, but my friend wants a new horse to join the herd before the autumn comes, so that her herd blends and gets used to the newcomer before winter sets in, and everyone gets to use the shelters without issues and huge fights. So I'm afraid I either have to make the decision fast, either I stay and rely on everyone's luck. I've visited some other barns, too, just to know the options, and there aren't any that would really suit my needs.
     
    08-13-2013, 04:28 AM
  #4
Green Broke
Cripes.

In all honesty? I would move to your friends. If you BO's luck comes in make it clear you wish to move back but you feel unhappy (as I would too) putting your horse in a former chemical warehouse.
     
    08-13-2013, 04:38 AM
  #5
Super Moderator
The BO is well aware that I'll be among the first to return, if everything settles down well and NOT in the chemical warehouse - she's also very understanding, a great person overall.

Your advice seems very sensible, after all, I will be able to move back if the opportunity arises, although frequent moving is not the best thing for a horse - but my boy, luckily, adapts rapidly to new situations.
DuffyDuck likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To move or not to move...Part 2.. Cowgirls Boots Horse Talk 5 02-18-2013 04:35 AM
Do I keep her or do I move on? Advice please... 16HHPocketPony Horse Training 25 11-12-2012 08:39 PM
How does he move? barrelbeginner Horse Riding Critique 9 08-19-2012 10:13 AM
Need advice (and fast!!) -- Attempt to move out amicably is failing :( cascanastargazer Barn Maintenance 58 02-04-2011 03:16 PM
Comparisons. To move, or not to move? cosmomomo Barn Maintenance 4 12-12-2010 11:33 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0