Need help framing questions to ask BO - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 01-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,286
• Horses: 1
I'd be less upset about the amount of board increase than the fact that they decided to give you notice after it was already in effect. As others have said, it's up to the BO to set the price on whatever basis she thinks is reasonable, and up to you to decide whether or not it's worth staying there at that rate.

It sounds like you're not all that thrilled with the barn itself and know of cheaper options anyway, so I'd take it as a cue to give your notice and move elsewhere.

Is your trainer at this barn, or just nearby? If she's at this barn I'd consider tactfully letting her know that you're leaving because of the barn itself and not because of her. If she has clients leaving because the barn isn't being run well or is being overpriced for the services it offers, she will likely pass that kind of feedback on to the BO or move somewhere else herself.
verona1016 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 Old 01-05-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 173
• Horses: 1
I was able to get the barn owners to agree to a meeting with all the boarders (the ones interested in attending). So we had a sit down with everyone and discussed it. I thought it went really well. The BO's explained their side of things well, and why the increase was occurring. They explained some of the things they've done to attempt to keep costs lower. We also discussed how long the increase would last, and although they weren't sure of the length of time, they did seem very willing to drop board if/when feed costs decreased.

After that we discussed with the BO's some ways that some of us could help off-set the increase for our horses. They were more than willing to find ways we could help the barn in order to knock $50 off our board each month.

Overall, I think the meeting went great. The most concerned boarders walked away feeling much more at ease with the situation.

Thank you for the good questions. I was kind of on the spot since I set up the meeting, and I actually felt like I had some good questions to ask (instead of getting there and freezing up on what to ask).
core is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 278
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by core View Post

On Wednesday (1/2/2013) the other boarders and I received word that board would increase by $50/month, starting the day before. Most of us are pretty upset with the lack of any notice.
When you say board went up starting the day before, do you mean you paid January's board on the first, and you are being notified that, as of February 1, 2013, you will be getting charged an additional $50? If so, that is more than sufficient notice in most instances.

Glad your talk went well! :)

Last edited by sillyhorses; 01-05-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Whoops - missed the last page!
sillyhorses is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 01-05-2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 173
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyhorses View Post
When you say board went up starting the day before, do you mean you paid January's board on the first, and you are being notified that, as of February 1, 2013, you will be getting charged an additional $50? If so, that is more than sufficient notice in most instances.

Glad your talk went well! :)
No, I meant they told us on Wednesday that board went up the day before. Negative day notice.
Posted via Mobile Device
core is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,444
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by core View Post
No, I meant they told us on Wednesday that board went up the day before. Negative day notice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Does that mean if you payed them $400 on Tuesday (Jan 1), you now owe them an extra $50 because that is the day board increased? Or....does it mean that on Feb 1, you will owe them $450 instead of $400. The former would not impress me while the latter is kosher. I think that's what Sillyhorses is getting at as well.
thesilverspear is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 AM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by core View Post
and although they weren't sure of the length of time, they did seem very willing to drop board if/when feed costs decreased.
I'm sure you are aware with the majority of the US in drought recovery, the chances of feed prices coming down is nil. Consumers were just warned that the price of everything associated with farming was impacted by the drought and 2013 is going to be a rather expensive year.
mls is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 173
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilverspear View Post
Does that mean if you payed them $400 on Tuesday (Jan 1), you now owe them an extra $50 because that is the day board increased? Or....does it mean that on Feb 1, you will owe them $450 instead of $400. The former would not impress me while the latter is kosher. I think that's what Sillyhorses is getting at as well.
I owe them $50. January's board increased by $50 and they didn't tell us until the day after it was due.
Posted via Mobile Device
core is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 173
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
I'm sure you are aware with the majority of the US in drought recovery, the chances of feed prices coming down is nil. Consumers were just warned that the price of everything associated with farming was impacted by the drought and 2013 is going to be a rather expensive year.
I'm certain you're right about costs not going down. I'm ever the optimist though. :)

Things keep going up at the rate they are, I'll have to get out of horses completely. It'll break my heart, but it truly is an upper class hobby. Not for us poor lower middle class people. :(
Posted via Mobile Device
core is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions, questions, questions! (mostly about Devon Horse Show!) jfisher256 Horse Shows 2 03-30-2012 01:34 PM
Ultra sound questions and some feed and other questions... HalfPass Horse Health 7 06-18-2009 11:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome