Need help framing questions to ask BO - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Boarding

Need help framing questions to ask BO

This is a discussion on Need help framing questions to ask BO within the Horse Boarding forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category

    Like Tree16Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-05-2013, 03:18 PM
      #11
    Green Broke
    I'd be less upset about the amount of board increase than the fact that they decided to give you notice after it was already in effect. As others have said, it's up to the BO to set the price on whatever basis she thinks is reasonable, and up to you to decide whether or not it's worth staying there at that rate.

    It sounds like you're not all that thrilled with the barn itself and know of cheaper options anyway, so I'd take it as a cue to give your notice and move elsewhere.

    Is your trainer at this barn, or just nearby? If she's at this barn I'd consider tactfully letting her know that you're leaving because of the barn itself and not because of her. If she has clients leaving because the barn isn't being run well or is being overpriced for the services it offers, she will likely pass that kind of feedback on to the BO or move somewhere else herself.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-05-2013, 03:33 PM
      #12
    Foal
    I was able to get the barn owners to agree to a meeting with all the boarders (the ones interested in attending). So we had a sit down with everyone and discussed it. I thought it went really well. The BO's explained their side of things well, and why the increase was occurring. They explained some of the things they've done to attempt to keep costs lower. We also discussed how long the increase would last, and although they weren't sure of the length of time, they did seem very willing to drop board if/when feed costs decreased.

    After that we discussed with the BO's some ways that some of us could help off-set the increase for our horses. They were more than willing to find ways we could help the barn in order to knock $50 off our board each month.

    Overall, I think the meeting went great. The most concerned boarders walked away feeling much more at ease with the situation.

    Thank you for the good questions. I was kind of on the spot since I set up the meeting, and I actually felt like I had some good questions to ask (instead of getting there and freezing up on what to ask).
         
        01-05-2013, 11:14 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by core    

    On Wednesday (1/2/2013) the other boarders and I received word that board would increase by $50/month, starting the day before. Most of us are pretty upset with the lack of any notice.
    When you say board went up starting the day before, do you mean you paid January's board on the first, and you are being notified that, as of February 1, 2013, you will be getting charged an additional $50? If so, that is more than sufficient notice in most instances.

    Glad your talk went well! :)
         
        01-05-2013, 11:42 PM
      #14
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sillyhorses    
    When you say board went up starting the day before, do you mean you paid January's board on the first, and you are being notified that, as of February 1, 2013, you will be getting charged an additional $50? If so, that is more than sufficient notice in most instances.

    Glad your talk went well! :)
    No, I meant they told us on Wednesday that board went up the day before. Negative day notice.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-07-2013, 09:27 AM
      #15
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by core    
    No, I meant they told us on Wednesday that board went up the day before. Negative day notice.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Does that mean if you payed them $400 on Tuesday (Jan 1), you now owe them an extra $50 because that is the day board increased? Or....does it mean that on Feb 1, you will owe them $450 instead of $400. The former would not impress me while the latter is kosher. I think that's what Sillyhorses is getting at as well.
         
        01-07-2013, 09:48 AM
      #16
    mls
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by core    
    and although they weren't sure of the length of time, they did seem very willing to drop board if/when feed costs decreased.
    I'm sure you are aware with the majority of the US in drought recovery, the chances of feed prices coming down is nil. Consumers were just warned that the price of everything associated with farming was impacted by the drought and 2013 is going to be a rather expensive year.
         
        01-07-2013, 10:39 AM
      #17
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesilverspear    
    Does that mean if you payed them $400 on Tuesday (Jan 1), you now owe them an extra $50 because that is the day board increased? Or....does it mean that on Feb 1, you will owe them $450 instead of $400. The former would not impress me while the latter is kosher. I think that's what Sillyhorses is getting at as well.
    I owe them $50. January's board increased by $50 and they didn't tell us until the day after it was due.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-07-2013, 10:42 AM
      #18
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mls    
    I'm sure you are aware with the majority of the US in drought recovery, the chances of feed prices coming down is nil. Consumers were just warned that the price of everything associated with farming was impacted by the drought and 2013 is going to be a rather expensive year.
    I'm certain you're right about costs not going down. I'm ever the optimist though. :)

    Things keep going up at the rate they are, I'll have to get out of horses completely. It'll break my heart, but it truly is an upper class hobby. Not for us poor lower middle class people. :(
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Questions, questions, questions! (mostly about Devon Horse Show!) jfisher256 Horse Shows 2 03-30-2012 01:34 PM
    Ultra sound questions and some feed and other questions... HalfPass Horse Health 7 06-18-2009 11:17 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0