Update on my poor baby boy first of all he's getting moved on Sunday fest thing in the morning as I came out today and he suddenly dropped south weight you can see his ribs when he moves and feel and count every single one and the flanks are sunken in making his kips poke out and he doesn't want to canter cause he sore (tested him
On the lung line today) I was in shock and in tears when I pulled the blanket off and saw his condition!
He so depressed and just ing to me all day while I was there. I'll be out first thing and all day tomorrow to make sure he is okay.
So frustrate but now have a plan and this barn is great an the BO is in the know of his condition and will be there to help me bring him back to health and will have the vet out to see what all I can do.
Should be interesting to see my trainer omitted again an see what all she has to say cause I could loose it with her but will do all my eat to sty calm and perfessional as it won't do anyone or Ollie any good if we start a ugly argument and she isn't worth the time to yell at.
I just can't beilive how much wright he has lost how I'll and depressed he looks and can't wait to load him up in the trailer!
You aren't failing your horse! You are doing the right thing getting him out of there. I was in a bad spot having to move my horse a few times in a short period and it affected her too. Horses get stressed from their home environment always changing. They need stability just as much as we do, but you made steps to make it better so just follow through, drop your trainer and start fresh when your horse is better. Good luck
So it's the farriers fault if the horses are standing in muck? Interesting theory.
Soft outside and hard indoors = sore feet. Farrier or feed doesn't play into it. We have one mare with soft feet. If it's wet for days - she gets tender.
It may not be the farriers fault. But I don't think that's the point. I think the point is the trainer asked for shoes to be put on the horse without permission. I agree that moving barns and switching trainers is a good move.Any trainer that would make a decision like that without discussing it with you doesn't respect you and should be fired. I'm sorry to hear your boy is underweight on top of everything else. But if this new barn is as good as you say then he should be feeling better pretty quick.
Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground. ~Author Unknown
Update, Saturday morning we had a huge talk with my trainer, tears frustration and laughing all the emotional works.
I hope I am not about to be geting negitive attention for this but I wanmt to be honest and tell you what happend.
So we hada huge "coming to Jesus" meeting sturday wmonring, layed eveything out the good, the bad, her faults, the boundries she has crossed ect ect. Told her my neds, my expectations, my concerns about my horse and what I felt needed to happen.
WE both came away from the meeting feeling better. I have made mistakes in the horse world and have learn getting up and leaving before confronting the issues with the BO/Trainer isnt fully fair on my part and when it comes down to it I felt "would moving him in this state, depressed, low weight, sore feet, anxity ect" be best for him and his helath. I wouldnt want to make his condtions worse and have to do more work and get him to settle into a whole new place after moving to this barn a month ago. I feel its best fr ollie to saty put now that we havea plan.
When talking to my trainer she was honest, she agreed she needed to step up and be there for both Ollie and I, she is also concerned about him and we made up a plan to start yet again figuring out whats going on with him. I felt for a young ttrainer to be honest and agree that she had/has some faults and apoligize and be proffesional about it (a bit late but better then never) was alot. I have metseen way to many young trainers not want their feelings hurt or told they are wrong and all of that so she really showed me she was committed to me, it wasnt a money issue or anything like that but she and I made a plan and she knows if by the end of this month if I still am feeling the way I am (i shouldnt though with our new plan) that I will be leaving her.
I feel I needed to be the bigger person and be upfront and perffesionall with her cause that's what I would want if I was in her shoes (even if I had done a few things wrong)
With our talk I came to understand a few things beter come to find out I wasnt getting the full story from her (now have it)
So I have this weekend off, Make up lessons schedualed, plan for treating/figuring out whats up with the Ollie boy and to keep meeting up and talk about how we are feeling and what we ant to do.
I know some of you porbably wont agree that this was a good choice and that I am young and maybe not putting the best intrest of Ollie first, but I am and I feel alot better after maning up and talking to her, not just leaving without talking about why and my issues and my concerns about Ollie.
For the soreness, He is doing alot better. I wont be putting shoes on him unless he remains sore but seems to be coming out of it with rest and light work. As for the weight issue he is now getting more hay with dinner and a flake of hay with his lunch, hopefully he will put those ribs away. Its not that they are poking out like a starved horse but you can see them when he moves and when you run you hand over his side you can for sure feel them. He got wormed this morning to make sure he didnt get any other persites in him when we moved, he is getting ulcer gaurd this week as well to rule out ulcers and I am making a dental apt for him for te end of this month or next. So with all that done and if he still is having issues iwth his weight I will be cunsulting my vet and maybe to doing blood work to see if that shows anything.
He looked much brighter on Saturday, his eyes were better, he was more eager and just looked in better spirits, so I felt relived about that. His soreness has gone away for the most part just one th gravel is he still ouchy but we have great new footing in our arena so lightly worked him saturday and fe looked/felt much better then last weekn and moved better the friday morning when I lunged him.
So that is where we are right now. I hope I odnt get replies saying I did the wrong thing as I feel I did the right, proffesional thing by my horse.
I have attached a picture of him from friday and yes it looks pretty sad, he isnt happy in the picture was really just ina blah state of mind. Saturday like I said he looked alot better just didnt get a picture.
Personally I think you would have been better off with no picture if you could;t get one from saturday. This one certainly is not helping ME think that you did what is best, but, that is your prerogative. I can only hope that you still have the opportunity to go to the other barn should you need to, and that you will be totally honest with yourself-and make sure he is getting all he needs. That picture makes me really sad, and I will tell you that if one of mine were in this situation, they would have been on their way, and THEN I may have had the discussion, since I do agree it is fair to let her know what the issues are. If mine looked like this I would already know that she was not the one I wanted caring for my horse. She could try with someone else's., but that is just me.
Ill be fallowing up with updated pictures. Of course this isnt a flatering picture of him,he isnt doing as good as he was when we first moved but if I were to move everytime somthing happend with him(seems to be the care as he isa high maintance horse) Id be a bad owner. So for now till he gets a bit healthier he will stay where he is and then if see fit to move him he will be ina better condition to better handle the stress of moving and may not take it as hard. But wth the descion I have made I now need to either know I ma moving him or not at the ned of the month. If I go with saying iI am in for the long run as long as he keeps improvng health wise I thinkI will have a better outcome then if I were to say I was still moving I may not have the right mind set when I go out there and that wouldnt help my sitiation at all or Oliver. SO now with our plan, being open and honest and lots more communication going on I need to stick with a plan and not be wishy washy for his sake.
I did that once. Horse was not happy, stressing out, dropping weight, but I tried to work with the barn owner on sorting it out, as I really liked her as a person. Like your trainer, she had the habit of making decisions about my horse for me, which did my head in, to say the least. When I would chat to her about why I was unhappy, she always allayed my fears and I thought, right, this is actually okay, we'll keep working with this and the horse will improve when spring grass comes through. By the time I was getting really antsy about the whole situation, I had the vet look at the horse's teeth and conclude she needed a fair bit of work done. I was leaning towards moving her at this point, but thought I would wait for her to put weight back on after her teeth were sorted, before doing so. She put a bit of weight back on, then stressed it off again and in the meantime, I continued having "boundaries issues" with the BO.
I moved the horse to a new barn. Turns out the move was much less stressful than keeping her where she was and I'd wished I had done it months before. Whoops.
Also, if a trainer kept working my horse when it was unwell or when I had told him/her not to, that person would have stopped being my trainer yesterday.
Reread your post and another thing jumped out at me: you said that the horse would be getting "more hay with dinner" and "a flake of hay with lunch." Quite frankly, I would try to avoid keeping my horse at a place where she didn't have ad lib hay and/or grazing more or less at all times. Especially if I had a horse who is prone to be stressy and lose weight. Free access to hay or grazing is one of the best and simplest ways to keep them healthy and keep weight on, as that's what their GI system is best designed to cope with.
I hope you've made the right decision but if it were my horse, I'd move. My rule of thumb these days is that when I feel like I need to be my horse's advocate all the bloody time, it's time to bail. The BO/trainer should be on my side when it comes to my horse's care and realise that as the owner, I'm the primary decision-maker for her. If I feel as though I have to confront them about this or that thing, or that they are crossing boundaries on a pretty regular basis, that's a big red flag. Doesn't matter how good their intentions are if it's driving me nuts and my horse isn't happy.
When I left the barn I described in my previous post, I was concerned the horse would lose even more weight due to the stress of the move (and she had none to lose at that point), but in fact, she was far less stressed the moment she stepped off the trailer at the new barn.