Actually they did have a place they could have put her, where she would have been quite safe, but they were unwilling to work with me at all. It had been my hope that we could have put her in the indoor arena for a few hours while I went to take my final, but there was pink fiberglass insulation exposed on the walls, and they refused to watch her for that period. At that point they were still angry that I'd called a vet out in the first place (they thought it reflected badly on them, which it didn't, until they complained about the vet visit). I think my situation was more out of spite than anything. But again, the vet visit would be the only reason. I tried to keep on good terms with everyone at that particular barn.
I perfectly understand the 30 day notice, and I agree with it, until it goes sour, as it did once for me. I had to pay double board again when the next place I went to was also unsuitable (it was on its way towards closing down due to a lack of funds). That didn't bother me, as they took excellent care of my horse. I just saw where it was heading, and decided to find a place before everyone else at the facility went too.
I appreciate the types of barn owners that waive the 30 day notice. It's not very necessary around here, as all of the barns have huge waiting lists since my previous barn closed. (There are only 3-4 good barns in the area, with 2 being at full capacity, and my previous barn displaced about 40 horses when they shut down.)