Question for BO's- board and deceased horse - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Boarding

Question for BO's- board and deceased horse

This is a discussion on Question for BO's- board and deceased horse within the Horse Boarding forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category

    Like Tree4Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-26-2012, 10:05 PM
      #11
    Yearling
    Is this the one with a sore tooth?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-26-2012, 11:51 PM
      #12
    Weanling
    I'm so sorry that you have to make this tough decision :/

    As a BO who has been in business for a long time, it is inevitable that horses (especially when you have long-term boarders with older horses) will have to be euthanized (hopefully it is due to a naturally occurring reason).

    Anytime we've had a horse die/euthanasia, we absolutely would not ever dream of sticking someone to a 30-day notice. That, as said on the previous page, is only applicable when the horse is being moved. I'm wondering why the BO hasn't noticed that your horse is "getting worse"? As a BO, at our farm we are very active in our farm's operations, and know each horse here inside and out. I dare say we know these horses better than their owners (considering we are with them 12+ hours a day, observing their behaviors, etc). Regardless, the decision to euthanize your horse is one that you should not be judged for, especially not by the BO.
         
        09-27-2012, 04:21 AM
      #13
    Weanling
    The BO does not live on the property, and only comes by once a week (two of the boarders are in charge of all feeding\cleaning, etc.
    And yes, this is the 4 year old with the teeth problems. I've been trying to come up with different things to do all night, but have not been able to come up with anything that works for myself, and my boy.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-27-2012, 09:53 AM
      #14
    mls
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gothicangel69    
    I won't be getting another horse for long time, so don't need to hold a stall. It took me 6 years to convince myself to get back into the horse world (after getting out because I lost my horse), so I doubt I'll be getting another horse for a while. I'm not even sure if I wan't to be around horses anymore.
    Posted via Mobile Device

    I'm very sorry. It's a rock and hard place thing knowing you are putting a horse down. Always wondering if you should of waited if something might change for the better.

    As far as getting out of horses - don't make that decision now. One foot in front of the other and see where your path takes you.

    Hang in there.
    Speed Racer likes this.
         
        09-27-2012, 09:57 AM
      #15
    Weanling
    I'm so very sorry for this difficult part of your journey...
         
        09-27-2012, 10:34 AM
      #16
    Weanling
    I know. I keep telling myself, well what if I did this, or that, then realize that I don't have the finances to do it at the moment, and he's going downhill by the day. He can't use the right side of his mouth anymore, he's in constant pain, his nose is draining a yellow cloudy mess, the vet doesn't want to prescribe antibiotics without expensive x-rays, and I'm worried about impaction colic as his stools are starting to have some longer hay stems in them than normal. I really feel like my best option is to put him down while I still have a bit of money left, instead of letting him suffer. I'm trying to put my emotions aside to make the decision, but its really hard. I need to call the vet today to discuss options, but the thought of doing so is making me sick to my stomach.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-27-2012, 11:43 AM
      #17
    Yearling
    The worst thing about talking it over with a vet is that after you make the decision and the appointment, they still try and talk you out of it when you get there. Like it wasn't hard enough to make the decision in the first place. Some vets I knew wouldn't second guess my decisions, but I had a particular vet that would try and squeeze in as much false hope and "we can do this test" possibilities as he could. It was heart wrenching to deny him, because I wanted my animal so bad, but it wasn't in his best interest.

    Stay strong. This is the right choice for you and your horse, and don't let the vet make you feel guilty over it.
         
        09-27-2012, 02:17 PM
      #18
    Weanling
    We've decided to give him one more week. I'm going to DEMAND antibiotics from the vet, and my friend and I are setting up a fundraiser page as a bunch of her friends want to help out (which is very sweet). If we can round the money up to ship him off for x-rays, then that's our next step. If not, and he's still in pain and no better by the end of next week, I'm going to put him down.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-27-2012, 03:04 PM
      #19
    Banned
    With your original question, I would expect to be out what I had paid for the month already - ie, I pay on the 1st, if I PTS on the 10th, I wouldn't expect a refund for the 20 days left in the month. However, I wouldn't expect to pay any kind of notice period.

    Sorry that you are in this situation.
    sillyhorses likes this.
         
        09-27-2012, 07:27 PM
      #20
    Weanling
    Thank you. I guess its pretty common not to expect to pay a notice. If I do end up having to put him down, I will still offer her an extra month, but I expect she will refuse if this is the standard practice.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Looking for a deceased 2 day old horse Inkyspal Horses for Sale 5 08-10-2012 09:38 AM
    Deceased Equine Removal? Creampuff Horse Law 15 01-18-2012 11:58 AM
    Tail frames for deceased horse jfsmoose Horse Talk 11 03-20-2011 03:37 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0