So this may be an odd question, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to start searching for boarding now, when I haven't even bought a horse yet.
I know basically what I'll be looking for as far as facilities, but without having the horse already, I won't be able to get into things like feeding, or herd dynamics. (IE, if I get an easy keeper, pasture board with hay supplemental in the winter, whereas a hard keeper might be better on In-out/paddock board with a full feeding schedule, things like that)
The issue is I guess, that I could find a great place tomorrow, but I might not find the right horse for me for months, so then I have the option of just waiting and seeing, or paying to hold the spot.
One other thing is that I know my coach would let me pay for a stall at her place if I needed it on a temporary or permanent basis. I would love to keep a horse there permanently for the standard of care is phenomenal, it's just that her place is SO far away, and it's up for sale. The distance isn't an issue for me so much now, for going out there a couple times a week, but with my own horse I know I'd be out there much more and the gas money, wear and tear on the vehicle and time spent would just add up and up. And then when her place sells I'd need to find a new place anyway.
So anyway, what would you do in my situation? Scope out places now, put up board wanted ads etc? Or wait until you had the horse and then start looking?