Tell me about your self care board experiences... - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Boarding

Tell me about your self care board experiences...

This is a discussion on Tell me about your self care board experiences... within the Horse Boarding forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • Can't afford my horse even on self care
  • A page on "about your self"

Like Tree14Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-21-2012, 07:19 PM
  #11
Started
Remember when its raining your out there, when your sick you need to go out there, when its Christmas day your out there. You need to find good hay and a seller you can trust. My friend and I do self boarding. We pay a low rate but we go out there everyday (the BO doesnt do anything for us). It has its benifets but I wouldnt get myself involved with other people unless you can %110 trust them. What happens when it was their day to do the horses and they are sick. Or if they go out of town for a week, and now you are "stuck" feeding? Really really think before you commit.

It sounds like you need to find a new barn, if the BO can't even feed your horse. What would your rates be if you did all your own stuff? I sure hope you wouldnt be paying they price you are now. Im not trying to discourage it but really know what you are getting into before!
jaydee likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-22-2012, 04:06 AM
  #12
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey02    
Remember when its raining your out there, when your sick you need to go out there, when its Christmas day your out there. You need to find good hay and a seller you can trust. My friend and I do self boarding. We pay a low rate but we go out there everyday (the BO doesnt do anything for us). It has its benifets but I wouldnt get myself involved with other people unless you can %110 trust them. What happens when it was their day to do the horses and they are sick. Or if they go out of town for a week, and now you are "stuck" feeding? Really really think before you commit.

It sounds like you need to find a new barn, if the BO can't even feed your horse. What would your rates be if you did all your own stuff? I sure hope you wouldnt be paying they price you are now. Im not trying to discourage it but really know what you are getting into before!
Yes....two winters ago it rained buckets for days....meaning the whole grounds was flooded. Still had to get hay from under tarps and make my way through six inches of mud to the hay bins in the pasture. Only dry spot was the arena where I had to get my horses to as often as possible. Yep, twice a day, at least....rain, sun, sleet, snow, earthquake....doesn't matter. You have the flu and are vomiting, you want to take a weekend trip with the girls....have to care for your horses. But I can say I that I love it. But, like I said, it is not for everyone.
Casey02 and jaydee like this.
     
    07-22-2012, 08:23 AM
  #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey02    
Remember when its raining your out there, when your sick you need to go out there, when its Christmas day your out there.
I know you are not complaining when you say this, but I just laugh everytime someone posts something like this. I guess I was raised around horses a little differently, always having them either at home or doing self-care.. I've never had full or partial board... I've always had to go out twice a day... So when I see stuff like this I just think, "Well, yeah, you own a horse, duh!"...

Personally, if I wasn't willing to put in the extra time to take care of my horse myself, and go out there everyday, twice a day, then I wouldn't own a horse. I don't like the idea of someone taking care of my horse for me, or spending more time with my horse than I would. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, people who own horses, but have full board and only ever go to the stable to ride, they never actually get a taste of real horse ownership... I'll probably get bashed for saying that, but oh well.
jaydee likes this.
     
    07-22-2012, 01:55 PM
  #14
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDraftGirl    
I know you are not complaining when you say this, but I just laugh everytime someone posts something like this. I guess I was raised around horses a little differently, always having them either at home or doing self-care.. I've never had full or partial board... I've always had to go out twice a day... So when I see stuff like this I just think, "Well, yeah, you own a horse, duh!"...

Personally, if I wasn't willing to put in the extra time to take care of my horse myself, and go out there everyday, twice a day, then I wouldn't own a horse. I don't like the idea of someone taking care of my horse for me, or spending more time with my horse than I would. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, people who own horses, but have full board and only ever go to the stable to ride, they never actually get a taste of real horse ownership... I'll probably get bashed for saying that, but oh well.
Thatdraftgirl I agree with you 100%...I think there are often two categories with horses....horseowners and horsemen/women.

Many people don't have a choice but to board their horses due to circumstance. Me being one of them that have to pick up at a moment's notice and move around due to the military. Then maybe a child that develops the horse interest and shows and competes etc and their parents don't have the means on their own property to have the horse or maybe keep up the expected care for a show/competetive horse.

'Horse owners' are those people who see their horse every so often....usually the day board is due to drop off the check. When they have their horses on their own property, they are the ones who rarely pay attention to their horse and feel it can just live eating their backyard grass and there is no other care or attention needed. They will go out and see the horse when company shows up and they want to pet it. I would say that these people made up most of the people at my last/first barn I ever boarded at. You never saw the horse owners. These horse were turned in and out at feeding where it was then seen how neglected their care was with hooves, coats, manes and tails, lameness and wounds.

'Horsemen/women' are those people who actually care about the animals needs daily, mentally and physically, whether or not someone else is feeding them or not. Even though I am not a fancy rider with fancy horses, I care for my horses everyday and often care for others horses too! I breaks my heart to see horses coming in and out to be fed by the BO and never receive any care from there actual owner. I would often brush those horses too or even just pet them while they ate. I remember one horse owner at our barn....she would take her gelding out on all day trail rides, come back, untack...horse completely sweaty and dirty, full of ticks....she would just turn it out to the pastures like that. My daughter would bring him in the barn later and we would hose him off and pick at ticks. Or someone who has an old 30 year old mare, rarely sees her owner, is skinny and only fed the cheap grain the BO provides, has no teeth, is eaten up by the flies, coat is never brushed and mane is in dreadlocks. Unreal to me, but true all too often.

Before this last move across the country....I flew out here to check out boarding facilities beforehand. When I saw that I could board my horses on the base where I lived down the street and was in charge of my own animals all the time....it was Heaven to me, despite the work. Nothing makes me happier.
     
    07-22-2012, 05:22 PM
  #15
Super Moderator
Board or part board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrider    
Thank you for all the input. I am still thinking it over, getting info on feed delivery options and whatnot. There is a boarder feed area but it is not really lockable and I do have some concerns with that because there have been complaints of missing grain and hay. I also really think I need a stall at this point, my horse is either getting eaten alive by flies or rubbed badly by his fly sheets and I think keeping him in during the day and out at night would be a better option for him.

I really have to think about the commitment to going twice a day and how I can work that into my schedule. Not easy but probably doable, and I know I would enjoy the extra time with him but I'm not so sure my husband and kids would enjoy me being away at the barn even more than I already am and that is something I need to be aware of as well.
Your situation sounds far from ideal and maybe its time to look for somewhere else to keep your horse not just how you keep him
Doing everything yourself isn't always just a twice a day thing unless you have someone you can totally rely on or pay to do things in certain situations then you are likely to struggle. If your horse is ill he might need checking on in the night and frequent checks in the day. You have to think who's going to be there for vet & farrrier visits. Our horses are kept at home and our day with them starts early in the morning and finishes late at night when they get their last check. When they're stabled their stables get regularly skipped out, they get hay and water topped up. The place has to kept tidy. Its hard work for anyone not used to it and you and your family have to be prepared to make sacrifices
     
    07-23-2012, 06:04 PM
  #16
Started
Quote:
I know you are not complaining when you say this, but I just laugh everytime someone posts something like this. I guess I was raised around horses a little differently, always having them either at home or doing self-care.. I've never had full or partial board... I've always had to go out twice a day... So when I see stuff like this I just think, "Well, yeah, you own a horse, duh!"...

Personally, if I wasn't willing to put in the extra time to take care of my horse myself, and go out there everyday, twice a day, then I wouldn't own a horse. I don't like the idea of someone taking care of my horse for me, or spending more time with my horse than I would. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, people who own horses, but have full board and only ever go to the stable to ride, they never actually get a taste of real horse ownership... I'll probably get bashed for saying that, but oh well.
Thats how I feel yes I board my horse BUT I am out there taking care of him. Sometimes I don't even feel like its boarding my horse because I can go out whenever, bring whoever, I do my own thing out there, its nice. I don't board at some big show barn where someone does all my work. I personally love doing everything for my horse and it will continue to be that way. I don't like people that visit there horse twice a month, expect it to be wonderful and remember that they are its owner. I don't feel like you can get a connection with a horse when you see it twice a month and just to ride him. Just today I went out there (had the vet coming out) even though it was 100 degrees I sat in the shade and let him graze after the vet was gone. I don't need to be praised for it. Its just what I do :)

No im not bashing big show barns...before someone attacks
ThatDraftGirl likes this.
     
    07-23-2012, 07:54 PM
  #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey02    
Thats how I feel yes I board my horse BUT I am out there taking care of him. Sometimes I don't even feel like its boarding my horse because I can go out whenever, bring whoever, I do my own thing out there, its nice. I don't board at some big show barn where someone does all my work. I personally love doing everything for my horse and it will continue to be that way. I don't like people that visit there horse twice a month, expect it to be wonderful and remember that they are its owner. I don't feel like you can get a connection with a horse when you see it twice a month and just to ride him. Just today I went out there (had the vet coming out) even though it was 100 degrees I sat in the shade and let him graze after the vet was gone. I don't need to be praised for it. Its just what I do :)

No im not bashing big show barns...before someone attacks
I support boarding because I understand that some people can't afford to own property where they can keep a horse, but they are still a responsible horse owner and go out and take care of their own horse. Some people rent and its not usually possible to be able to keep your horse at your rental...
Ripplewind likes this.
     
    07-23-2012, 11:14 PM
  #18
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDraftGirl    
I support boarding because I understand that some people can't afford to own property where they can keep a horse, but they are still a responsible horse owner and go out and take care of their own horse. Some people rent and its not usually possible to be able to keep your horse at your rental...
I support boarding....I don't support leaving your animal at a facility and never seeing it or know what is even going on with it.
Ripplewind likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I have full care stall board openings at my barn Smyrna TN Debramcneillclark Horse Boarding 2 05-27-2012 11:01 AM
Full care board OkieGal Horse Boarding 4 03-31-2012 07:46 PM
Board Away From Home... & Not Full Care cfralic Horse Boarding 9 12-20-2011 11:28 AM
Full Board vs. Self-care DutchFeather Horse Boarding 7 12-12-2011 03:31 PM
which is better 3 board or 4 board wood fence ididasku Barn Maintenance 5 04-25-2010 04:31 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0