Thinking about moving :(
I wrote elsewhere that I was having difficulty catching my horse in the pasture. The last few days I've been out to the farm have been getting better, but I wish I could get there every day.
I love love love the barn I'm at. The barn owner is very nice and the staff is wonderful! There are lots of places to ride too! It's a very family oriented place. There are a few things I would personally change, but I've been able to deal with with them thus far.
But now that my mare is on pasture board, I'm getting quite worried about my girl. She is on pasture board so she's not allowed to have a blanket. The pasture is big (about 8 acres +/-) with 8 mares. The pasture doesn't get cleaned. They even spread the manure from 16 stalls in the mare pasture. The horses have gradually moved to the back of the pasture over the last couple months as available grazing grass becomes limited. The only water supply in that pasture is a small pond. There are three (3!) flocks of geese that live in that pond! The pond stinks something awful and has a layer of green goo on the top.
Like I said, I love the barn I'm at, aside from those few things. For health reasons, I have to put my mare on pasture board (vet orders!). I never had an issue until I had to put her out there full time. But now I'm wondering if for health reasons if I should look at moving her. It's no easy decision. In addition to the other reasons, another factor is that it does take me 40 minutes to get to to the barn.
I have asked the barn owner if we could clean up the pasture (heck, I would help out too) and possibly get fresh water out there, but she won't do it. I even asked her if I could have my mare put in a different pasture. She told me that this is the way the barn has been run for years, and she won't do anything special for one horse/boarder. I understand. That's fine with me. But I notice now that my mare just stinks! Her manure smells like the pond, she seems grumpy all the time......
What would you do in this kind of situation? Would you stay? Or would you bite the bullet and find a different boarding situation?