What is your daily barn routine?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Barns, Boarding, and Farms > Horse Boarding

What is your daily barn routine?

This is a discussion on What is your daily barn routine? within the Horse Boarding forums, part of the Barns, Boarding, and Farms category
  • Daily barn summer schedule
  • How might you vary your horse stable routine in crap weather

Like Tree20Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-27-2012, 08:00 PM
  #1
Foal
Question What is your daily barn routine?

We may or may not be taking on ownership of a barn. I would like to know what everybody's cleaning/feeding/turn-out/turn-in schedule is.

The current schedule:
Currently, the barn only offers self-care. The boarders are responsible for cleaning their own stalls.
The horses get fed grain in the morning and grain and hay at night during the fall/winter schedule. Turn-out in from 6ish AM to 6ish PM (varies a bit).
The spring/summer schedule is grain and hay in the morning and grain at night. Turn-out from 6ish PM to 6ish AM as well.

My goal if possible:
Offer partial and full-care boarding. Full-care boarding stalls would be picked once after the horses are let out and if the stalls are dirty within an hour of being in after feeding (before we leave). Partial care stalls wouldn't be cleaned, as typically done.

Schedule (during fall/winter):
6:30 AM- Hay
7:30 AM- Grain
7:45 AM- Turn-out
8:00 AM- Clean personal and full-care stalls
~
7:45 PM- Drop Hay
8:00 PM- Turn-in
9:00 PM- Grain
9:15 PM- Last check over for stalls needing picked

I feel that they should be fed hay first so that they won't pick at it with full bellies and not get all the necessary nutrients in it. I just don't know if the feeding is too late at night.
What do you guys think? What do you do at your barn?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-27-2012, 08:02 PM
  #2
Foal
Schedule (during fall/winter):
6:30 AM- Hay
7:30 AM- Grain
7:45 AM- Turn-out
8:00 AM- Clean personal and full-care stalls
~
5:45 PM- Drop Hay
6:00 PM- Turn-in
9:00 PM- Grain (maybe an additional hay if the boarders request it)
9:15 PM- Check over for stalls needing picked

^ Is that one better? Should grain be THAT far apart from hay?
     
    11-27-2012, 08:20 PM
  #3
Trained
I would, regardless of full, partial or self care, take over the grain and hay feeding. To avoid one horse being fed, the neighbor not.
As for when, with two feedings, 12 hours in between, so 6am and again 6 pm. Hay half an hour before grain.
After horses are out, clean and bed stalls, get everything ready for evening feeding, leaving hay outside of stalls, so they still have the full ration for the night, even when they come in early due to bad weather.
Since I'd have my own horses there too, I'd actually feed 3 times, taking above hours, splitting morning feed in half and give second half at noon. For horses outside with grass or hay, only the sweetfeed/grain.
I would do additional cleaning only if horses stay in.
I also wouldn't feed so late. It's a long day already, no need to make it even longer. If days are shorter, give the bigger portions at night.
     
    11-27-2012, 08:34 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
I would, regardless of full, partial or self care, take over the grain and hay feeding. To avoid one horse being fed, the neighbor not.
As for when, with two feedings, 12 hours in between, so 6am and again 6 pm. Hay half an hour before grain.
After horses are out, clean and bed stalls, get everything ready for evening feeding, leaving hay outside of stalls, so they still have the full ration for the night, even when they come in early due to bad weather.
Since I'd have my own horses there too, I'd actually feed 3 times, taking above hours, splitting morning feed in half and give second half at noon. For horses outside with grass or hay, only the sweetfeed/grain.
I would do additional cleaning only if horses stay in.
I also wouldn't feed so late. It's a long day already, no need to make it even longer. If days are shorter, give the bigger portions at night.
You make great points. And yes, all of the horses are fed by the owner unless somebody wants to feed there horses another flake or something when they go down.
The problem with us being able to feed every 12 hours is we would always go back again at 9:00 to check on our own and give her more grain and hay since she's a quick eater and stirs everything together if she's given too much at one time. I don't know if that would be too much driving, but maybe not.

You say only to clean once? How come? Just because it's easier on us, or is that the typical full-care board thing?
     
    11-27-2012, 08:39 PM
  #5
Green Broke
Here's my barn's schedule for a sampling. It's a small, private barn with only 10-12 horses at a time. It's also located in the summer hell that is south Georgia, so our summer schedule has to keep horses out of the heat. Winter weather is lovely 90% of the time, so we keep horses out as much as possible.

Summer:

9:00 am: Horses brought in from pasture and placed in stalls or shaded paddocks. Everyone is given their morning grain meal (for most of them, this is their only meal of the day)

Time passes...

~8:30 pm: Sunset. Horses are put out to pasture for the night. Horses that are fed twice a day are given their afternoon grain.

~9:00 pm: Stalls are cleaned, paddocks picked, everything is reset for the morning.


Winter:

10:00 am: Horses are given their morning grain.

10:30 am: All horses are turned back out to pasture. Hay baskets are re-filled and eaten from throughout the day.

Time passes...

5:30 pm: Horses are given their afternoon grain and turned back out. If weather is especially bad, old horses and clipped horses are blanketed. Hay is spread for the night.


It's not rocket science, but it works for us.
     
    11-27-2012, 08:46 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighteyes    
Here's my barn's schedule for a sampling. It's a small, private barn with only 10-12 horses at a time. It's also located in the summer hell that is south Georgia, so our summer schedule has to keep horses out of the heat. Winter weather is lovely 90% of the time, so we keep horses out as much as possible.

Summer:

9:00 am: Horses brought in from pasture and placed in stalls or shaded paddocks. Everyone is given their morning grain meal (for most of them, this is their only meal of the day)

Time passes...

~8:30 pm: Sunset. Horses are put out to pasture for the night. Horses that are fed twice a day are given their afternoon grain.

~9:00 pm: Stalls are cleaned, paddocks picked, everything is reset for the morning.


Winter:

10:00 am: Horses are given their morning grain.

10:30 am: All horses are turned back out to pasture. Hay baskets are re-filled and eaten from throughout the day.

Time passes...

5:30 pm: Horses are given their afternoon grain and turned back out. If weather is especially bad, old horses and clipped horses are blanketed. Hay is spread for the night.


It's not rocket science, but it works for us.
You make this seem so simple and quick! Sounds like you also have a lot of free time to ride or actually not have to be around the barn.
     
    11-27-2012, 09:37 PM
  #7
Trained
At the beginning you will enjoy being at the barn all day, do a little here, have a chat, and so on. It will change, trust me
You will want to do things with your horse, watch somebody ride, do shopping, be there for hay delivery, etc etc etc.
As brighteyes said, weather dictates your schedule to a certain extend too.
And if horses are outside all day, come in, eat the grain, most likely there wont be more than one poop anyway.
Don't know what outside arrangements you have, but pasture in winter is not very nutritious, so you might want to feed the morning hay outside so they don't run on empty all day (ulcers).
Oh, and train your boarders to clean up after themselves, to not have a horse in the isle during feeding. Makes your life easier and is not too much asked.
InsaneDino likes this.
     
    11-27-2012, 10:43 PM
  #8
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneDino    
You make this seem so simple and quick! Sounds like you also have a lot of free time to ride or actually not have to be around the barn.
Oh yes! It's the best part of the arrangement. I make good use of all the extra time. I teach riding lessons three days a week, and the rest of the week is free for my personal riding OR relaxing at home during mid day.
InsaneDino likes this.
     
    11-27-2012, 11:13 PM
  #9
Weanling
I work at my boarding barn all day Saturday and this is how our schedule goes, at least on Saturdays:
As it is partially a training barn the number of horse there changes frequently, for that reason I don't have specific times written but generally we finish up morning chores by 1130 and start evening chores at 4, ending around 630 (not nearly as many stalls to pick out!)
Start at 7AM
- grain inside/outside horse + administer any meds
- hay horses staying inside
- put hay in paddocks with no grass for horses going out
- turn out horses + check automatic waterers
- pick out all dirty stalls
- sweep
- regrain for evening feeding
Start at 4 PM
- bring horses in + check automatic waterers
- grain inside/outside + administer any meds
- hay all horses staying in for the night
- pick out any stalls that need it
- sweep
- regrain for AM feed
- put the gator in the indoor for the night....if the last person the use it does not do this they are shunned (jokingly) for a few days, trying to wipe frost off of a gator at 715 in the morning is not very fun :)

And then around 11 the barn manager (who lives at the barn) does night check and gives a few horses more hay.

My advice is to first just figure out everything that needs to be done and then find a system that works for you (and your boarders) there is no specific "right" way to do it, just the way the gets everything done most efficiently.

Hope this helps :)
Posted via Mobile Device
InsaneDino likes this.
     
    11-27-2012, 11:38 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman    
At the beginning you will enjoy being at the barn all day, do a little here, have a chat, and so on. It will change, trust me
You will want to do things with your horse, watch somebody ride, do shopping, be there for hay delivery, etc etc etc.
As brighteyes said, weather dictates your schedule to a certain extend too.
And if horses are outside all day, come in, eat the grain, most likely there wont be more than one poop anyway.
Don't know what outside arrangements you have, but pasture in winter is not very nutritious, so you might want to feed the morning hay outside so they don't run on empty all day (ulcers).
Oh, and train your boarders to clean up after themselves, to not have a horse in the isle during feeding. Makes your life easier and is not too much asked.
I have worked at a barn for a few years before every day for about three hours (PM duty). I never once got tired of it. I find it so relaxing to put on some music, pick out some stalls, round up the horses, and listen to them munch away at their food. They make the food sound so good, I swear.

Oh gosh. Messy boarders are the worst. It's difficult though when they're paying customers, though. In this economy, you're lucky to have any type of boarder.

Edit: Oh yeah! I forgot, I'll occasionally throw out a few flakes for my horse and two others when they're pacing around and obviously showing signs of agitation and hunger. Usually, they still can find some pieces of grass, so they're typically content for the most part. I know it won't stay that way when the snow starts coming down...
     

Tags
boarding horses, daily, feeding schedule, routine, schedule

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's Your Daily Riding Routine? finn113 Horse Training 31 11-25-2012 02:30 PM
Daily vs Every Other Day? BrieannaKelly Horse Nutrition 7 10-13-2012 05:25 PM
new routine help? Horse Horse Riding Critique 0 04-01-2011 01:32 AM
What's your daily, hacking routine? apc11196 Horse Training 12 03-20-2010 12:08 AM
Barn Routine Waccamaw Horse Talk 2 04-09-2008 09:23 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0