**Flicka's 2011 Foaling Thread** - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

**Flicka's 2011 Foaling Thread**

This is a discussion on **Flicka's 2011 Foaling Thread** within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
      #11
    Foal
    Skipper, I am glad to hear it wasnt you who bred her... It sounds like you are giving her a great home, glad you chose her when you were looking to buy.. I personally would never leave a blanket on a mare that is about to foal... too many things can happen, but I do realize your concern about the temps and her not having any hair... is there someplace you can move her to where there is a barn....
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-09-2011, 03:11 PM
      #12
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uppidycowgirl    
    skipper, I am glad to hear it wasnt you who bred her... It sounds like you are giving her a great home, glad you chose her when you were looking to buy.. I personally would never leave a blanket on a mare that is about to foal... too many things can happen, but I do realize your concern about the temps and her not having any hair... is there someplace you can move her to where there is a barn....
    There are a couple people that I do know that might allow me to move her for a little while but I am not for sure. I was thinking about hooking up a couple heat lamps in her stall that way she would have a warm place to be. Her stall has a lot of straw in it right now too and I already have a liner and a regular blanket ready for the foal when it is born
         
        02-09-2011, 03:54 PM
      #13
    Foal
    Skipper, it sounds like you made the right choice in getting this mare... I am sure she is way better off with you then the man who use to own her... so now to you question... As you have been told, having a blanket on the mare is not wise when she is going to foal, even with the back straps off... mares tend to roll a lot when foaling and this will cause the blanket to get twisted up and could be a possible hazard for the foal.... My first choice would be to see if you can move her to someplace she can be inside... and if that is not possible, then I would just give her some extra grain at night with some hay so she can munch if she wants... horses keep their body temps up while digesting food so that will help her stay warm... Also unless your shelter is blocked in, she more then likely will NOT have the foal in there, mares like to make our lives difficult..as you will find out... :o) just realized that my other post took, I thought it didnt, sorry for doubling up, but a heat lamp will be a good idea also... good luck and stay in touch!
         
        02-09-2011, 04:08 PM
      #14
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uppidycowgirl    
    From someone who has adopted and saved numerous wild horses and have been involved with mustangs for a long time, I have to say that although they breed young in the wild, the mortality rate is very high!! So why risk it, and why not wait til the filly is fully developed... Also just because she comes into heat doesn't mean she needs to be bred... hmm young girls start having a period at 11 and 12.... so does that mean they are mentally or physically ready to be a mother.... I think not...
    I completely see your point. Nature obviously isn't interested in mental maturity and there is a load of risks involved in breeding young. Many do make it through the pregnancy, foaling, and raising okay. In the wild, they have so many things stacked against them it's amazing how the manage to survive day by day.

    Like I said, I would never personally breed that young. I gave my colt Red an extra year just to mature mentally and physically before breaking him to ride. I could have done it when he was four, but that extra year made a world of difference.

    It's always better to let a horse mature regardless if it's riding or breeding. But, if it was a true accident or if the mare was bought already pregnant. Then I don't see too much concern about it. So long as she is well cared for with a vet on-call, the whole ordeal should go over well. Even mature, experienced mares have problem pregnancies sometimes. Some things just can't be avoided.
         
        02-10-2011, 12:25 PM
      #15
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uppidycowgirl    
    Skipper, it sounds like you made the right choice in getting this mare... I am sure she is way better off with you then the man who use to own her... so now to you question... As you have been told, having a blanket on the mare is not wise when she is going to foal, even with the back straps off... mares tend to roll a lot when foaling and this will cause the blanket to get twisted up and could be a possible hazard for the foal.... My first choice would be to see if you can move her to someplace she can be inside... and if that is not possible, then I would just give her some extra grain at night with some hay so she can munch if she wants... horses keep their body temps up while digesting food so that will help her stay warm... Also unless your shelter is blocked in, she more then likely will NOT have the foal in there, mares like to make our lives difficult..as you will find out... :o) just realized that my other post took, I thought it didnt, sorry for doubling up, but a heat lamp will be a good idea also... good luck and stay in touch!
    Thanks for the tip! I am working on seeing if I can get her moved to a better facility. :)
         
        02-11-2011, 03:02 PM
      #16
    Foal
    Good afternoon everyone! Flicka is at 326 days today and her bag has filled a lot more over night. I WILL get photos today of her and try and get them posted by this evening. Regarding the blanket issue and trying to move her to a better facility, it doesn't look like it is going to happen. The people that have the nice barn that is fully enclosed is full with mares ready to foal as well. We decided we are going to panel off her stall area ( she will have approx. 20 foot long by 13 foot wide of an area). She will be closed off during the night, we are also going to hook up two heat lamps so we can get her blanket off of her so we don't risk any injury to her or the foal. During the day though she will be turned out in her big pasture. It has been trying to hit about 50* during the days here so she wont be needing her blanket during days.

    Will make sure and get some photos up that are updated! Thanks for all who reads and follows
         
        02-11-2011, 03:25 PM
      #17
    Foal
    I am sure everything will turn out fine!!! The heat lamps will help alot!! Keep up updated, can't wait to see the baby!!!
         
        02-11-2011, 04:37 PM
      #18
    Showing
    Waitin' on a baby! Maidens, it's always rough, isn't it? When Lulu was a maiden she didn't show any of the signs--no wax, no laying down, no biting at her sides, nothin'. Hope everything goes smoothly
         
        02-11-2011, 04:57 PM
      #19
    Yearling
    Yep, last maiden on the farm to foal looked like she was weeks off. Went to feed one morning and we found an adorable little pink filly in the stall with her! And yes, for a while after birth she was pink! Cutest thing ever, BO was keeping mama til she foaled because the owners had no experience with it so I haven't seen her since she was a few weeks old, but I believe she ended up being a pally like her mama. I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well for you and Flicka!!!!!
         
        02-11-2011, 04:59 PM
      #20
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uppidycowgirl    
    I am sure everything will turn out fine!!! The heat lamps will help alot!! Keep up updated, can't wait to see the baby!!!
    Thank you! I am super excited to see the baby too!
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    2011 Foals momo3boys Horse Breeding 447 05-25-2014 10:18 AM
    Calendar for 2011 TaMMa89 General Off Topic Discussion 14 02-05-2011 08:58 AM
    Liberty's foaling thread :) Poco1220 Horse Breeding 98 07-26-2010 11:55 PM
    Flicka's new doo... mom2pride Horse Pictures 13 12-31-2009 09:57 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0