7 Month Old Should We Move Her?
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

7 Month Old Should We Move Her?

This is a discussion on 7 Month Old Should We Move Her? within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By Celeste
    • 1 Post By MsLady

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-06-2013, 01:41 PM
      #1
    Yearling
    7 Month Old Should We Move Her?

    I'm new too all of this so please be kind. I am aware that if I post here I am opening my self up for any and all ridicule, just try not to throw the tomatoes too fast or too hard. As I have said on many other threads we were given a few horses back in May, one was an 11 year old palomino with a 5 month old filly by her side. We just realized a few weeks ago the palomino was bred back and will be due end of October first of November. We were going move the filly and wean her but Sage (her dam) is not letting her nurse. Any time cactus tries, Sage kicks, bucks or bites her. I haven't seen Cactus try in a few days. Sage is the Queen mare of the heard, Cactus isn't staying with her any longer she is hanging around the other horses. Should we still move Cactus, or has Sage taken care of the problem already? Thanks for your help.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-06-2013, 01:57 PM
      #2
    Trained
    It sounds like the mare already weaned her. You need to be absolutely sure because the new baby has got to get colostrum and an older baby will take it all away from the new one.
    smrobs likes this.
         
        07-06-2013, 02:37 PM
      #3
    Foal
    Sounds like momma is doing what come natural. By the time new foal arrives I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if your mare is already separated by that time to drop colt. Just keep an eye on them and if you notice she is nursing closer to delivery time then either move mom or filly. Good luck on the new delivery when it comes! Hope we all get to see pics ..hint hint. Lol
         
        07-06-2013, 02:48 PM
      #4
    Yearling
    Thanks for the advise, if I see Cactus nursing at all we will move her. And don't worry there will be plenty of pics!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        07-06-2013, 06:16 PM
      #5
    Started
    No reason not to keep them together. However, I presume you are working with the filly now, so obviously she will be away from her dam and the herd, at sometimes during the day. Glad to know the mares are with you now and won't be used as breeding machines.

    Lizzie
         
        07-06-2013, 07:57 PM
      #6
    Showing
    I think your mare is already doing what she needs to be doing. Do you have any other horses than just those 2? If you do, what I would do is still separate her to give mom a break and make sure that the filly is indeed weaned. If you do not have other horses, then I would let things be and keep an eye on the filly, because separating them will cause some stress to both the broodmare and the filly.
         
        07-06-2013, 10:11 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    We are working with all of the horses. The filly is now halter broke and is working on leading, and manners in general, she can be a little pushy come feeding time, not acceptable! Cactus, the filly lets us groom her and we are working on her letting us pick up her feet. Sage, her mom will let us groom her, but is not halter broke, we just brush her, apply fly spray and sun screen in the pasture or round pen. Then Cowboy my pride and joy ❤he is 2 months old and will be handled correctly! He is halter broke, picks up his feet and we are working on leading. His mother is 3 and is our problem child, she was not accepted by the heard when she was born ( I really don't know the whole story) so she is very spooky and does not trust anyone! We have finally got to where we can hold the feed bucket when she eats but we have not touched her yet. She has never had a problem letting us handle her foal, she is just unsure of us touching her. No more baby machines for us. After Sage has this next foal we are going to just let these ladies be horses for a while.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Merlot likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    To move or not to move...Part 2.. Cowgirls Boots Horse Talk 5 02-18-2013 04:35 AM
    How is her move arrowattack09 Western Riding 0 08-03-2012 10:27 PM
    How can I move up? domi12blue Horse Riding 3 07-03-2012 04:52 PM
    Possible move to UK knaskedov Horse Talk 7 02-14-2011 02:51 PM
    Comparisons. To move, or not to move? cosmomomo Barn Maintenance 4 12-12-2010 11:33 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:42 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0