APHA colt - The Horse Forum

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
APHA colt

Some of you may remember gunner. Sadly from a few personal problems he has not yet been registered. So he will be cut unless he's papered and has a phenomenal conformation and personality. Here he is now, five month old. His dam is 15.2hh and his sire is 16hh. He was a very careful colt, but now he allows me to scratch him, pet him and mess with him everywhere. He is still weary of being caught, but I don't want to rush the poor guy into being scared. I'm taking my time, letting him trust me completely and willingly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CYMERA_20131102_112816.jpg (94.1 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg CYMERA_20131102_112800.jpg (99.9 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg CYMERA_20131102_112618.jpg (99.0 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg CYMERA_20130910_183402.jpg (61.9 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg CYMERA_20130910_183253.jpg (70.3 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg CYMERA_20130910_182855.jpg (47.1 KB, 174 views)
Aesthetic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 11-12-2013, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
any thoughts on this young lad?
Aesthetic is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 11-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,167
• Horses: 5
He looks decently put together, and is flashy enough if you like medicine hats - but he doesn't scream stud prospect to me. He's cute, and as foals it is hard to judge what faults will completely go away with time, or what may stay. If I remember right, your other threads were debating whether to keep him whole or not? I think he'd make a neat gelding, personally, and I wouldn't bother gambling with his future. If you are still considering keeping him a stud, there is nothing wrong with waiting and feeling him out. If he isn't even weaned yet it is a bit early to judge what his personality and conformation will develop into. But the world has enough colorful stud prospects, so it wouldn't be too selfish to keep a beautiful gelding for yourself. ;)
ButtInTheDirt is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 11-26-2013, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtInTheDirt View Post
He looks decently put together, and is flashy enough if you like medicine hats - but he doesn't scream stud prospect to me. He's cute, and as foals it is hard to judge what faults will completely go away with time, or what may stay. If I remember right, your other threads were debating whether to keep him whole or not? I think he'd make a neat gelding, personally, and I wouldn't bother gambling with his future. If you are still considering keeping him a stud, there is nothing wrong with waiting and feeling him out. If he isn't even weaned yet it is a bit early to judge what his personality and conformation will develop into. But the world has enough colorful stud prospects, so it wouldn't be too selfish to keep a beautiful gelding for yourself. ;)
I'm still unsure, he will start his weaning in about two weeks. If I do cut him, he won't be cut until he's well close to two or three years old. A well known breeder around here does this with her geldings, I want to say...to let them fill out?
I really want to wait and see what he turns into before I cut him, if he turns out well no telling what I will do. The owner of his sire is very interested in me keeping him a stallion if he turns out well, she'd like to use him on a few of her show mares but I'm iffy on considering that being the reason he's intact.
All will tell with the next year to year and a half.
But I have a question for you, does keeping them intact allow their body to develop like a stud before you cut him? I can't find a way to explain what i'm meaning besides making him a stocky, 'studly' looking gelding?
Aesthetic is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 11-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,659
• Horses: 12
The younger they are cut the leaner and more feminine they appear. Allowing the extra time allows them to bulk and develop a thicker neck. The only people I know that allow a colt they know they are going geld keep his equipment until two are those that are showing halter. If I know I have a safe place to keep a colt then I'll let him keep them until between 9 months and a year. I find they have filled out adequately at that point and usually by that time it is cooler with fewer flies. Unless they are a stallion prospect it is too much of a hassle to let them keep their goods past that point. If we are mare heavy and little space to keep them apart as soon as they drop the vet is called. ETA body and mind develop and sometimes that can make a big impact on how tractable and easy to handle they are.
Corporal likes this.
QtrBel is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 11-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,620
• Horses: 0
"Gelding a colt early in his life will result in a slower closing of the growth plates, which in turn can allow the gelded horse to grow taller."

So leaving him a stud later could potentially stunt his growth a little. He might be stockier, but he will be shorter.


oh vair oh is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 11-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,132
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by QtrBel View Post
The younger they are cut the leaner and more feminine they appear. Allowing the extra time allows them to bulk and develop a thicker neck. The only people I know that allow a colt they know they are going geld keep his equipment until two are those that are showing halter. If I know I have a safe place to keep a colt then I'll let him keep them until between 9 months and a year. I find they have filled out adequately at that point and usually by that time it is cooler with fewer flies. Unless they are a stallion prospect it is too much of a hassle to let them keep their goods past that point. If we are mare heavy and little space to keep them apart as soon as they drop the vet is called. ETA body and mind develop and sometimes that can make a big impact on how tractable and easy to handle they are.
This isn't necessarily true. I know horses that were gelded young and sure don't look feminine. A lot of the bulk built up (thicker neck, etc) while intact can and usually does disappears after gelding...
NdAppy is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 11-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,425
• Horses: 6
Just a small thought, my colt was extremely, and I do mean EXTREMELY knock-kneed as a foal and he grew out of it. So there are foals that grow out of conformation flaws.
Corporal likes this.
Ladybug2001 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 11-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Ale
Yearling
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,189
• Horses: 1
I don't know much about conformation or things of that nature, but I think he's a beautiful little boy and the blue eye color, oh wow! Are both of his eyes blue or just one?
Ale is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 11-26-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
I don't know much about conformation or things of that nature, but I think he's a beautiful little boy and the blue eye color, oh wow! Are both of his eyes blue or just one?
Just one eye is blue
Posted via Mobile Device
Aesthetic is offline  
Reply

Tags
5months , colt , gunner , paint

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Critique APHA colt TimWhit91 Horse Conformation Critique 15 10-04-2013 10:48 AM
Potential Buy APHA Colt / APHA Look Up SRCM16 Horse Talk 18 06-24-2013 05:26 PM
Update of 2yr APHA colt TimWhit91 Horse Conformation Critique 10 05-12-2012 06:40 PM
Register APHA Colt? Zorra1307 Horse Breeding 14 09-04-2009 11:50 PM
critique my 2 yr old apha colt ashleym100 Horse Riding Critique 9 04-27-2009 09:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome