I took my mare to the breeders the day after I noticed her squirting, winking, acting as if she was in season, etc... (April 29th). Upon intro to the stallion he of course was very excited to meet her, but she didn't allow him to mount. She wasn't kicking or pinning her ears back or anything just would sniff him then walk away and of course peeing. I left her and 2 weeks later the stallion owner told me she did not witness him breed her, but said she would leave them together to see if she would come back in so I didn't have to take her all the way home just to take her back and so the trip wasn't for nothing.
She later called me and said that she wasn't showing any interest in him and had not come back in. I drove up to pay her board (it was getting fairly dark) and as soon as my mare saw me she whinnied then backed up to the stallion and let him mount her. This was the first and only witnessed breeding. I let the stallion owner know as she was out of town and left her hubby in charge. My mare wasn't squirting or winking or showing any signs besides letting him mount. I then left her for awhile longer and picked her up May 30th.
I asked the breeder for their last day of breeding and she told me 2 days after I witnessed him cover her she had heard some noises at night. To be safe I just calculated her expectant foaling date based off May 29th (the last night she was in with him). She was checked and confirmed in foal however after reading other threads on here I was wondering if it would be safer to assume she could have been bred and taken when I first brought her on April 29th (so through May 6th)? Giving her a safe foaling as early as March 22nd (April 1 average) or if I should just stick with April 23rd as the earliest safe foaling? This is a foaling I absolutely want to be present for as she is a maiden (I'm sure she will do fine, but I'd rather be safe than sorry).
Could she very well have bred and taken when she was delivered and nobody witnessed her being covered because she was so secretive and would only allow him to cover her at night and then let him cover her later because she's a flirt? (She had let a stallion cover her when she showed no signs before, but no foal resulted of course because of timing. This stallion too only when it got dark.) Would my vet have noticed her being further when she was checked or mot have thought anything of it? Being a maiden I know she can not show any signs and she would be the mare to do that, so waiting for a bag etc.. probably won't be my best bet though I will definitely be checking her. It also would help so I can know whether or not to be alarmed if she were to go earlier than I would have expected (April 23rd or May 3rd). She would have been exposed to him April 29th-May 30th.
Sorry I may just be complicating it more in my head lol. Probably because I have a mare in foal with a palomino colt/filly and have absolutely no idea when she's actually due besides an estimate of May sometime.