Monitoring the mare, and palpating her to pinpoint ovulation and timing the insemination - THAT takes some skill and training.
Agree 100% ...
And what gets very frustrating for me as a Stallion Owner is when a Mare Owner does not follow through to the end. They *assume* the mare has ovulated, and that follicle hasnt hung there, or there isnt a split cycle, or, or, or ... and they never get her checked after insemination to make sure that isnt the case. Or they *assume* the mare is pregnant, because she looks
like she is in foal now ...
... but don't want to have the vet out, and on and on it goes ...
And on that subject, it also drives me around the bend whacky, when *I*
need to tell the Mare Owner what to ask their vet so that *I*
can determine if they really should be ordering semen today instead of tomorrow or later on in the week. And their vet is RIGHT THERE with the ultrasound and I am 500 or 800 or 1000 miles away ...
Favorite situation. Warmblood mare is on a 29mm follicle and MO calls me and orders semen and I asked how big the follicle was and was told 29mm and after I got over my dumfoundedness and found out the vet was still there, I asked:
A) WHY are we ordering semen this early for a WB mare especially who tend to ovulate in ther 50-60mm range???
B) is there any softening of the follicle at ALL???
C) is there ANY uterine edema present???
D) are there any uterine folds evident anywhere???
E) and if he insists on semen today and dumps this much volume into a mare that isnt even close to being ready to ovulate, does he intend to follow up with oxytocin to help clear the uterus of all of the fluid he intends to dump in there???
Vet didnt answer and told the MO to tell me that "I ask too many questions that he is not able to answer"
So she then asked ME what SHE should do. (This was a Monday BTW ...)
I said to wait. If it was my mare and my money I'd wait and have him back out on Thursday and maybe Friday, depending on what they saw then. They ended up ordering semen on FRIDAY, inseminated on Saturday and the mare was in foal 17 days later
I deal with some absolutely wonderful vets out there and its such a pleasure to work with them and others that leave you scratching your head in wonderment ... And the REAL kicker is when they point out that you are JUST
a Stallion Owner. YOU
didnt go to vet school for many years like they did and are you going to send the semen or not? And quit asking so many questions too ...
My Number One bit of advice is for ALL Mare Owner to find out as much info as they can about the whole breeding process so they can open up a dialogue with their vets and questions things that just don't seem to be right at all. Its your money and your mare - don't willy nilly follow everything they say, especially if you KNOW it doesnt make sense or sound right ...