Bella and Penny's Foaling Thread - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Bella and Penny's Foaling Thread

This is a discussion on Bella and Penny's Foaling Thread within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Maiden mare with bright red vulva
  • Bellissima vulva

Like Tree36Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-02-2012, 10:27 PM
  #21
Weanling
So Penny is wanting to drive me nuts with a possible early foal.

She's only 306 days but showing signs. Getting slab sided, no resistance in tail, topline showing, soft flanks, have not done the measuring of the vulva. Bag has been getting bigger on a regular basis. She's a maiden and I worry it's too early. Otherwise she seems in excellent health though. I really don't need this right now.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-03-2012, 02:33 AM
  #22
Started
Keep an eye on her. She may be starting a roller coaster ride of ups, downs, with forwards and backwards. She may start getting hard again, then soft, then hard and so on and so forth. It is all to cause you restless nights, high stress and a loss of sanity. Watch for wax, her vulva turning deep red, and other signs she will hopefully show before dropping a beautiful, healthy foal. It is a long process (sometimes months), for a mare to get her body totally ready for delivery (some mares show no signs until the feet are sticking out lol). If you are really worried, have the vet check her out and put to ease your fears

Good luck and keep us posted :)
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-03-2012, 11:16 AM
  #23
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDraco    
Keep an eye on her. She may be starting a roller coaster ride of ups, downs, with forwards and backwards. She may start getting hard again, then soft, then hard and so on and so forth. It is all to cause you restless nights, high stress and a loss of sanity. Watch for wax, her vulva turning deep red, and other signs she will hopefully show before dropping a beautiful, healthy foal. It is a long process (sometimes months), for a mare to get her body totally ready for delivery (some mares show no signs until the feet are sticking out lol). If you are really worried, have the vet check her out and put to ease your fears

Good luck and keep us posted :)
Posted via Mobile Device
So far no roller coaster with this girl. She's been slowly but steadily progressing. Right now I can just hope she slows down more. Last year I had a mare who gave me the roller coaster... for two bloody weeks she waxed, had sleepless nights, and looked just plain miserable (about as miserable as I looked after those two weeks)
I'm not panicked yet as she still looks and acts healthy overall. She didn't eat up her hay last night and she's usually cleans up so I'm doing spot checks right now in the middle of the night. Any more progress and its sleep in the barn time. Thankfully its Spring Break for me right now.
     
    03-04-2012, 10:00 PM
  #24
Started
I have a maiden mare doing the same thing, also at 306 days. We've been keeping a close eye on her and have her in the foaling stall just in case. Good luck! These girls....
     
    03-05-2012, 12:01 AM
  #25
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover    
So Penny is wanting to drive me nuts with a possible early foal.

She's only 306 days but showing signs. Getting slab sided, no resistance in tail, topline showing, soft flanks, have not done the measuring of the vulva. Bag has been getting bigger on a regular basis. She's a maiden and I worry it's too early. Otherwise she seems in excellent health though. I really don't need this right now.
Well if I were I would call the vet......you don't want a foal born before 320 .......you could be dealing with placentitis.

Super Nova
     
    03-05-2012, 12:04 PM
  #26
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nova    
Well if I were I would call the vet......you don't want a foal born before 320 .......you could be dealing with placentitis.

Super Nova
Other than looking ready to foal she shows no problems or distress. She is still alert, eating and drinking well, and still gets that big body moving across the pasture pretty quickly. Faster than I did when I was in my last month.

I'm keeping a close eye on her, and part of my worry can be from me overreacting (I inherited a worry gene from my mother).
     
    03-05-2012, 12:08 PM
  #27
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDraco    
Keep an eye on her. She may be starting a roller coaster ride of ups, downs, with forwards and backwards. She may start getting hard again, then soft, then hard and so on and so forth. It is all to cause you restless nights, high stress and a loss of sanity. Watch for wax, her vulva turning deep red, and other signs she will hopefully show before dropping a beautiful, healthy foal. It is a long process (sometimes months), for a mare to get her body totally ready for delivery (some mares show no signs until the feet are sticking out lol). If you are really worried, have the vet check her out and put to ease your fears

Good luck and keep us posted :)
Posted via Mobile Device
I take it back... she's regressed a little now in the past couple days. Still a nice size bag but she regained some of her roundness and muscle strength. I will have to start looking for the deep red vulva (that's a new one for me).

Of course now Bella has decided she doesn't want to be left behind and has started filling her bag quickly.

I am really hoping now I don't end up with a two in one night deal.
     
    03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
  #28
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_image    
I have a maiden mare doing the same thing, also at 306 days. We've been keeping a close eye on her and have her in the foaling stall just in case. Good luck! These girls....
I know... and watch them go all the way to due date. They just don't like us getting sleep. It's revenge for stuffing them in a foaling stall.
     
    03-05-2012, 12:56 PM
  #29
Started
Quote:
I know... and watch them go all the way to due date. They just don't like us getting sleep. It's revenge for stuffing them in a foaling stall.
I think its revenge for being bred in the first place! Poor girls, they're huge...
     
    03-10-2012, 10:01 PM
  #30
Weanling
Well lets see

Penny - Day 314 - So her udder went back down, her belly went round, and she decided she wasn't ready... which really is a good thing. She's still fairly soft behind and her tail has little resistence so I'm keeping an eye on her. Tonight she had quite the gurgly tummy. I asked her if she had a foal or a baby lion in there. She's quite the love bug now and was enjoying her evening brushing very much.

I try to do a lot of fussing with the mares this final month so that when it's time to play with babies, mom doesn't care as much.

Bella - Day 325 - Udder has expanded, I'd say at least 60% if not more. It's my first year with her so I'm not sure how big 100% is for her. She's getting quite sunken on the top and most definitely looks in foal. She waited so long I was starting to think maybe she had slipped. Not as soft as Penny behind and plenty of tail strength... I can tell when I try looking at her vulva . Bella has actually done a reversal. She usually loves being scratched and rubbed on but now only likes her head itched. No listening to the belly for this girl.
SunnyDraco likes this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lena's Foaling Thread Ladybug2001 Horse Breeding 1093 02-11-2013 12:10 AM
Delilah's Foaling Thread! racheld90 Horse Breeding 52 06-20-2012 08:43 PM
Toppa's foaling thread cmarie Horse Breeding 145 04-06-2012 06:23 PM
Honey's Foaling Thread Yeti Horse Breeding 50 02-03-2012 10:59 PM
Liberty's foaling thread :) Poco1220 Horse Breeding 98 07-26-2010 11:55 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0