Biting and Rearing foal
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Biting and Rearing foal

This is a discussion on Biting and Rearing foal within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • How to stop a colt from bitting, he is 2 weeks old
  • Stop foal biting

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-25-2011, 08:56 PM
  #1
Foal
Biting and Rearing foal

Hmm, not so sure if this belongs here or in the training area of the forum, but figure this section would have more knowledge with babies... My colt will be 2 weeks old tomorrow! Until a couple days ago, he has been the friendliest thing, comes right up when I go to visit, and lets me rub and touch all over. The owners of the barn he is at have grandchildren that live across the street and these kids are total BRATS with no manners. No matter how many times I've told them not to go in the pen and mess with the baby, it seems like every time I pull up, they are in there. These kids are constantly in the pen playing with him, allowing to think it is ok to rear, nip, and kick... Since 2 days ago, now he runs up and tries to rear on me. Today when I went to visit him, he would not let me touch him without trying to take a chunk out of my arm. How should I let him know this is not ok? I've heard of pinching the neck when they bite, or smacking the legs with a lead rope when he rears, what would be the best way to let him know that is not acceptable?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-25-2011, 09:03 PM
  #2
Green Broke
I pinch the lip when they bit or bump him in the nose.
Have you got a halter on him yet? I've found almost all foals go through this sort of stage because they're still testing their boundaries and don't know that they have to respect you. This will start to develope more as you start halterbreaking & making him do stuff.
Is he out with other horses or just mom? Being with other horses can teach him lessons as well, such as personal space & respect.
As for the rearing, I would push him back & bump him in the chest or legs like you said.
     
    04-25-2011, 09:08 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilruffian    
I pinch the lip when they bit or bump him in the nose.
Have you got a halter on him yet? I've found almost all foals go through this sort of stage because they're still testing their boundaries and don't know that they have to respect you. This will start to develope more as you start halterbreaking & making him do stuff.
Is he out with other horses or just mom? Being with other horses can teach him lessons as well, such as personal space & respect.
As for the rearing, I would push him back & bump him in the chest or legs like you said.
Thanks for the advice. He does wear a halter, but he just now got comfortable with wearing it so I havent started to lead him or anything yet... And yep he is just with mama right now. I have another mare and a gelding and thought about putting one in there with them. My other mare is a witch towards other horses tho, I would be scared she would try to kill him or something.
     
    04-25-2011, 09:15 PM
  #4
Green Broke
Well mama will take care of him. She might take him off somwhere for a little while, but foals are usually pretty easy to push around, so I havent seen very many "miserable" horses get too aggressive with them (unless it's a stallion who wants to breed the mom).
I got my foals used to halters before actually training them too. When they were about a month old & used to wearing the halter, having it put on & seeing ropes around, then I started teaching them to lead. It helps that your guy sounds friendly.
     
    04-25-2011, 09:21 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilruffian    
Well mama will take care of him. She might take him off somwhere for a little while, but foals are usually pretty easy to push around, so I havent seen very many "miserable" horses get too aggressive with them (unless it's a stallion who wants to breed the mom).
I got my foals used to halters before actually training them too. When they were about a month old & used to wearing the halter, having it put on & seeing ropes around, then I started teaching them to lead. It helps that your guy sounds friendly.
At first I thought you were trying to say the dam would take care of the foal, I was about to go after you but I re-read it.

Though, don't worry about the gelding, the colts mother will not let him touch her foal.

I agree on one thing, I think all foals go through the stage of rearing and biting. Though normally the rearing happens a bit later. But it could be because the children that have been messing with him that he has started it pretty early. Biting is normal for foals, they are practically teething though it doesn't make it okay, I know. So what you should do is either bump him on the nose and tell him "No" firmly or grab his lip like the other person suggested.
     
    04-26-2011, 01:45 AM
  #6
Foal
Thank you !
     
    04-26-2011, 04:47 PM
  #7
Started
I would have a serious word with the parents and grandparents of these children. It sounds as though they are teaching this colt, that humans are siblings. You can bet your life, that the first time the colts kicks one of them in the teeth, you will be the one to pay. This will only get worse as the colt grows.

Can you move your horses to a different facility?

Lizzie
     
    04-26-2011, 05:24 PM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet    
I would have a serious word with the parents and grandparents of these children. It sounds as though they are teaching this colt, that humans are siblings. You can bet your life, that the first time the colts kicks one of them in the teeth, you will be the one to pay. This will only get worse as the colt grows.

Can you move your horses to a different facility?

Lizzie
Agree'd. You already got great advice on dealing with his behavior issues. But boy oh boy, I would go off the wall if I found 'unauthorized children' playing with my foal!

Not only because they could get seriously injured and YOU will be at fault, but also because they are severely degrading the worth of the animal by encouraging behavioral problems. Your (for example) $5,000 dollar foal is suddenly a $500 foal because he thinks it's okay to bite and rear on people.

Kids think it's cute because he's what, 100-200 pounds? Can you imagine that at 1,200 pounds? Oh my god.


I love to play with my horses, but they understand that rearing and kicking is not okay within 'My Area'. If they take off racing around the pasture, they can do backflips if it tickles their fancy! But within two horse lengths of me, any kind of behavior that could lead to a dangerous situation is strictly forbidden. No biting, no kicking, rearing, bucking, etc.

A lot of horses and youngsters absolutely love to play with 'their people'. My little two year old gelding thinks it's the greatest thing since pelleted grain.
I make a 'scary' noise or posture, and he tries to mimic it. It's hilarious watching him bounce and snort and squeal then stop and look at me all: "DO IT AGAIN! 8D"

The rest of the time however, I expect calm, attentive behavior. No nibbling on the lead rope, no dragging me across the yard for grass, no invading my bubble and running me over, no kicks, no bucks, no nothing.

Playing is a great way to bond with your horse, but at the same time, it has to be done safely for both you AND your equine. What those kids are doing is borderline suicidal.
     
    04-26-2011, 05:41 PM
  #9
Super Moderator
If parents don't deal with their kids behavior, THEY can be held accountable. These kids may be chasing the foal, as play, and they seriously are in danger of running him into fencing etc.

I would go to the parents, tell them in no uncertain terms, that you will hold THEM accountable if this continues. Tell your barn owner that if this does not get addressed, you will consider looking for another barn where your foal will not be so endangered....and MEAN it.
     
    04-27-2011, 12:13 AM
  #10
Foal
I am just now reading this because of all the crazy storms and TORNADOES we have had this afternoon.

I did finally get a chance to speak with the kids parents/grandparents this morning and told them pretty much the same thing's yall have mentioned. I was told they will not be back in there anymore. Amazingly enough (probably just a coincidence i'm sure) when I went out today he made no attepmts towards rearing at me and only tried to bite me once which he stopped after I pinched his lip.

The only thing that concerns me now, is the feild he is in is right on a road and EVERY car that drives by wants to stop and go pet him over the fence, and I'm sure all these people wont know any better than to let him get away with the biting.. Guess I am going to have to make a sign to put up or something to not pet the baby.

Wow I talk too much! Thank you all for the feed back!!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biting? Coyote Horse Training 6 11-14-2010 06:09 AM
Biting... Yes, but something very different... kitten_Val Horse Training 29 08-20-2010 07:53 AM
biting jjj3 Horse Training 10 08-18-2010 12:42 PM
Foal, foal, cute little foal!!!!!!!! PIC OVERLOAD! DutchHorse Horse Pictures 9 07-21-2008 10:19 PM
Biting agentspades Horse Training 30 08-16-2007 07:28 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0