So my friend just picked up this stallion that she planned on gelding until I started looking at his bloodlines. He has 12 of the foundation quarter horses in his bloodlines and they are bred into him about 60 times! And no Thoroughbreds in it since the 1940. Pocos Tardybar Bingo Quarter Horse
If you cannot open the link the stallions (and the number of times I counted them appearing in his pedigree) are Kings #p-234 (9), Poco Bueno (2), Old Sorrel (24), Peppy (3), Wimpy P-1 (4) Midnight (7), Skipper W (1), Plaudit (5), Driftwood (1), Leo (1), Joe Reed II (1) and Three Bars (2).
He's a VERY nice looking horse! He's turning 14 in a few days, and still a stallion, and her first horse since she was a kid! So she will be learning on him. Which I obviously was against until I met him. I have not met such a well mannered horse EVER! Stallion or not, he is the calmest and most obedient fellow! We do not know if he has ever been bred and we will be testing his manners with a mare in season in the next week. If he passes that she is going to wait to geld him until fall hits to prevent infection. HE WILL be kept alone in his own field well away from any other mares.
I was wondering what you all thought about his bloodlines. I havent seen that many big names in a pedigree before! I am going to talk to her about having his foundation percentage checked more accurately by the AQHA/FQHA and double registering him. AND to possible breed him to save the bloodline. I told her, that she should breed him with ONLY another QH and no mutts if she chooses to do so.
What I'm wanting to know is should she NOT geld him? I wanted to be sure she isnt cutting off a great bloodline BEFORE passing it along to another breeder who can keep it going.
*On a side note: I am AGAINST breeding to the extent of breeding mutts to mutts and so forth. I DO however support breeding in order to keep the good bloodlines of a breed though. I think he MAY be one of those that should be bred. I don't know anything about the rarity of these lines, so that's all I'm asking. Is his worth saving? If so I may try to talk her into at least freezing the sperm before castration.... Depending on his behavior around a mare in season it may happen sooner than later....