Breeding Ages Questions??? - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 104
• Horses: 4
Question Breeding Ages Questions???

Does anyone know how old an Arabian Stallion has/should be to breed? Also Whats the oldest an Arabian mare should be to breed? Also does anyone know of any good arabians to breed to that are in or near Indiana?
13kielj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: dunalk,ireland
Posts: 71
• Horses: 2
Red face Does anyone know how old an arabian has to be to breed?

Hey im a owner of an arabian and i think im not sure though but i think the age you start breeding at is 3/4 and the age you finish is around 15/16
Maire995 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Far From Sanity
Posts: 2,284
• Horses: 0
Stud colts can breed as early as six months and I have heard of mares foaling out in their late 20's. I personally don't believe horses should be bred before 4-5 at least and until they have a show record AND they are broke. JMO. there are just tooooo many unwanted horses to make more horses that aren't spectacular!
Piaffe is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 02-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 735
• Horses: 1
An owner might test breed a few proven mares to a good stallion prospect when stallion prospect is 2 or 3 years old, and then continue on showing and promoting the stallion prospect-- if the "test crop" is not up to par, the prospect can be gelded before alot more time and money is invested into a show career and advertising as a stallion prospect-- if the test crop looks favorable, the stallion's career and promotion can continue and there will also be some early offspring growing up that can begin their show and competition careers, and show prospective mare owners what the stallion is siring.

Mares are capable of being bred at 2 or 3, but most people wait a few more years. Some people want the mare to have a successful career to prove she is worthy of reproducing-- others are OK with the mare having proven close relatives.

Breeding always has risks to the mare, and some risks increase as the mare gets older, but with proper care and feeding and appropriate vet exams and care, it is not unreasonable to see mares producing into their 20s.

Edited to add-- colts and fillies are sometimes physically able to be bred as young as 6 to 10 months-- but obviously just because their little bodies are capable does not make it the best choice. 2-4 years is considered the youngest to "safely" breed, with 2 not being acceptable to many people as still too young.

Laura Lyon
Eastowest
http://www.eastowest.com

Last edited by Eastowest; 02-07-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Eastowest is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Far From Sanity
Posts: 2,284
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastowest View Post
An owner might test breed a few proven mares to a good stallion prospect when stallion prospect is 2 or 3 years old, and then continue on showing and promoting the stallion prospect-- if the "test crop" is not up to par, the prospect can be gelded before alot more time and money is invested into a show career and advertising as a stallion prospect-- if the test crop looks favorable, the stallion's career and promotion can continue and there will also be some early offspring growing up that can begin their show and competition careers, and show prospective mare owners what the stallion is siring.

Mares are capable of being bred at 2 or 3, but most people wait a few more years. Some people want the mare to have a successful career to prove she is worthy of reproducing-- others are OK with the mare having proven close relatives.

Breeding always has risks to the mare, and some risks increase as the mare gets older, but with proper care and feeding and appropriate vet exams and care, it is not unreasonable to see mares producing into their 20s.

Edited to add-- colts and fillies are sometimes physically able to be bred as young as 6 to 10 months-- but obviously just because their little bodies are capable does not make it the best choice. 2-4 years is considered the youngest to "safely" breed, with 2 not being acceptable to many people as still too young.

Very good point. I still believe that a stallion should at leat be critiqued by the breed's judges before even siring as a 2/3 year old. AND if it turns out to be a terrible "experiment" crop...really...what happens to the foals? feedlot? they just become part of the unwanted horse population....sigh...i am not an animal rights activist and i believe that everyone should have the right to do what they want with their animals...but i also believe in common sense

Besides....unless he is stunning quality at a 2/3 year old he shouldn't even have an "experiment" crop of foals...especially for someone inexperienced....JMHO...not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers

Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?-Edgar Allen Poe
Piaffe is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 02-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 753
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13kielj View Post
Does anyone know how old an Arabian Stallion has/should be to breed? Also Whats the oldest an Arabian mare should be to breed? Also does anyone know of any good arabians to breed to that are in or near Indiana?
There are no specific age requirements, it just depends on what shape the horse is in and it's health but you obviously wouldn't want to be breeding a very young...anything, you ESPECIALLY do not want to breed a young mare, I would never breed a mare under the age of 5 and probably wouldn't breed a mare past 20. I think mares should always be checked by the vet before being bred.

passion is when you put more energy into something than is required to do it. it is more than just enthusiasm or excitement, passion is ambition that is materialized into action to put as much heart, mind, body and soul into something as is possible. // <3 starlite - dream - lady - georgia
kmdstar is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 735
• Horses: 1
>>>>> Very good point. I still believe that a stallion should at leat be critiqued by the breed's judges before even siring as a 2/3 year old. AND if it turns out to be a terrible "experiment" crop...really...what happens to the foals? feedlot? they just become part of the unwanted horse population....sigh...i am not an animal rights activist and i believe that everyone should have the right to do what they want with their animals...but i also believe in common sense

>>>>Besides....unless he is stunning quality at a 2/3 year old he shouldn't even have an "experiment" crop of foals...especially for someone inexperienced....JMHO...not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers

Actually I agree with everything above-- Thats why in my post I said "GOOD stallion prospect" and made sure to mention that he would already be on the way to being shown and promoted. But since OP asked about age for breeding, not quality for breeding, I was intentionally being pretty general as far as applying any quality judgement beyond the little I did offer-- more just trying to answer the question asked--- since we could post pages about breeding quality all by itself.

Laura Lyon
Eastowest
http://www.eastowest.com
Eastowest is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Far From Sanity
Posts: 2,284
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastowest View Post
>>>>> Very good point. I still believe that a stallion should at leat be critiqued by the breed's judges before even siring as a 2/3 year old. AND if it turns out to be a terrible "experiment" crop...really...what happens to the foals? feedlot? they just become part of the unwanted horse population....sigh...i am not an animal rights activist and i believe that everyone should have the right to do what they want with their animals...but i also believe in common sense

>>>>Besides....unless he is stunning quality at a 2/3 year old he shouldn't even have an "experiment" crop of foals...especially for someone inexperienced....JMHO...not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers

Actually I agree with everything above-- Thats why in my post I said "GOOD stallion prospect" and made sure to mention that he would already be on the way to being shown and promoted. But since OP asked about age for breeding, not quality for breeding, I was intentionally being pretty general as far as applying any quality judgement beyond the little I did offer-- more just trying to answer the question asked--- since we could post pages about breeding quality all by itself.


lol....another very good point...i will keep my mouth shut more often OP...are you considering breeding and if so what are the horses actual ages?

Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?-Edgar Allen Poe
Piaffe is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 02-08-2010, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 104
• Horses: 4
The horses Im considering is a SE Arabian Stallion that will be 3 in May and a SE Arabian Mare that is 15 in June. Im thinking Im going to just pay for her to breed to another stud and what on my 3 year old though. And Im planning on only breeding her once or twice and buying a couple more SE Arabian mares that are around/between 5 and 10. (and I like yalls additions on quality!)
13kielj is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 02-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Far From Sanity
Posts: 2,284
• Horses: 0
do you have pics ? :) do you show or just want to have a foal?

Has the mare had a foal before? 15 is a little up there for a maiden mare,but lots of people have done it.....

Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?-Edgar Allen Poe
Piaffe is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about horse breeding sunshineo0o Horse Breeding 9 10-24-2009 12:31 PM
Possible breeding; but first I have some questions... RubaiyateBandit Horse Breeding 24 07-21-2009 05:41 PM
A few foaling/Breeding questions. ilovemyPhillip Horse Breeding 43 04-14-2009 07:23 AM
Questions about breeding my mare?????? Karen Horse Horse Health 5 09-15-2007 09:59 PM
New to the group, have some questions on color and breeding OpheliasWings Horse Riding Critique 1 03-31-2007 04:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome