Breeding to an Appaloosa?
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Breeding to an Appaloosa?

This is a discussion on Breeding to an Appaloosa? within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Long appaloosa pic.
  • Appaloosa\

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-28-2011, 11:48 AM
  #1
Weanling
Smile Breeding to an Appaloosa?

I'm wondering my chances of getting a leopard, if I can register the foal, and if there are any stud recommendations!

My mare is solid bay, and her parents are too. Is it possible to get a leopard foal if I breed to a leopard stud? A blanket is still good, but I was curious if I could get more out of a solid mare...

Can I register the foal with the Appaloosa Horse Club, even though the mom is registered American Warmblood? I tried to find the answer on their website, but I couldn't tell.

Any stud recommendations?

DISCLAIMER- I know I shouldn't breed a mare just for color, and I'm not. I have other reasons for breeding. Color is just a bonus. Also, I know I need to carefully select a stud that compliments my mare. I was just wondering if there are any general recommendations, and then I'll carefully judge them from there. Thanks!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-28-2011, 12:28 PM
  #2
Weanling
I THINK your best chance for leopard Out of a solid would be a fewspot stallion... As I understand it, with one copy of LP, it makes a white marking of various sizes (snowflakes to, completely white... With spots of original color (leopard ) if there is a second copy of LP the horse is a fewspot or snowcap... If you have only one copy, your chance of getting anything with app traits is only 50%... but with a fewspot I think it is 100%... but LP confuses me... Sometimes all you get is specked noses/striped hooves. I think breeding for a particular appaloosa pattern is pretty much a crapshoot.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-28-2011, 12:44 PM
  #3
Trained
As far as registering, I do not believe the resulting foal would be eligible for ApHC papers.
     
    04-28-2011, 12:58 PM
  #4
Weanling
Hmm... Not being able to register the foal isn't good... Not the worst thing, but I don't want to breed something that won't have value to someone else should I choose to sell it, and I think registering it would help.

I guess instead of shooting for a certain coat pattern, I'll just take what I get! This is what I'd love to have:



But again, color is just a bonus. Even if I bred to an appaloosa and got a solid foal, as long as I made the decision to breed to a stallion that compliments my mare's conformation, athleticism, and disposition, it will be a great foal!
     
    04-28-2011, 01:30 PM
  #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by petitepyromaniac    
Hmm... Not being able to register the foal isn't good... Not the worst thing, but I don't want to breed something that won't have value to someone else should I choose to sell it, and I think registering it would help.

I guess instead of shooting for a certain coat pattern, I'll just take what I get! This is what I'd love to have:



But again, color is just a bonus. Even if I bred to an appaloosa and got a solid foal, as long as I made the decision to breed to a stallion that compliments my mare's conformation, athleticism, and disposition, it will be a great foal!

Have you looked through the American Warmblood database to see if there is a stud that has the features you want?

Oh and the foal either way can be registered AWS.
     
    04-28-2011, 02:29 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder    
Have you looked through the American Warmblood database to see if there is a stud that has the features you want?

Oh and the foal either way can be registered AWS.

I haven't been able to find an AW that also has color. I found this guy:

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1634342 - Colorado Skrodstrup

But I'm not sold on him...

I may end up breeding to another solid horse if I can't find one with color that's good. Quality comes first!
     
    04-28-2011, 02:48 PM
  #7
Foal
Like someone said above your best chances of color are breeding to a fewspot stud. There is a Stud here in MI that so far had been a 100% leopard producer.
     
    04-28-2011, 03:19 PM
  #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by petitepyromaniac    
I haven't been able to find an AW that also has color. I found this guy:

DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1634342 - Colorado Skrodstrup

But I'm not sold on him...

I may end up breeding to another solid horse if I can't find one with color that's good. Quality comes first!
That is a nice horse and a rare Knabstrupper too. They are warmblood and do throw the spots as a dominant colour pattern as well.
     
    04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
  #9
Weanling
>>>>There is a Stud here in MI that so far had been a 100% leopard producer.

Which one?
     
    05-02-2011, 01:45 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastowest    
>>>>There is a Stud here in MI that so far had been a 100% leopard producer.

Which one?

His name is Seven. I can't remember his registered name right now but he is out of Lad's Tahi Rio and is owned by Kathy Scripped.
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0