Check out my stud please :) - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 12-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 53
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfieldk View Post
Wow. This is what I read: 'I don't care if some horses have a disease we could cure if it produces some good ones.'

You can get a phenomenal horse that ISN'T Diseased. In my opinion, that's much better, much smarter, and more responsible.

I am not saying that it is a good thing to breed these horses . I'm just saying that some phenominal horses have been a product, completely banning the breeding of N/H horses is going to be a really hard thing to do these animals are the property of owners who want to breed them and the reality is if they want to they will. I wouldn't ever do it but I don't completely oppose breeding them.
pleasurehorse11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 31 Old 12-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 6,594
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasurehorse11 View Post
I am not saying that it is a good thing to breed these horses . I'm just saying that some phenominal horses have been a product, completely banning the breeding of N/H horses is going to be a really hard thing to do these animals are the property of owners who want to breed them and the reality is if they want to they will. I wouldn't ever do it but I don't completely oppose breeding them.
Sure, if they want to breed them we can't really stop them. But what if we ban horses born after a certain date (IE January of 2009 for example) to be shown AQHA?

There are REALLY good horses with HYPP but like I said earlier we need to put an end to it. The horses that are around now should be able to be shown and kept but should be gelded. Don't give breeders a reason to produce more though. That's my idea at least
Spastic_Dove is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 12-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 53
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove View Post
Sure, if they want to breed them we can't really stop them. But what if we ban horses born after a certain date (IE January of 2009 for example) to be shown AQHA?

There are REALLY good horses with HYPP but like I said earlier we need to put an end to it. The horses that are around now should be able to be shown and kept but should be gelded. Don't give breeders a reason to produce more though. That's my idea at least
And I completely agree with that but instead of banning them from showing AQHA because that would ban the horses currently showing the circuit they should stop registering them as of Dec 2010 because then all of the horses booked to be bred 2009 wouldn't lose their breeding.
pleasurehorse11 is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 12-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 6,594
• Horses: 1
2010 then. Either way, the horses already here should remain. Future ones should not happen.
Spastic_Dove is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 12-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,138
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove View Post
2010 then. Either way, the horses already here should remain. Future ones should not happen.
That's what the AQHA has already done.

http://www.aqha.com/forms/pdf/2004regchanges.pdf

"(3) Effective with foals born on or after January 1, 2007, all descendants of the of the stallion Impressive, AQHA registration number 0767246, shall be required to be parentage verified and HYPP tested, subject to the conditions in (c)(2) above. Any foal testing homozygous positive for HYPP (H/H) will not be eligible for registration with AQHA."

So, no more H/H horses are allowed to be registered. This is one more reason to not breed N/H horses either.
luvs2ride1979 is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 12-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 6,594
• Horses: 1
I think they should do it for N/H too
Spastic_Dove is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 12-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 165
• Horses: 5
I agree with what most people have said on here..

Spastic_Dove- i agree with you, i think they should do that for N/H horses too.. Keep the horses that are here now.. but try to stop it from happening in the future.

I went to look at a mare 2 years ago.. she was a really nice grey mare.. Had tons of trophy's and ribbon's.. but the woman didn't tell us she was Hypp N/H untill after we said we liked her and everything.. She told us that she's had an "episode" once... and that was because they gave her electrolights because they had gone on a long ride while they were camping... we went home and did TONS of research on it.. and ended up calling the woman and telling her we weren't gonna chance it... She had ben at that farm her hole life since she was born so we didn't want to get her home and have her get stressed out and have an attack...
Sullivan17 is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 12-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,672
• Horses: 12
Sorry, but I agree with most of everyone else.
I had an Impressive gelding. He was awesome, I LOVE the breeding, but it's just not worth the risk of breeding a N/H horse.
Find something that's N/N and breed with that stallion to promote that Impressive line.

Whispering Secret Arabians
Registered Solid and Sabino Arabians
www.wsarabians.wix.com/home
WSArabians is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 12-10-2008, 01:19 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: with my room mates
Posts: 354
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasurehorse11 View Post
I disagree with the non-breeding of N/H stallions and mares. if they really want to get their bloodlines out there and have a phenominal horse to do that with that is their buisness. i bought an N/H horse who is a grandson of impressive it was the best thing i could have done he is the absolute best horse and only has to be on his med. on really hot or stressfull days. he's only ever shown symptoms twice. As long as the owners of the horses are fully aware and informed on HYPP it is their choice.

Really? You have a horse that is symptomatic and you are still supporting the breeding of N/H horses? That kind of logic just makes me want to barf. Why don't you take that horse of yours off meds. and witness for yourself a full blown HYPP attack and tell me how you feel about it after the fact. You think everyone who owns a horse that is N/H has their horse medicated? Ha- no, they don't. I just can't understand why you would say you're okay with the breeding of defective horses. You like seeing horses in extreme pain where they are a danger to themselves and others? What are you, a sadist? Oh and guess what? I can go find hundred of horses that are N/N that look just as good and do just as well as horses that are N/H. Probably look better because they aren't on the ground in convulsions.

In your later posts you also say that people are going to breed them anyway so why should the AQHA ban it, well if people can't register their N/H horses, they won't be able to sell them. If they can't sell them... they can't make money. Let me tell you a secret about breeders... they like money. So correct logic would lead one to the conclusion that if they can't sell the horses- they'll stop breeding the horses.

And the OP, just so you know it IS genetically possible for your N/H stud to have N/H babies. I can do a simple Punnet square to prove that point with a pencil and piece of paper, don't even need a blood test. Also just because your horse is asymptomatic right now doesn't mean he will always be so. The best thing you can do for your horse, and also the world, is geld him.
onetoomany is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: If you only knew....
Posts: 201
• Horses: 0
I find it funny that you use the term "breeding smart", when in actuality you are doing the complete opposite. I hope you realize that it is only a matter of time before it gets passed on, just because you have healthy foals now does not mean anything. If you want to talk about smart breeding than why don't you do the intelligent thing and quit while you are ahead. I believe the consensus is quite clear here, quit now and get that horse gelded. You are not doing anyone any favors by keeping him at stud.
NewHeart is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VET CHECK KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Health 21 12-03-2008 06:25 PM
Check Him Out!! FGRanch Horse Pictures 30 08-28-2008 10:08 PM
check this out. jazzyrider Horse Breeds 4 03-30-2008 02:44 AM
Check this out Horse_love999 Horse Videos 4 05-15-2007 01:58 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome