Color question
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Color question

This is a discussion on Color question within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Images of cremola horse
  • What color foal from a paint stallion and cremola mare

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-15-2010, 10:30 PM
  #1
Weanling
Color question

I've been told you aren't suppose to breed a buckskin to a cremello. Is that true? If so, why? What color would the resulting foal be?
I love Platinum Cowboy so it's got me curious. Untitled
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-15-2010, 10:57 PM
  #2
Weanling
There is no reason not to breed a buckskin to a cremello unless you don't want to take the chance of the match producing another double dilute. (some people will breed to a double dilute to get palomino or buckskin, but they DON'T want a double dilute foal themselves.) But if you LIKE double dilutes, or wouldn't mind getting one, and the horses are a good match otherwise, then there is no reason not to consider the match.
     
    02-16-2010, 09:36 AM
  #3
Weanling
Oh ok, well that makes more sense. It was a QH breeder that told me that, I guess maybe they didn't want them. Thanks!
     
    02-16-2010, 10:01 PM
  #4
Yearling
You'd most likely get perlino, cremello, buckskin, palomino, or possibly smokey black. Can't see any reason not to breed the two together if they are a good match.

I was once looking at a lady's buckskin stallion (who should have been a gelding) and she told me you can't breed palomino to palomino because you'd get a lethal white, I'd already desided she was a flake, I just nodded and moved on.
     
    02-16-2010, 10:24 PM
  #5
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by haviris    

I was once looking at a lady's buckskin stallion (who should have been a gelding) and she told me you can't breed palomino to palomino because you'd get a lethal white, I'd already desided she was a flake, I just nodded and moved on.
I know several older horse owner/breeder who thought this back before the actual genetics where known.

Also up until a few years ago AQHA would not register a double dilute so you would not want to breed 2 dilutes and take that chance.
     
    02-17-2010, 02:16 AM
  #6
Yearling
I do understand the reasoning (at the time) for not wanting a double dilute, but a double dilute is not a lethal white. (and at the time the foal could have been registered APHA, maybe not ideal, but still). I'm not sure if she realized she'd have the same risk breeding her buckskin to a palomino or another buckskin to, if she did she didn't mention it. I do think a stallion owner should have a basic understanding of genetics where it pertains to their stallion, 'I' think she should have known the difference between a cremello/perlino and a lethal white if she's going to stand a horse w/ a cream dilute gene. A dead foal is a lot different then a foal w/ a less desirable color.
     
    02-24-2010, 06:09 PM
  #7
Foal
Take from a breeder the roomer is that if you breed any color to a cremola you will get the color of the horse ur breeding it to so that's a good thing.But my question is I had a mare foal the other day she is reddun and her daddy is dun with the black mane and tail and points. Why is it that that I got a black? Dose anyone no what color this baby will shed out Im confused.
     
    02-24-2010, 06:24 PM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Take from a breeder the roomer is that if you breed any color to a cremola you will get the color of the horse ur breeding it to so that's a good thing.But my question is I had a mare foal the other day she is reddun and her daddy is dun with the black mane and tail and points. Why is it that that I got a black? Dose anyone no what color this baby will shed out Im confused.
That's super rare that you even got a black from those two! Wow. Either way, the sires black genes overtook the red and the cream. Huh. You're more likely to get a gulla then a black from that pairing! Just shows how tricky genetics can be!


     
    02-24-2010, 07:11 PM
  #9
Trained
The sire was probably a Perleno not a cremello. Which means he is black based with 2 cream genes.

Your red dun mare is Red based with the dun gene.

Black is dominant to red so red will hide behind black.

So the foal can most certainly be a Dun. Basically the foal is Ee A? Dndn

Also breeding to a cremello dose not mean you will get the color of the other horse. It simply means that EVERY foal by/out of the Cremello will have at least one dilute.
     
    02-24-2010, 07:37 PM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy83001    
Take from a breeder the roomer is that if you breed any color to a cremola you will get the color of the horse ur breeding it to so that's a good thing.
That "roomer" is wrong.


Quote:
There is no reason not to breed a buckskin to a cremello unless you don't want to take the chance of the match producing another double dilute. (some people will breed to a double dilute to get palomino or buckskin, but they DON'T want a double dilute foal themselves.) But if you LIKE double dilutes, or wouldn't mind getting one, and the horses are a good match otherwise, then there is no reason not to consider the match.


Double dilutes suffer from sun sensitivity and an increased risk of skin cancer and vision loss. THAT'S why (sensible) people want to avoid breeding them.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Color Question... jiblethead Horse Breeds 12 01-17-2010 09:44 PM
Color question CowGirlUp9448 Horse Breeding 10 12-26-2009 11:38 AM
Question on color...? RubaiyateBandit Horse Talk 0 11-23-2009 02:08 PM
Question about color genetics?? close2prfct Horse Breeding 51 03-17-2009 07:37 PM
Another Foal Color Question AKPaintLover Horse Breeding 7 07-15-2007 10:11 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0