Equine Reproduction Specialist

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Equine Reproduction Specialist

This is a discussion on Equine Reproduction Specialist within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Board certification in equine reproduction
  • Specialist in breeding horses

LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Equine Reproduction Specialist

Ok, so that's what I've inherently decided on for a career. Now to get there. Any ideas what I need to get there?

I want to be the one-stop-shop. I want to show up, be able to evaluate a mare and stallion, do AI, IVF, Embryo transfer, collect and store semen, sonogram, preg-check etc. Veterinary degree, of course. But what else?! Is there a certification?
Sponsored Links
    01-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I think after vet school you would do a residency at a speciality reproductive clinic, or an internship with a reproductive vet.
    01-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Green Broke
Originally Posted by maura    
I think after vet school you would do a residency at a speciality reproductive clinic, or an internship with a reproductive vet.

I agree(:
    01-12-2010, 06:40 PM
^ Agree
    01-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Agree! But you might also need to get board certified by the state to practice.
    01-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Plus you will have to be an equine practitioner, not just a large animal vet =)
    01-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Yes all the above replies are correct that is exactly what I am doing now. I love every moment of it. Unfortunately there is no one stop certification, it takes years of studies. And I'm just beginning in my second year of my pre-vet major with equine emphasis at the you of M
    01-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Check out the Society for Theriogenology, you can get a lot of info. About repro work and there are job listings, so you can get an idea of the experience you will need. I get to work for the exact kind of person you are describing. His name is Ahmed Tibary, google him, he's amazing. Shebagurl- he did his PhD at Minnesota I believe.

Pretty much what everyone has said is right, vet school then internship then residency and board certification. However, you do not need to be just an equine practitioner. In fact, Dr. Tibary says that every time he gets a call for a reference for a former student, the big equine barns all want to know what comparative experience (especially camellids) the person has. Get all the experience you can, and make sure you understand that the job is 24-7 for at least 9 months out of the year. You can usually squeeze in a vacation if you have associates. I agree, being a theriogenologist would be pretty awesome. Good luck!

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photography - Equine/Non - Equine ChingazMyBoy Horse Pictures 2 12-24-2009 09:01 PM
Equine First Aid 101 shmurmer4 Horse Health 7 01-10-2009 12:43 AM
Reproductive Specialist/Colleges Lipizzangirl Horse Breeding 5 10-12-2007 01:19 PM
Equine Help 101 Designingshinto Horse Training 0 03-15-2007 08:26 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0