Originally Posted by AndersonEquestrian
Excellent made point, but the problem that I am having is not just her lack of sight. I am also worried that since she didn't fully develop eyes and mom was emaciated throughout the pregnancy, what else didn't develop correctly? How do we know there aren't mental defects? What if her insides aren't developed and she is constantly sick?
We have to think about her well being as well as our financial situation.
I think the possibility of mental/internal issues are something to be dealt with down the road - as in, if the vet can't find anything wrong now (if there's something significantly wrong with her per the vet - brain damage or that eye is a significant issue beyond just being blind, etc, I'm in the "put her down" camp - she doesn't need significant suffering), please don't make a decision based on "what-ifs."
She may be perfectly healthy, mentally and physically (besides the eyes). She could also have some significant problems, in which case I would probably join the "put her down" people. But I just hope you'll give her a chance.
And immune issues CAN be handled somewhat effectively. My mare has ERU which is an auto-immune disease like any human auto-immune disease: she's likely to get sick more, she can get fungal infections more quickly, etc. However, all those issues are easily managed. She doesn't get vaccinated every year, I try to keep hr at home and away from other horses as much as possible (she lives with a pair of goats), and I fed her natural immune boosting "stuff." She hasn't been sick in over a year since I implemented these plans and her immune system is literally junk.
The other thing is that she lives a really happy life. She is thriving in her environment and it's something I thought I would never see. She's not depressed because she can't see, she doesn't mope around because she's not around horses (she's actually more relaxed away from other horses!), she loves to be ridden, and so on.
I almost had her directly put down after her diagnoses, because I thought we would never be able to handle it, and boy I'm glad I decided to give her more time. I thought that this disease would get the best of us but in fact, we're getting the best of this disease.
I know you want to do the best thing for this filly and that's really commendable. Just please don't make a decision based on "what-ifs" or possibilities. :)