Finding a good stally... - Page 7
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Finding a good stally...

This is a discussion on Finding a good stally... within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-27-2010, 03:57 AM
      #61
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SorrelHorse    
    And just for the record, there ARE people who have a passion for bowling just like we love the horses. I certainly don't, but someone in my extended family bowls competitively and we have wars. I babble about horses and he flaps his jaw about bowling all the time. To some people it is worth it, just apparantly not to you or me.
    Do you know the difference between a bowling ball and a horse? Here are a couple that I thought of off of the top of my head

    1) Bowling balls don't require ongoing care, such as vet and farrier services, which cost money.
    2) Bowling balls don't eat.
    3) Bowling balls don't have feelings.
    4) Bowling balls don't care if you don't get to spend time with them
    5) Bowling balls don't lose value because you don't have time to spend with them.
    6) Bowling balls don't end up on a double decker truck bound for Mexico when their owners decide they don't want them anymore and want a new hobby.

    Can anyone else think of any?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-27-2010, 04:01 AM
      #62
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SorrelHorse    
    And once again, there is a differance between breeding tons and tons of worthless foals and breeding one foal for the experience.
    Really? What difference does it make to the horse while he's having his throat slit in Mexico?

    How much of a difference would it make to a horse if she went to an auction and bought one instead of letting it go to slaughter?
         
        06-27-2010, 04:02 AM
      #63
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tennessee    
    "I love how the children who have parents paying for their crap are suddenly experts on the economy and on breeding horses."

    Sounds like you know a lot about me, considering you've never met me.
    :roll:
    Considering you said that your dad is giving you a $4,500 budget to buy a new horse, I'd say she's not too far off the mark in her assumption.
         
        06-27-2010, 04:05 AM
      #64
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SorrelHorse    
    PaintsPwn, I have complete respect for her as well and I do get on with her fine normally, but frankly this topic is rubbing me the wrong way.

    And Macarbe, seriously? You think I don't know about the economy? I'm certainly no expert, but I know about breeding horses and I know all about the expenses. The horses I have are in my name. I may be a teenager, but if the hors ehas my name on its papers I pay for everything. Tack, feed, stud fees, vet bills, farrier bills, and everything they need. I go to work every day and work my butt off to create the cash I need to pay for my horses. Yes, I take care of my Mom's horses and my Trainer's horses too but the ones I own I take care of. If I want a foal, Mom could care less. She gives me her advice, tells me what stud she likes best, and sends me on my way. The first foal I bred I was in seventh grade and I worked all summer to pay the $1000 dollar stud fee for my mare, and then the feeding expenses took every penny fro me but I did it because I wanted the baby. Then I paid the $700 for 30 days under saddle. Then I bought it tack, paid for another 80 days after that, brought it home and worked on perfecting the turnarounds my trainer had pretty much already covered. By the next year I paid to have the first sliders on and showed in a backyard reining show that I paid the entry fees for. I even paid for the gas to get down to the expo, because I couldn't drive then. Now I have a permit. Granted I don't have a license but I take my truck that I pay to put gas in.

    Honestly, I do respect your knowledge, but you shouldn't make false assumptions based on stereotypical teenagers.
    Good for you for being so responsible. Now please go slap your mother and ask her what the hell she was thinking letting her 12-13 year old child breed a horse.
         
        06-27-2010, 04:09 AM
      #65
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tennessee    
    I agree. There are WAYYYY too many horses. But, if the OP is more than willing to keep the foal no matter what and care for it properly, then I really don't see a problem.
    Because she can just as easily buy a horse from an auction and save it from slaughter instead of breeding her horse.

    Here's a simple math problem that should explain it for you, since you claim to be so smart.

    Let's say I have a horse, and I have room for one more horse. There is already a surplus of 5 horses in my area due to irresponsible breeding. I have a few options:
    1) Breed my horse, which results in a surplus of 5 horses
    2) Buy a horse, which results in a surplus of 4 horses
    3) None of the above, which results in a surplus of 5 horses with an option to later reduce the surplus.

    Which one makes the most sense?
         
        06-27-2010, 04:12 AM
      #66
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tennessee    
    Yes. I did read the post. ONE foal is not going to kill anyone. It's not going to hurt anyone. It's just a foal.
    That kind of logic is exactly why we have horses going to slaughter every single day.

    ONE foal won't kill any person, but it will kill a horse.
         
        06-27-2010, 04:15 AM
      #67
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tennessee    
    I doubt it, ma'am. ;)

    And honestly? I don't know. The economy is already crappy, so one more foal ain't going to hurt it that bad.
    Brilliant! I'm going to go to my bank tomorrow and get a mortgage. "No, sorry, I don't have any verifiable income because I'm self-employed. How much do I make? Umm, around $20,000 a year... What do you mean I can't have a $300,000 mortgage? Why not? You were handing them out to anyone who asked for one 3 years ago. Come on, you've already sold thousands of bad mortgages, what harm could one more possibly do? Pretty please? I PROMISE I won't default and go into foreclosure!"
         
        06-27-2010, 04:17 AM
      #68
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SorrelHorse    
    You're right. But ya know what? If we all lived by that philosophy we eventually would no longer have horses. Because even top performance horses can be victims of slaughter. I've seen it happen. It's not pretty.

    And something else; Most of the BEST kids ponies around her were a one-shot out of a hobby rider and now they are assisting kids in their events.

    Not saying that is always going to happen, but considering nobody knows anything for sure you can't know that they will be sold for a steak.

    And besides, like mentioned earlier, she's prett ymuch said she's going to breed anyway so why bother telling her she shouldn't?
    All I got out of that was "Lalala, let's pretend there's no problem! I took my horse to the auction last week because he started bucking me off, but I'm sure he's in a GREAT home now where he gets lots of love and attention! He couldn't have possibly gone to slaughter. Nope, not my horse. He's SPECIAL! I'm sure everyone at the auction realized how special he was and bid accordingly."
         
        06-27-2010, 04:31 AM
      #69
    Trained
    Lets get back on track here guys.

    Less mud slinging and more informing.
         
        06-27-2010, 08:12 AM
      #70
    Foal
    Come on poeple this is a forum to give advice cut back on abusing one another please
         

    Tags
    breed, foal, mini, miniature, shetland

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Finding a good english lesson barn? Rowzy English Riding 5 03-27-2010 02:44 PM
    Finding a good campsite Trails Trail Riding 4 01-16-2010 09:59 PM
    Finding a horse Plains Drifter Horse Talk 1 08-18-2009 01:30 PM
    choosing a stally jazzyrider Horse Breeding 13 12-13-2008 08:05 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0