Foal watch 2010. - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Foal watch 2010.

This is a discussion on Foal watch 2010. within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-21-2010, 08:33 PM
      #31
    dee
    Started
    Well, still no baby. We did get a visit from the sheriff's department today, though. Seems they got a call from out of state complaining about the condition one of our horses. (Guess which one!)

    I realize someone did it because they care about the horse, but the deputy wasn't too thrilled. He checked our vet records and feed program and pronounced himself satisifed. He thinks Dancer will domino in the next 24 - 48 hours (he breeds and trains quarter horses). He did recomend that we worm the horses, but he's about an hour late and a dollar short, since they were wormed yesterday - except for Dancer. Still a little leery of worming her.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-21-2010, 08:50 PM
      #32
    Showing
    There are plenty of wormers out there that are proven safe for pregnant and nursing mares. At this late a stage in the game, I don't think it would hurt the baby anyway.
         
        06-21-2010, 08:54 PM
      #33
    dee
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smrobs    
    There are plenty of wormers out there that are proven safe for pregnant and nursing mares. At this late a stage in the game, I don't think it would hurt the baby anyway.
    Which one would you recommend? I can pick some up on my way home. I have another tube of Zimectrin if that will work. I can worm her before she gets her dinner. (Beet pulp is soaking right now)
         
        06-21-2010, 09:05 PM
      #34
    Showing
    Zimectrin should be fine. Ivermectin is one of the most common ingredients that is safe for preggo mares.
         
        06-21-2010, 09:18 PM
      #35
    Green Broke
    Sorry about the sheriff's visit. It wasn't me, but I must admit I thought she was a little thin too. But then I am known to keep my guys a little on the, um, fleshy side.

    But I have a dewormer question for everyone. One of my foaling books, I believe either The Complete Foaling Handbook or Blessed are the Broodmares, recommends deworming the mare within 12 hours of the foal being born. This is supposed to set the foal up for a lifetime of minimal parasites (as long as you keep up with your deworming of course). Has anyone ever done this? Do you recommend it or not? I think Ivermectin is what is recommended. I was thinking about doing it as long as I feel my mare comes out of foaling okay. Not if she looks weak or stressed. What do you guys think??? Good idea, bad idea?
         
        06-21-2010, 09:30 PM
      #36
    Showing
    Hm, I have never heard that before but I am not the most experienced with mares and foals .
         
        06-21-2010, 09:43 PM
      #37
    Foal
    Am looking forward to seeing Dancer's baby pics.. my mare had her filly last year( the seller didn't bother to tell me she was bred), but I wouldn't trade my Bitsy for the world.. I think she is going to be a blue roan.. not for sure yet..
         
        06-21-2010, 10:33 PM
      #38
    Weanling
    Excited to see your foal dee- can wait to see how the coloring turns out!
         
        06-21-2010, 10:39 PM
      #39
    dee
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailhorserider    
    Sorry about the sheriff's visit. It wasn't me, but I must admit I thought she was a little thin too. But then I am known to keep my guys a little on the, um, fleshy side.
    I'm not blaming anyone for calling the sheriff. It's kinda funny, because they have asked us to babysit and feed a couple of their siezed horses from time to time. The visit today was more of a formality than anything. They get a complaint and they have to fill out a report.

    Dancer looks bad from some angles, from other's she looks just fine - it's really odd. And I, too like them fat and sassy. If you look at my avatar, that's what Dancer usually looks like. We'll get her back to her old self if we have to feed her ten times a day.
         
        06-21-2010, 10:43 PM
      #40
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailhorserider    
    But I have a dewormer question for everyone. One of my foaling books, I believe either The Complete Foaling Handbook or Blessed are the Broodmares, recommends deworming the mare within 12 hours of the foal being born. This is supposed to set the foal up for a lifetime of minimal parasites (as long as you keep up with your deworming of course). Has anyone ever done this? Do you recommend it or not? I think Ivermectin is what is recommended. I was thinking about doing it as long as I feel my mare comes out of foaling okay. Not if she looks weak or stressed. What do you guys think??? Good idea, bad idea?
    I've not heard of this, but I can't imagine how worming at 12 hours would make a lifetime impact - worming doesn't cause an immune response like antibodies from vaccinations.....

    I don't see how it would hurt, but I wouldn't count on it for the parasite free lifetime angle. My vet recommended worming at 8 weeks for the first time, and then once a month until they are yearlings. (I did this with Finn, and am doing so with Fiona as well). From the end of their first year they just go on to a standard worming schedule.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    2010 foal collection? twogeldings Horse Breeding 1 05-20-2010 09:01 PM
    Dolly's 2010 foal Jazz paintluver Horse Breeding 12 05-02-2010 07:57 PM
    First Foal of 2010 hccumminssmoke Horse Breeding 15 02-20-2010 02:11 AM
    Foal watch 2009. :) smrobs Horse Breeding 477 10-10-2009 12:19 AM
    Foal watch has begun! ThorArb Horse Talk 6 02-21-2007 10:48 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0