Foaling Q's - Page 5

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Foaling Q's

This is a discussion on Foaling Q's within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-04-2010, 01:25 AM
Green Broke
Oh no, oh that is so sad. I am so sorry, I know you were really looking forward to this baby. I am very, very sorry. *big hugs*
Sponsored Links
    02-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Thank you so much. My daughter needs a hug right now. It was the only mare bred for this year. She was checked still in foal all the way along to 80 days, so she lost the baby some time after that.
    02-04-2010, 07:11 AM
FeatheredFeet, so sorry to hear :( *hugs*

Indy, I'll have to go check out that thread! I'll wait until I'm home though, most photos are blocked at work :(
Can't wait to see your foal when he/she decides to arrive! :) I had a mare that seemed really relaxed behind for quite some time before she foaled. Guess your mare must be like that, too!
    02-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Green Broke
Update on Freya ~

So the vet came out today to ultrasound Freyja. She was very good (she always is). He did both a transrectal and transabdominal viewing. (we were actually trying to see if we had a colt of filly, however the baby was being disagreeble for angles *l* The vet said he might have briefly saw signs of it being a colt, but can't say for sure by any stretch, it might have also just been part of the umbilicus as the baby moved. (it was VERY squirrley in there) There is definitely only one baby, and it is pretty big. The vet did take measurements, I don't think he does this a lot because he got on the phone with a colleague, but did say in the end their best estimation was that the baby was around the 295 day mark gestational age, (I had her guessed at 300 so pretty close) but he couldn't be for sure again due to the overall size of the baby. He felt Freyja's early signs were just that, early signs, though he did go ahead and milk test the yellow stuff she has in her udder (I didn't realize you could test it until it turned to proper milk.) The test came out at CAL. 40 and ph 8.8 so we are still a good while off. The ultrasound did show the baby was already in position, which I already knew based on the belly drop, and the vet said he felt Freyja's back end looseness was related to the baby being positioned so early, but her cervix was tightly closed and not softened at all. So while he did say he never saw a mare so loosened up this far before she's due, he felt comfortable saying she will probably see out her expected due date at this point, despite her "hurry" (as he put it). He did say that, like I had already suspected, that the mare has just been bred so much that her body is well prepared. He gave me both his pager and cell, on top of his office and home number which I already had, and warned me to call him as soon as she started regardless of whether she was having difficulty or not, just to be on the safe side since we are expecting such a large foal. He didn't see any reason to worry, and felt like we just have a while yet to wait.

All in all I am very glad I asked him to go ahead and do the ultrasound, despite his reticence on it, because it makes me feel a lot better knowing more about what is going on. So thank you all to recommended it, I appreciate it! Hopefully we got a few weeks left to wait and get the weather around here warmer before baby makes an appearance. I'll keep checking her all the same, and keep you all updated of course. But thank goodness it looks like baby will stay in a bit longer!
    02-04-2010, 07:20 PM
What fun. Things are looking good.
    02-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Whee! Exciting. I'm glad you pushed for the U/S. I also give the vet kudos for calling a more experienced colleague (heck we can't all know everything!!) It is very hard to sex the baby even when they cooperate. We have been fooled more than once. Glad things seem to be going well for mom and baby- I'm tickled for you.

Feathered Feet- so sorry to hear about your daughter's mare. Hopefully there wasn't too much put into the breeding. I'd definitely have her cultured before breeding next year, it is so disappointing to lose a pregnancy like that.
    02-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Green Broke
Tealamutt ~ I'm glad you encouraged me, I actually do feel a lot better now having it done. The vet was kind of uncomfortable with trying to work out gestational age, which is why I think he called the colleague. He said it was a little misleading due to the size of the foal - it's a big one. But I guess the body fat layer, and like you mentioned, eye size were the best indicators of age he took into account. He was hesitant and prefaced everything with "I could be wrong, but..." but even still, I feel much more comfortable with where things stand now. I think seeing her CAL so low and knowing her cervix was still nice and tight were just as big a part of that as what the colleague had to say about the ultrasound, so everything together makes me relax a bit more, and realize my mare is just weird like that . He did leave me two more packets of milk test so I can get her on a nightly testing routine between now and her due date.

Feathered Feet ~ again, I am so sorry. Haven't been able to get poor Halcyon off my mind all day. Do they know why she lost it? I know your daughter was thinking about going down to just her stallion and this mare. Does this change her plans any for the upcoming year?
    02-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I'm sorry I meant to tell you that you can test the wax/colostrum with the strips, guess I forgot to post that!
    02-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys. Yes it's been a hard blow for my daughter. But these things happen when we are dealing with live creatures. Halcy was cultured before this breeding. Of course it had to happen to the mare she most wanted a baby from.
    02-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Green Broke
Originally Posted by tealamutt    
yeah, I'm sorry I meant to tell you that you can test the wax/colostrum with the strips, guess I forgot to post that!
I knew you could test the colostrum, but I didn't know you could test the yellow pre-milk like she has now - it's an amber-colored, sticky liquid, that's mostly clear, that comes before it they start producing colostrum. But the vet said go ahead and start testing, because he has seen mares not actually switch to colostrum until after foaling. This yellow stuff will still have the lowered ph indicators, through not always the higher calcium indicator, so it's not as reliable. But he said start testing now anyways.

FeatheredFeet - what does your daughter plan to do from here? Is she going to breed Halcyon to the same stud for next year? Is she going to breed any of her other mares?

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foaling alarms anders66 Horse Breeding 0 01-29-2010 12:21 PM
After foaling...when can you ride? Plains Drifter Horse Training 8 01-10-2010 09:21 PM
Shod before foaling? deineria Horse Health 4 10-11-2009 03:11 PM
Foaling Preparation whinruss Horse Breeding 10 04-14-2008 01:11 AM
Many questions about foaling AlmostFamous Horse Breeding 1 02-17-2008 09:22 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0