Frozen Semen?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Frozen Semen?

This is a discussion on Frozen Semen? within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Equine semen forum
  • Horse breeding frozen semen

Like Tree22Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-14-2012, 11:13 AM
  #1
Green Broke
Frozen Semen?

Morning everyone!

So as some of you may know, I'll be getting a weanling at the end of August. Henny is three weeks old today, and I'm trying to plan for his future. He's got nice bloodlines, and looks to be a promising little boy. If he is stud quality months on down the road, I'd like for him to carry on his bloodlines. But there are very few places around here that accept stallions, so I may have to geld him at two if we do not have our own land by then. Before that happens, I know I could collect semen from him and freeze it. I need a little more information about that, though. How long will the frozen semen last, and how much is the storage fee at the vet's? This is of course if Henny is of stud quality, and collects a nice show record, so I'm not looking for a lecture on how I shouldn't breed him. If anyone has any personal experience, I'd love to hear it!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-14-2012, 11:22 AM
  #2
Trained
Kayella - Do you have any vets in your area that specialize in equine reproduction? I would talk to them. The people that run this site - Equine Reproduction - are also extremely knowledgeable and would more than likely be able to answer your questions completely.
Tianimalz likes this.
     
    05-14-2012, 11:29 AM
  #3
Green Broke
Thank you for the tip, NdAppy, I'll be sure to check out that site :)
     
    05-14-2012, 11:32 AM
  #4
Trained
Kayella - I hope that you can get the answers you are looking for. I believe that Kathy, I think that is her name, from Equine Reproduction does have an account on this forum and does stop by everyone once in a while to post.
     
    05-14-2012, 11:33 AM
  #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayella    
Morning everyone!

So as some of you may know, I'll be getting a weanling at the end of August. Henny is three weeks old today, and I'm trying to plan for his future. He's got nice bloodlines, and looks to be a promising little boy. If he is stud quality months on down the road, I'd like for him to carry on his bloodlines. But there are very few places around here that accept stallions, so I may have to geld him at two if we do not have our own land by then. Before that happens, I know I could collect semen from him and freeze it. I need a little more information about that, though. How long will the frozen semen last, and how much is the storage fee at the vet's? This is of course if Henny is of stud quality, and collects a nice show record, so I'm not looking for a lecture on how I shouldn't breed him. If anyone has any personal experience, I'd love to hear it!
No one knows what a foal will be as an adult horse.

Cute...yes...aren't they all???

Having a stud is a different game.

Most take it to lightly.

That is why you will see a thread here with horses bought for $41.

Most colts should be geldings......that is my opinion.

I just paid a lot of money for a baby in a three in one package deal. ($45,000)

The foal is now a gelding.
     
    05-14-2012, 11:39 AM
  #6
Started
Thanks NdAppy, I'll have to check that site out, too! Got a little colt myself that I might breed as an adult.
NdAppy and Kayella like this.
     
    05-14-2012, 12:05 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem88    
Thanks NdAppy, I'll have to check that site out, too! Got a little colt myself that I might breed as an adult.
Frozen semen has been used successfully at 15-20 years old apparently.

I would think frozen semen would be the best way to go. I could get a few collections on him to store then geld him. It's like the best of both worlds.
gigem88 likes this.
     
    05-14-2012, 12:08 PM
  #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayella    
Frozen semen has been used successfully at 15-20 years old apparently.

I would think frozen semen would be the best way to go. I could get a few collections on him to store then geld him. It's like the best of both worlds.
At what age can you collect the semen??
     
    05-14-2012, 12:13 PM
  #9
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper    
At what age can you collect the semen??
I would assume when the stud is of viability. I guess when they drop, and can pasture breed, then they could be collected and frozen. It's similar to cooled/shipped semen, it's just being frozen and stored instead of cooled and shipped.
     
    05-14-2012, 12:21 PM
  #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayella    
I would assume when the stud is of viability. I guess when they drop, and can pasture breed, then they could be collected and frozen. It's similar to cooled/shipped semen, it's just being frozen and stored instead of cooled and shipped.
Then my question to you would be.....

Are you willing to deal with a stud that long???

Are you will to make his "learning" years more difficult???

Years ago I did this with a colt.

Many people told me to geld him.

I just would not listen.

I saw at all of his AQHA and futurity wins as reason for him to be a stud.

Then his first foal won the fururity in Michigan.

To do it over....he should have been gelded as a foal.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any ideas for selling unused frozen semen? mtlily Horse Breeding 12 05-13-2012 05:02 PM
Frozen Semen Straws WVcountrygirl Horse Breeding 4 08-14-2011 02:38 AM
Artificial Insemination - Frozen Semen Ehsan Horse Breeding 0 05-16-2011 06:29 PM
Horse frozen semen thukt Horse Breeding 9 04-19-2010 03:55 AM
Frozen semen experiment.- Free breedings.-Closed misita Horse Breeding 2 02-01-2008 11:09 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0