Good or Bad Stallion?
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Good or Bad Stallion?

This is a discussion on Good or Bad Stallion? within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Good aqh breeding
  • How bad are stallions

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-04-2009, 12:31 AM
  #1
Yearling
Good or Bad Stallion?

I'm trying to learn more about breeding and the traits that would be passed along. I'm going to use my mare as an example. Just so everyone understands, I DO NOT want to breed her. If I did, I would at least wait for a time when I could afford another horse.

These pics are a few years old, but are the best confo pics I have of her. She's short, 15.1hh. This sucks for me, I'm 5'10". I realize that she has a longer back. Some people have said that her croup is too long...


A lot of people (including me) like her head. I've been told it's very feminine.



Alright, so I tried to pick a stallion that, if I did want to breed her, would produce a shorter backed, taller, (hopefully darker) horse that would keep that nice head. Lol Now remember, that I really stink at picking out faults in confirmation, so don't hesitate to tell or show me with another pic of what I should be looking for.

Thoroughbred stallion approved for warmbloods < < Thoroughbred < Germany :: 9150 - Stallions Online Stallions Online - The original show jumping and dressage stallions
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-04-2009, 12:36 AM
  #2
Banned
One of your first breeding goals would be to produce something that will fit into what you would like to do with the baby.

For resale...for jumper...for dressage...for an all rounder ????

The sire you will pick should carry some indication of the traits (performance and conformation) needed to do what will be required.
     
    01-04-2009, 12:46 AM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder    
One of your first breeding goals would be to produce something that will fit into what you would like to do with the baby.

For resale...for jumper...for dressage...for an all rounder ????

The sire you will pick should carry some indication of the traits (performance and conformation) needed to do what will be required.
If I had to pick, I'd probably want an 'all rounder'.
If I ever did breed Athena, I would definitely keep the foal for myself. I love jumping, but I took years and years of dressage lessons that I'd like to get some use out of.
     
    01-04-2009, 01:02 AM
  #4
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrashwarmblood    
If I had to pick, I'd probably want an 'all rounder'.
If I ever did breed Athena, I would definitely keep the foal for myself. I love jumping, but I took years and years of dressage lessons that I'd like to get some use out of.
It's tough to breed for everything. I'd say, you should search for studs who have accomplished something in jumping, dressage, or both. I think you're more apt to get something good if you have a specific goal in mind.
     
    01-10-2009, 09:40 PM
  #5
Foal
I just want to say that while your mare is not perfect (who is?) I think she is darling and I wouldn't turn her away if she turned up in my barn mysteriously.
     
    01-10-2009, 11:00 PM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOldNag    
I just want to say that while your mare is not perfect (who is?) I think she is darling and I wouldn't turn her away if she turned up in my barn mysteriously.

Thanks
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
good horse or not so good? sandy2u1 Horse Talk 20 01-29-2009 07:28 AM
What Makes a Good Stallion? Jubilee Rose Horse Breeding 9 09-29-2008 08:09 PM
What makes a stallion good enough to breed? ScoutRacer Horse Breeding 10 08-14-2008 10:03 PM
are his bloodlines good or not good or in between? ilovemyhorsies Horse Riding Critique 0 03-14-2008 07:08 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0