How do i breed my overo mare to get a paint foal? - Page 7 - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 66 Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 1,630
• Horses: 5
This is great, I love learning new things but hate feeling so inadequate. So if the stallion is homozygous for the tobiano gene, can they still throw a lethal white?
kctop72 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #62 of 66 Old 04-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,132
• Horses: 0
Lethal white = frame = OLWS.

OLWS carrier bred to an OLWS carrier = 25% chance of a lethal, 50% chance of a carrier, and 25% of a non carrier.

OLWS carrier bred to a non carrier = 50% chance of a carrier, 50% chance of a non carrier.

non carrier to non carrier = 100% non carrier.

It all boils down to if a horse is a carrier or not. A horse can be be many, many other coat patterns and carry OLWS or not. OLWS is the only thing that can cause a OLWS foal.
NdAppy is offline  
post #63 of 66 Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 1,630
• Horses: 5
Thanks! This thread has been a tremendous learning experience!
kctop72 is offline  
post #64 of 66 Old 04-14-2012, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 167
• Horses: 2
Here she is sorry for the bad quality they where taken with my phone...and please no rude commets

~Ride bareback put some CoLoR on your cheeks!!!~
bhorselover is offline  
post #65 of 66 Old 04-14-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 167
• Horses: 2

~Ride bareback put some CoLoR on your cheeks!!!~
bhorselover is offline  
post #66 of 66 Old 04-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,792
• Horses: 4
Nice mare. I see a few faults, those hocks are a bit sickled for one thing and her shoulder would like a little more slope to it.

I don't like Slicks. He is SO butt-high, it's not even funny. I know your mare is fairly level, but even so you should be breeding to a stallion that is also fairly level as being butt-high puts more strain on the forelegs which can go on to cause problems. If Slicks was plain bay, with no white, do you think he would still be entire? I doubt it. Bay is "boring" (yes I know that it's not, I have a bay) so there's no point in breeding for it.

Your mare is not just frame, she is also splashed white and most likely sabino. So not only does she have a good chance of throwing frame (50/50) she also has 50/50 of throwing splash, and 50/50 of throwing sabino.

I did a quick colour calculation, and this is what you'd end up with if you bred to a solid chestnut stud.
12.50% -
Chestnut Splash
12.50% -
Chestnut Sabino/Splash
12.50% -
Chestnut Sabino
12.50% -
Chestnut Overo
12.50% -
Chestnut Frame/Splash
12.50% -
Chestnut Frame/Sabino/Splash
12.50% -
Chestnut Frame/Sabino
12.50% -

Which means, your mare has a MASSIVE 87.5% chance of throwing one of her patterning genes. I honestly don't think you NEED colour to be a big factor when you're breeding, you've got a pretty good chance of ending up with it regardless of the stallion.

blue eyed pony is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is my paint mare a frame overo, or tovero/medicine hat?? Elizabeth Bowers Horse Colors and Genetics 10 01-28-2012 09:06 PM
GORGEOUS Double Registered Paint Pinto Sabino Overo Mare JerBear Horses for Sale 1 02-05-2011 05:16 PM
Double registered, GORGEOUS overo paint gelding PaintsTheWorld Horses for Sale 4 09-06-2009 02:44 PM
2008 Palomino Overo Paint Filly Thread (Pictures Inside) ModernDayCowgirl Horse Pictures 17 07-10-2009 05:56 PM
For sale>>>gorgeous overo paint horse>>> PaintsTheWorld Horses for Sale 44 05-28-2009 05:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome