? How do you tell if a mare is in foal? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

? How do you tell if a mare is in foal?

This is a discussion on ? How do you tell if a mare is in foal? within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Can you tell if a mare is in foal by the size of her stomach
  • Do mares get nervous before they are about to foal?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-06-2010, 03:36 AM
  #21
Started
Charlicata, I'd look past that blue stallion if I were you. I notice he toes out in all four feet in almost every picture. His sire does also and I dug up a pic of one of his foals who also does.
I can't find a proper conformation shot of him, so it's difficult to tell exactly what faults he has but I'm thinking he might also be a bit sickle hocked.
If your mare is as good as you say, then breed her to a stud she deserves.
JMHO
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-06-2010, 06:20 AM
  #22
Foal
Sorry but I agree I didnt like the blue stallion. Also is it usual for them to be broken in at 2years old?

Have you had any news yet?
     
    02-06-2010, 02:25 PM
  #23
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by orin    
sorry but I agree I didnt like the blue stallion. Also is it usual for them to be broken in at 2years old?
I was thinking the same thing. He sure is pretty though!! Not that that should be the cause for breeding to him(not that that is why you are considering him eighter). So, any news??
     
    02-06-2010, 10:31 PM
  #24
Yearling
Woke up to two foot of snow. Hopefully they'll get the roads cleared and I can get her to my friends vet on Monday or Tuesday. So no word yet. The BO had to take care of her for me today. My truck was acting like a plow and I couldn't make it. I'll let you guys know as soon as I find anything out.
     
    02-08-2010, 11:42 PM
  #25
Yearling
OK...update. Let me start off by saying that the vet is supposed to be out later in the week. In trying to research some of this stuff, I came across this website Foaling . So, being the impatient person that I am, I tried to "milk" Rosie. I got clear fluid out of the one, and ran (as fast as I could on ice) up to the barn owners house to ask him. We ended up going and trying the other side...and yes, clear fluid there too. He called one of his friends who told him where to push to see if anything moved. I tried, didn't feel anything without her moving to the side, so I stopped. Then he told me to see if she was dilated. When I moved her tail to the side, I could see a little pink. SO, Rosie is now in a stall that has been heavily bedded with straw. I'm just hoping that the vet will actually be able to make it out as scheduled because we're supposed to be hit with yet another 10 or so inches of snow tomorrow into Wednesday, and the roads still aren't exactly clear from the weekend snow.

If you're religious, please pray for her. THANKS!!!!
     
    02-09-2010, 12:18 PM
  #26
Foal
A few comments from an ex breeder that may or may not be of any use:

First 2 questions:
Do you know what day she might have been bred? Any idea how far along she could be?
And is she making a big milk bag? Has it changed lately at all?

FYI:

They can do a blood test for pregnancy if you don't want her palpated.you ship the serum to BET labs in KY. BET LABS home Page . They run total estrogen levels.

Some mares get liquid, even milk, when not in foal

A hay belly can resemble a pg belly. This happens NOT from too much hay, but from lesser quality hay that they must eat more of to get the nutrition they need.

Hope you can get a vet out between snow storms!! What a year for snow.
     
    02-09-2010, 12:19 PM
  #27
Foal
PS they rarely dilate until the last few hours before foaling. You should see other signs before then.
     
    02-09-2010, 12:44 PM
  #28
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlicata    
OK...update. Let me start off by saying that the vet is supposed to be out later in the week. In trying to research some of this stuff, I came across this website Foaling . So, being the impatient person that I am, I tried to "milk" Rosie. I got clear fluid out of the one, and ran (as fast as I could on ice) up to the barn owners house to ask him. We ended up going and trying the other side...and yes, clear fluid there too. He called one of his friends who told him where to push to see if anything moved. I tried, didn't feel anything without her moving to the side, so I stopped. Then he told me to see if she was dilated. When I moved her tail to the side, I could see a little pink. SO, Rosie is now in a stall that has been heavily bedded with straw. I'm just hoping that the vet will actually be able to make it out as scheduled because we're supposed to be hit with yet another 10 or so inches of snow tomorrow into Wednesday, and the roads still aren't exactly clear from the weekend snow.

If you're religious, please pray for her. THANKS!!!!
The fact that there is fluid coming out of her udder doesn't necessarily mean she is close, you can only really get further indication from actually testing the milk (and from a quick click around the website you referenced, I believe that is what they are talking about). Believe me I am going through this right now, been milk testing my mare for a week and based on her results we are still a ways off from foaling, despite other signs she is showing which would indicate readiness to foal. I know this based on having the vet come out and do an ultrasound. Since you are not even sure if the mare is bred, I wouldn't let this be a cause for panic at this point. When mares get close to foaling, it is VERY obvious in the size of their belly, I don't think it could be readily mistaken for a hay belly when they are close enough to be producing from their udder. I'd stop scaring yourself with websites and get a professional opinion. :)
     
    02-09-2010, 02:14 PM
  #29
Yearling
I'm trying to get the vet out. Everytime they're supposed to come, it snows. I'm so danged frustrated with it. I can't even get the trailer out to try to take her myself. That alone is driving me nuts.

JB44, I don't know the answer to either of the first 2 questions. As for the 3rd, she is making a milk bag. It was bigger this morning than it was last night...but still not as big as the pictures on that website. I wish I could just say that her belly is from the hay. I even asked the BO again this morning when I went out. He said that with the horses that he has had in the past, that it definitely isn't because of the hay. Not to mention I get a very good weed-free orchard grass hay for her. I know the guy personally and know the pains he goes through to keep his hay that way.

Indyhorse, if I could get out to the WalMart, I would definitely buy the stuff to do it. Right now, I'm lucky to actually get to the barn...and it's just 2 miles down the road. I really wasn't all that scared or nervous until the BO called me last night and told me that I needed to come back and get the stall ready...that I needed to get her in the other stall last night. As far as her size, she was very skinny when I bought her in Nov. I thought she was gaining nicely, she just wasn't gaining in her hips. Then, I started seeing her backbone again. She hadn't lost any weight, it just dropped into her stomach. That's when I started making the phone calls and then made the post.

Her previous owner did call me back this morning (at long last). She told me that she didn't know that Rosie was bred when she sold her to me. But then went on to tell me that she didn't know that another of her mares was bred last year until she got up one morning and found the surprise in the field. I'm sorry, but how do you NOT notice that type of changes in one of your horses if you actually take care of them? I really really need to get the vet out ASAP though. Aparrently, Rosie had twins about 4 or 5 years ago. Of course only one of them lived. Luckily, she did tell me that she would send me the information on her two studs that have been DNA'd. That I could have the baby DNA'd and the registry would match the baby to the stud. Can they actually do that? If she does have a baby, I would like to be able to register it. OH, and she offered to come and get Rosie (5-6 hrs each way), and bring me a "comparable horse" if I felt it was too much for me. Wasn't that kind of her?:roll: She's badly mistaken if she thinks I would ever send Rosie back down there to her. If I had the money, I'd go buy a few more of her horses just to get them out of there.

I'm sorry this is so long. I do appreciate everybody's input though. THANKS!!!
     
    02-09-2010, 03:10 PM
  #30
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlicata    
I'm trying to get the vet out. Everytime they're supposed to come, it snows. I'm so danged frustrated with it. I can't even get the trailer out to try to take her myself. That alone is driving me nuts.

JB44, I don't know the answer to either of the first 2 questions. As for the 3rd, she is making a milk bag. It was bigger this morning than it was last night...but still not as big as the pictures on that website. I wish I could just say that her belly is from the hay. I even asked the BO again this morning when I went out. He said that with the horses that he has had in the past, that it definitely isn't because of the hay. Not to mention I get a very good weed-free orchard grass hay for her. I know the guy personally and know the pains he goes through to keep his hay that way.

Indyhorse, if I could get out to the WalMart, I would definitely buy the stuff to do it. Right now, I'm lucky to actually get to the barn...and it's just 2 miles down the road. I really wasn't all that scared or nervous until the BO called me last night and told me that I needed to come back and get the stall ready...that I needed to get her in the other stall last night. As far as her size, she was very skinny when I bought her in Nov. I thought she was gaining nicely, she just wasn't gaining in her hips. Then, I started seeing her backbone again. She hadn't lost any weight, it just dropped into her stomach. That's when I started making the phone calls and then made the post.

I don't think you can get the test kits at Walmart. I had to get mine from my vet.

I can understand where you are coming from, for sure, as I mentioned I have been going through something similar with my mare. She was essentially a rescue, I didn't know if she was bred but since she was pastured with a stallion after her foal was born I knew it was likely. Having no breeding date to go on can be very difficult in knowing what to expect. I was lucky enough to at least know when her last foal was born so it gave me something to go by. They can be very tricky with what signs they exhibit as well, see my thread Foaling Q's and you'll see what I mean - I was worried my mare was going to drop a foal prematurely based on the signs she was exhibiting (and is still exhibiting) but getting the vet out to do the ultrasound, along with starting her on milk test, has gone a long way to ease my mind, despite her signs of readiness I think I have several weeks left before I have to start camping out in the barn. I also understand about the weather - we are under winter storm warning right now and predicted to get 8-12 inches of snow tonight. Overall, though, it's awfully early in the season to be expecting foals and I'm guessing if your mare has only just started being super-obvious with her baby belly then you probably have a bit of a wait left. Hopefully your vet will get out there soon and be able to set your mind at ease!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New mare, in foal... Help skittle1120 Horse Breeding 117 12-07-2009 07:31 PM
Mare and foal. jadeewood Horse Pictures 12 07-03-2009 04:15 PM
new mare,my first foal chika1235 Horse Breeding 2 04-20-2009 10:55 PM
Where can i get a pmu foal or mare? BraideeMyBaby Horse Breeds 8 08-31-2008 06:22 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0