How important are bloodlines to you? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 Old 12-14-2011, 02:43 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany- but not German =D
Posts: 5,144
• Horses: 2
Yes, basically.
I would never buy a horse from the Pilot lines because they tend to be hot headed and difficult, or SJ lines like Cassini, because I am not a jumper.
Horses from lines that generally have a nice temperament are well sort for, like Rubenstein. Horses from Donnerhall lines are in high demand for their movement, size and temperament. Fishermen's Friend, as Kayty has said, is a very trainable temperament.

Not to say that I would disregard anything, and I don't go out saying I am looking for this line, but if I see a line in there that is problematic, I won't touch it. I'm not a good enough rider. If the lines have good, well mannered horses, I'm more likely to pick it.

And if I'm buying a mare, which I did, it better have **** good lines... stereotyping, I know, and not had a problem with mine but with some- the mood swings!
DuffyDuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 34 Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The sandbox
Posts: 5,403
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
BTW, waiting on brother to call that guy about the sale. If you are limited on time, let me know and I'll light a fire.
No big hurry, when ever he gets around to it! Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
COWCHICK77 is offline  
post #23 of 34 Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 AM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS11 View Post
I was down at Ft. Worth as well this year. Watched Craig Thompson on OH MISS CAROLINE take home a nice score of 226. J If you take a look at the horses in the Open, High Brow Cat was on almost all of those horses papers somewhere! I might be wrong but I remember the announcer saying something like HBC’s offspring earnings is around 50 million right now. AMAZING! Probably why we have 5 HBC’s in our barn right now J
We have 3 fillies out of a 3/4 brother to HBC!
NicoleS11 likes this.
mls is offline  
post #24 of 34 Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,405
• Horses: 1
What are "long yearlings" ?

And how does everyone know or keep up with which bloodlines are good or whatnot? (I am very much a beginner at this..)
Skyseternalangel is online now  
post #25 of 34 Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,672
• Horses: 12
Pedigree and conformation are at the top of my list. Usually they go hand in hand. I don't breed.the "modern" Arabian halter types because often they are bred for halter and that's (loosely) it. I find the older bloodlines still have a lot of substance that hasn't been bred out for pretty, and lot's of them were back then, national or international champions. They just wouldn't be today.
As someone else said, genetic diseases. The farm where I bought my stallion from imported semen from Poland and bred a mare. A few months later CA came out in Arabians. The sire in Poland was tested and came back CA positive. They tested their mare bred to him. She came back CA positive. A foal of two CA parents have a 75% chance of being CA positive and won't live. Odds were on their sides, he came out at a 25% chance of being CA N/N but it just as easily could have went the other way.
So, breeding purposes absolutely. If I was just looking for a riding prospect that I had no plans to show, you can usually find what you're looking for based on conformation. I'd just buy mature, though.

Whispering Secret Arabians
Registered Solid and Sabino Arabians
www.wsarabians.wix.com/home
WSArabians is offline  
post #26 of 34 Old 12-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post
What are "long yearlings" ?

A long yearlings is a horse in the end of their yearling year. All horses well stock horses and TB are dated by Jan 1st regardless of when they actually foaled. A horse foaled in Jan will be in the same age class as a foal who was born in Dec. Come Jan 1st they are both considered Yearlings.

And how does everyone know or keep up with which bloodlines are good or whatnot? (I am very much a beginner at this..)

When you are a breeder or even if you just like to show in a certain discipline you see what is out there showing what wins and how they are bred and you keep track of that information. Also there are associations for most of the disciplines which if you show in that discipline you are a member and they keep track of the info and have publications you get with the info in it. It is like going to school all the time.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #27 of 34 Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,405
• Horses: 1
Okay thank you! That makes sense.. someone once told me most race horses have the same birthday as January 1st on their records.

Hopefully I'll be better informed later on in life :p
Skyseternalangel is online now  
post #28 of 34 Old 12-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Their papers will have the actual date of birth but they are aged by Jan 1st regardless of their actual date they foaled. This is why as a breeder you want them foaled as close to that date as possible.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #29 of 34 Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Branson
Posts: 4,264
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post

And how does everyone know or keep up with which bloodlines are good or whatnot? (I am very much a beginner at this..)
Wish there were an easier way, but it takes years and years of experience, observation, and constant research. The hard part is not so much identifying good bloodlines as it is studying how different bloodlines cross with one another. Probably the biggest mistakes novices make are only paying attention to the stallion lines, when it is the mare lines that are more important, not giving enough attention to the interaction of bloodlines, and placing too much importance on horses so far back in the pedigree they are almost meaningless. I have seen people refer to their horse as being "King bred" when King only appeared once in the pedigree in the 4th or 5th generation...how silly...
Faceman is offline  
post #30 of 34 Old 12-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sundre, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,285
• Horses: 0
NRHA said it right, homework ALLLLLLLL the time! =D

Bloodlines are UBER important to me, goes hand in hand with conformation.
FGRanch is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
important** Jdun722 Horse Health 12 02-19-2009 12:00 AM
What is more important? Kentucky Horse Breeding 21 09-29-2008 08:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome