Huh? - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0

So some of you know that I've taken on a (pregnant) horse to train for this lady. She knows I'm in the market for a project horse, so she made me an offer: half ownership of the mare and foal for $1500 ...
The mare is 6 and untrained (well, till I get through with her!).. and a grade mix. The stallion of the foal is a grade QH.. or so she's been told.
Here's what I don't get: She was offering this mare to me a couple of months ago to buy for $1400 with foal, and $1200 without - and now I get HALF ownership for $1500? If I just want to half-own the foal, it's "only" $500!
I was expecting to offer her $300 at THE MOST to BUY (own, not part-own) this foal if I liked it when it came out.
The market is in a HUGE slump. If she was taken to a sale, she'd barely pull in $300, let alone $3000! And foals now (especially grade mixes) are almost literally a dime a dozen.
It's not that the mare isn't cute - it's just that good-looking, trained horses are going to sales and averaging $700 per horse.
I would be interested in the foal, but certainly not for $500 for part-ownership!
How do I tell her that:
1) the prices she's asking are rediculous for the market value right now .
2) yes I'd be interested in the foal, but the most it's going to be worth is $300 - for full ownership - and that's putting top dollar on it! Not the $1000 she thinks it will be worth.
This has to be done tactfully. She's a very nice woman with a cute mare and I really do like working with both of them! I do see potential in the mare, and am really enjoying seeing the fruits of my labour!
Any suggestions?

The lovely images above provided by CVLC Photography
JustDressageIt is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 1,351
• Horses: 11
Maybe just tell her you are going to keep looking (even throw in the word registered), because you have seen good, registered foals priced for less than $500. Also tell her that you are not interested in the complications of half ownership, and would rather own your horse fully.

She will probably either break and change her pricing right away, or she will try to sell the foal and come back with a better offer when she can't get that price, or you will find a better baby somewhere else.

I bet you could pretty easily find a not grade weanling this coming summer for less than $500 if you keep looking. You might be able to find a much nicer horse! :)
AKPaintLover is offline  
post #3 of 4 Old 02-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 1,730
• Horses: 1
I certainly wouldn't be interested in co-ownership unless it was on a horse waaay out of my price range (like a breeding stallion that I don't have the skill or time to manage, or a champion racehorse).

If you can come to her with solid proof of the current horse market and be tactful, I think it'll be okay...most people do listen to reason.

Of course, if she is raising the price now, maybe she doesn't really want to sell them. Possibly your best bet may just be to back off a bit and wait for her to make her decision. I can't imagine that an owner would take a horse to sale when there is an interested private buyer in the wings.
Sara is offline  
post #4 of 4 Old 02-08-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0
Yeah, I definitely don't want half-ownership... expecially because with the next horse I'll probably be looking to buy to resell.

Thanks for your comments! I was just blown away by the price for the value.

Anyways, any more comments?

The lovely images above provided by CVLC Photography
JustDressageIt is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome