HYPP pedigree! - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 Old 04-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
The thing people forget is that is might not be Impressive. It could be anouther horse in the pedigree. It could be the cross. People seem to forget that there is more that goes into breeding then ONE horse. Also it could just as easily be the training or lack there of.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 43 Old 04-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 566
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassierae View Post
I actually dislike horses that have Impressive up close(2-3 generations back). Every single one we have met/owned has had a screw loose. Rebel and Tonka were both buckers, and no matter what you did they always bucked. Rebel also used every single excuse he could to wig out, and the last time he did he dumped my grandmother and put her in the hospital. And it wasn't a spook, it was deliberate what he did. There have been other incidents with Impressive bred horses, but I can't remember them all. It can go either way, but every horse person I have met doesn't particularly like Impressive bred horses. And yet I have one. Thankfully it's too far back to make a difference.
I have had 3 Impressive bred horses all N/N and fairly close up. Not one has been "kooky". As the other poster stated other horses are in the bloodlines. I can bash on Poco lines and McCue and Doc Bar since I have had one of each of these. The first two bucked and reared like rodeo broncs and the last was a screw loose. But I don't bash these horses because of the sires, I realize it takes more than one horse to produce a pedigree.

Sometimes it just comes down to how they are handled and what they are used for.
Macslady is offline  
post #13 of 43 Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copley, OH
Posts: 4,760
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhooves View Post
Congrats on the N/N, but..............
If he dam was N/N, why would she even have it? The sire is not Impressive bred, so there was not risk for the foal.........
the sire was a Paint with QH's in his pedigree...so there was a chance although slim. Better to know for certain don't you think? ;) if he happened to be N/H then there was a possibility she could be too although like I said it wasn't very likely.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Hoofprints in the Sand; 04-08-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Hoofprints in the Sand is offline  
post #14 of 43 Old 04-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,358
• Horses: 1
Ricky is N/N. He has Impressive in him on his dam's side and I don't really know all that much about bloodlines, except for the fact that he apparently has good halter lines.
Deposition Quarter Horse
Is anyone good with QH bloodlines because I'd like to know about his :)
Gidji is offline  
post #15 of 43 Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington, USA.
Posts: 6,634
• Horses: 2
Congrats on the results!

Ricci is Impressive's granddaughter. She is only linked on her sire's side, and he is N/N, so I've decided to save the money on that test for something more important. =]

Nrhareiner has a point. HYPP has only been traced to Impressive, but it could go further back, or be a concern in another horse as well.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
riccil0ve is offline  
post #16 of 43 Old 04-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand View Post
the sire was a Paint with QH's in his pedigree...so there was a chance although slim. Better to know for certain don't you think? ;) if he happened to be N/H then there was a possibility she could be too although like I said it wasn't very likely.
Posted via Mobile Device

The sire side has no impressive so he can only be N/N. At this point there is no evidence that any other horse but Impressive carries HyPP in the lines. With over 20 years of having a test if there where others we would have seen it by now.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #17 of 43 Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Stroudsburg, Pa
Posts: 984
• Horses: 4
All I said was that nearly all the Impressive bred horses we have had were a little off. Some weren't as bad as others but they definitely had a different type of attitude about things. I'm not saying anyone is wrong, just that that is MY PERSONAL experience with them.
kassierae is offline  
post #18 of 43 Old 04-09-2010, 06:19 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 566
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidji View Post
Ricky is N/N. He has Impressive in him on his dam's side and I don't really know all that much about bloodlines, except for the fact that he apparently has good halter lines.
Deposition Quarter Horse
Is anyone good with QH bloodlines because I'd like to know about his :)
Some of the names are familiar, I am like you not all that up on quarter lines. I know your guy has a lot of Impressive both top and bottom. This is where people have to watch out because Ima Cool Skip was an N/H horse. There are so many Impressive horses out there. Impressive was from back in the late 60's, and a halter sensation so everybody wanted to breed to him. They didn't really have hypp come into the public eye until many years later.

I know the Noble Traditions name, and a lot of the names in the 4th and 5th generation.
Macslady is offline  
post #19 of 43 Old 04-09-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Copley, OH
Posts: 4,760
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner View Post
The sire side has no impressive so he can only be N/N. At this point there is no evidence that any other horse but Impressive carries HyPP in the lines. With over 20 years of having a test if there where others we would have seen it by now.
did you trace back every single horse though? That's a lot of branches of the family tree to go through since impressive was so far back ;) if you did and you could confirm that in those many generations that made the sire what he is that not one horse had any link to impressive anywhere then yes you are correct...but that would take awhile to do ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by iridehorses; 04-09-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: The word is "you" not "u"
Hoofprints in the Sand is offline  
post #20 of 43 Old 04-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
I'll go one step further and a reason to be careful with grade horses. In a personal experience, I knew a person who "threw out" his horse's papers because they were N/H and he had trouble selling the horse. He latter claimed that it was easier to sell the horse as a grade rather then deal with the HYPP question.

How many grades are out there like that?

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hypp!!!! Junebug Horse Breeding 28 04-07-2009 11:51 PM
hypp horses_r_life9 Horse Health 2 02-18-2009 03:06 PM
Hypp bgood400 Horse Health 20 12-04-2008 04:36 AM
HYPP upnover Horse Breeds 11 03-11-2008 10:50 PM
Help with HYPP appylover31803 Horse Health 12 10-16-2007 02:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome