I never understood this
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

I never understood this

This is a discussion on I never understood this within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Lame mares good for breeding
  • Foal lays down excessively

Like Tree12Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-04-2012, 04:10 PM
  #1
Started
I never understood this

I new a mare that was four years old and couldnt be rode and would limp severly but they bred her, why is it that when a horse is not sound enough to ride people breed them, I have never understood why it is ok to breed a mare (make her carry more weight) when she already can't carry her own properly?



Will someone please enlighten me on this please?
Thanks in advance!
starfia and Horsealot like this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-04-2012, 04:20 PM
  #2
Foal
I guess they just want to be able to use them for something, make some money off them? Or maybe they aren't sound at the moment but when they are used they are good, so want to pass on those genes? I don't know just some ideas.

Saying that I still think its risky for a mare :(
     
    05-04-2012, 04:24 PM
  #3
Started
I find it risky too, or the fact that the mares helath and how she is doing is put behind making money(if that's what they are in it for)
     
    05-04-2012, 04:28 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey02    
I find it risky too, or the fact that the mares helath and how she is doing is put behind making money(if that's what they are in it for)
Yeah :( It's sick if it is money they are doing it for. I wouldn't do it personally.
     
    05-04-2012, 04:31 PM
  #5
Green Broke
Just because a horse isn't riding sound, doesn't mean they can't be bred (of course, we could get off into WHY the horse is unsound to begin with .. we'll pretend injury?)

Crippled to the point they can't walk is one thing, but I suppose you have to weigh the option of killing her or letting her live out her life in a pasture birthing babies.

If she is worth breeding, I could see choosing the second option. Lot's of animals - and people - walk around with a permanent limp.

If she's too crippled to carry her own weight, she needs to be put down anyway .. and I'm talking about laying down excessively to get off her feet, sores on hips etc ...

Imo
smrobs and natisha like this.
     
    05-04-2012, 04:39 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgal    
Just because a horse isn't riding sound, doesn't mean they can't be bred (of course, we could get off into WHY the horse is unsound to begin with .. we'll pretend injury?)

Crippled to the point they can't walk is one thing, but I suppose you have to weigh the option of killing her or letting her live out her life in a pasture birthing babies.

If she is worth breeding, I could see choosing the second option. Lot's of animals - and people - walk around with a permanent limp.

If she's too crippled to carry her own weight, she needs to be put down anyway .. and I'm talking about laying down excessively to get off her feet, sores on hips etc ...

Imo
I guess it would depend on how injured they were and if they could carry a foal for so long with their health?
texasgal likes this.
     
    05-04-2012, 04:48 PM
  #7
Banned
I would not have called my old mares riding sound or, sound at all.

They did fine having foals.

I felt the had something to offer to the quarter house breed.

Their produce stood up against the best in world class shows.

Now, they have producing daughters.
     
    05-05-2012, 12:04 AM
  #8
Started
Yeah, one of our mares isn't riding sound, I can't remember, but I think she was rode too hard as a 2 year old and has a problem with her hock so that it "catches" whenever she lopes or trots fast. That doesn't mean she doesn't have excellent breeding or potential. I've seen lots of lame mares that went on to happy, healthy lives of being broodmares. It's a nice, easy job for them to do as long as they are being looked after properly.
     
    05-05-2012, 08:26 AM
  #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh vair oh    
Yeah, one of our mares isn't riding sound, I can't remember, but I think she was rode too hard as a 2 year old and has a problem with her hock so that it "catches" whenever she lopes or trots fast. That doesn't mean she doesn't have excellent breeding or potential. I've seen lots of lame mares that went on to happy, healthy lives of being broodmares. It's a nice, easy job for them to do as long as they are being looked after properly.
Agreed.......I use to say if reincarnation was true I would love to come back as one of my brood mares.

Never wanted to come back as a show filly.....
     
    05-05-2012, 11:03 AM
  #10
Foal
Depends on the mare and the injury involved. I would never allow my mare to become pregnant if I thought it would make her uncomfortable. But that being said, I bought my mare in Europe and she has the bloodlines, conformation, temperament, ect, ect. And is worth her weight in gold, I would jump on breeding her. In fact, I should have years ago but never have because I never wanted to take her out of training and competition. It really depends.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forwardness understood. Spyder Dressage 4 03-01-2010 10:12 AM
What I've never understood in Hunters... upsidedown Jumping 26 08-09-2009 02:28 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0