If Blu was a stallion..... - The Horse Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: White Mountains, AZ
Posts: 1,887
• Horses: 7
If Blu was a stallion.....

Okay, I was wondering what would be if Blu was a breeding stallion. If he's a Chestnut Few Spot Appaloosa.....would he pass on the recessive gene?

Obviously, due to his coat he has a homozygous recessive gene right? Well, I wanted to know what you goes thought he would pass if bred to these colors: (not looking at breed or anything just passing on colors)

Black


Chestnut


Sorrel


Paint

h[img]ttp://www.lwranch.com/images/horses/Cheyennelg.jpg[/img]

Leopard Appy


White


Bay


Sorry for so many I am just SO CURIOUS!!!!!!!!!

Thanks...

WHATS REALITY?
BluMagic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 02-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0
If your horse is double recessive, and bred to a mare with double recessive, you have a 100% chance of the recessive gene.
If bred to a mare with both dominant and recessive genes, you have a 75% chance of the dominant gene, and 25% chance of the recessive gene.
If bred to a mare with double dominant gene, there is no way for the recessive gene to be shown.

So, if your horse's color is recessive, you'd have to find out the dominance of the other colors (I'm not sure about the colors you mentioned) and then check with my description above.

You can use your basic Punnett Square (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punnett_square) to figure this out :)


The lovely images above provided by CVLC Photography cvlphotography.com
JustDressageIt is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 02-05-2008, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: White Mountains, AZ
Posts: 1,887
• Horses: 7
Ya, we just learned all about alleles and genes last week in Science and it made me so curious about what Blu would throw out.

Believe it or not I have had people ask me if he was up for stud for his unique coloring. lol. :)

WHATS REALITY?
BluMagic is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: White Mountains, AZ
Posts: 1,887
• Horses: 7
Also, I here Paint is dominant. But what would you get if the Paint is dominant but Blu is double recessive AND a few spot???

WHATS REALITY?
BluMagic is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,348
• Horses: 4
Paint is dominant, so if the mother is a homozygous paint then the baby will be too. In addition, recessive genes needs to be passed down from both the sire and the dam, so unless the mother has it in her genotype it will not appear in the foals phenotype. It will however be in the genotype, so that foal would have the possibility of passing down the trait.

Oh, and unless he carries a cream gene/dilute gene he will never produce a cremello or perlino foal.

I don't know much about dominance for horse colors and I'm not the best with genetics either.
Supermane is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alliance, Ohio
Posts: 1,500
• Horses: 1
[quote="BluMagic"}.
Believe it or not I have had people ask me if he was up for stud for his unique coloring. lol. :)[/quote]


His coloring isn't unique.

"Doing what you like is freedom, liking what you do is happiness."
Harlee rides horses is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 02-07-2008, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: White Mountains, AZ
Posts: 1,887
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlee Rides Horses
His coloring isn't unique.
He is the ONLY horse in the area with his coloring. In that case, UNIQUE. 8) :) hehehehehe. Plus, before Blu no one in the area had ever heard of the term "Few Spot Appaloosa"

WHATS REALITY?
BluMagic is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,883
• Horses: 0
Quote:
His coloring isn't unique.
I think any horse's coloring can be unique. It all depends on who looks at them. You could even say a Bay with an unusual blaze, or how high (or low) his stockings are is unique. Look at all those paints. Some have very unique designs.

I think blu's coloring is unique. I've never heard of a few spot before i came on here, so if blu was a stallion and if vega didn't have hypp, i think they'd make marvelous children lol.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What is unique to one, may not be to another...to put it simply.
appylover31803 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome