Liberty's foaling thread :) - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Liberty's foaling thread :)

This is a discussion on Liberty's foaling thread :) within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Probiotic equigel

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-22-2010, 06:13 PM
  #31
Started
I had the bedding all ready in the other small barn but she will not come out of this one. That also means no to hosing her down. She literally walks perfect to the doorway then refuses to budge an inch unless it's to go back in farther. :( her diarhea doesn't seem terribly bad actually it just appears that she did it mostly in one corner and then for whatever reason chose to lay there. Waiting a little longer before I totally move the straw to this barn.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-23-2010, 08:15 AM
  #32
Weanling
Poor girl! I hope everything is alright. :(
     
    07-23-2010, 03:03 PM
  #33
Started
Still no better :( vet is on their way out since they are afraid it may he Potomac?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-23-2010, 06:11 PM
  #34
Green Broke
Oh no! I hope it's not.....and I hope she's alright. Very glad you called the vet, I was worried! Please keep us posted as to what he says.
     
    07-23-2010, 06:24 PM
  #35
Trained
Awww...I hope things are okay! Definitely keep us posted!
     
    07-23-2010, 06:29 PM
  #36
Started
Not Potomac. But still not good. Temp is at 101.2, severe diarrhea, a little dehydrated, n heart rate at 80. Gave her a few liters of IV fluids, banamine, and equigel I believe. Going to get her some electrolyte water also. So no clue really.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-23-2010, 06:33 PM
  #37
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poco1220    
Not Potomac. But still not good. Temp is at 101.2, severe diarrhea, a little dehydrated, n heart rate at 80. Gave her a few liters of IV fluids, banamine, and equigel I believe. Going to get her some electrolyte water also. So no clue really.
Posted via Mobile Device
Okay....so what is the vet's next step? What is he doing now? Going to do a blood draw? U/S to check the status of the foal? Please tell me he didn't just say "I dunno what it is" and left.......if he did be calling in another vet in your area. Viruses or bacterial infections in preggo mares are pretty time sensitive. Get a vet to treat it properly asap....you risk losing the foal. That's an extremely high heart rate - points to either severe infection or severe physical pain.
     
    07-23-2010, 06:38 PM
  #38
Trained
I agree with Indy...definitely be pushing for more investigating as to what is going on...
     
    07-23-2010, 06:44 PM
  #39
Started
He did draw blood and said if she gets any worse or isn't improving by Sunday that she needs to be moved to his office or the university for constant iv and observation. He did check the foal and it is fine, still plenty of movement. The equigel stuff is a probiotic type of binding agent for toxins/bacterium in the stomach. So just watching her closely now.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-23-2010, 07:19 PM
  #40
Trained
Will definitely be keeping you in my thoughts! Hope she starts getting better very soon ...
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foaling Q's Indyhorse Horse Breeding 221 04-09-2010 08:48 PM
foaling NOW! westonsma Horse Breeding 3 04-03-2010 10:28 PM
After foaling...when can you ride? Plains Drifter Horse Training 8 01-10-2010 08:21 PM
Live foaling cam is up :) weefoal Horse Breeding 5 05-27-2009 04:26 PM
Question on foaling....? RubaiyateBandit Horse Breeding 3 04-01-2009 04:31 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0