Looking For A Cremello Stallion - Page 5 - The Horse Forum
 31Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Branson
Posts: 4,264
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NdAppy View Post
You still get the dilute even if there is grey, and it isn't always 50% with the grey. You have to know if the grey is heterozygous or homozygous. If the grey is homozygous no mater what the foal will be grey.
Correctamundo...the grey and dilute genes are totally separate genes and are not mutually exclusive, so you can have both. Off hand, I can't recall having come across a grey dilute, but the likely reason is who would want to cross a grey with a dilute to begin with, although I'm sure it has been done - I just haven't seen one...
Faceman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 49 Old 10-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,132
• Horses: 0
You've seen one face. A single dilute that is lol Was standing at stud, buckskin going grey i beleive.

I can't recall an double dilute greys off the top of my head though. I am sure they are out there though.
NdAppy is offline  
post #43 of 49 Old 10-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 732
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NdAppy View Post
You still get the dilute even if there is grey, and it isn't always 50% with the grey. You have to know if the grey is heterozygous or homozygous. If the grey is homozygous no mater what the foal will be grey.
So with out testing the grey horse its safe to say 50/50 I cant tell you how many ad's I see guaranteeing a creme foal when bred to anything As the owner of a perlino I would never give such a guarantee if I were breeding to a gray mare because when said baby comes out they will be pretty ticked off when the baby turns gray.

[SIGPIC]Mel and the AQHA gang , Dualing Lil Highbrow, Light Hershey Kiss, Sugs Sweet Playgirl, Oh Cay With Gunplay, Lena's Smart Ichi Cat, Mia Peppy Freckle
LuvMyPerlinoQH is offline  
post #44 of 49 Old 10-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 732
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
Correctamundo...the grey and dilute genes are totally separate genes and are not mutually exclusive, so you can have both. Off hand, I can't recall having come across a grey dilute, but the likely reason is who would want to cross a grey with a dilute to begin with, although I'm sure it has been done - I just haven't seen one...
I think there was someone on this forum awhile back that did that and were upset when he baby turned gray because they were told it would be nothing but a creme

[SIGPIC]Mel and the AQHA gang , Dualing Lil Highbrow, Light Hershey Kiss, Sugs Sweet Playgirl, Oh Cay With Gunplay, Lena's Smart Ichi Cat, Mia Peppy Freckle
LuvMyPerlinoQH is offline  
post #45 of 49 Old 10-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: alberta
Posts: 2,747
• Horses: 1
I guess this was a completely pointless thread..... but i learned a lot about colour!!!

If there are no horses in heaven... im not going.
ridergirl23 is offline  
post #46 of 49 Old 10-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,132
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyPerlinoQH View Post
So with out testing the grey horse its safe to say 50/50 I cant tell you how many ad's I see guaranteeing a creme foal when bred to anything As the owner of a perlino I would never give such a guarantee if I were breeding to a gray mare because when said baby comes out they will be pretty ticked off when the baby turns gray.
The think is if you have a double dilute you can still offer the cream guarantee. They still get the cream regardless and will still be there under the grey. If you are worried about it just make sure the mare owners know that if bred to a grey there is a chance the foal will grey, but still have the cream gene. Your not changing the genetics by breeding to a grey. Like I said, the cream is still there.
NdAppy is offline  
post #47 of 49 Old 10-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,582
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NdAppy View Post
The think is if you have a double dilute you can still offer the cream guarantee. They still get the cream regardless and will still be there under the grey. If you are worried about it just make sure the mare owners know that if bred to a grey there is a chance the foal will grey, but still have the cream gene. Your not changing the genetics by breeding to a grey. Like I said, the cream is still there.
Which is why many ads for studs say, "Whichever gene guaranteed! (Except gray mares)"
Poseidon is offline  
post #48 of 49 Old 10-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 732
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
Which is why many ads for studs say, "Whichever gene guaranteed! (Except gray mares)"

You'd be surprised how many dont have a clue regarding this I see so many ...its almost scaryalmost every double dilute I see advertised at stud or for sale has that all color all the time guarantee.

[SIGPIC]Mel and the AQHA gang , Dualing Lil Highbrow, Light Hershey Kiss, Sugs Sweet Playgirl, Oh Cay With Gunplay, Lena's Smart Ichi Cat, Mia Peppy Freckle
LuvMyPerlinoQH is offline  
post #49 of 49 Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,132
• Horses: 0
Which in a way is still the truth. You still get the cream. *shrugs*
NdAppy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cremello Horse Horses for Sale 0 11-05-2010 12:05 AM
One-of-a-kind perlino TB mare in foal to cremello TB stallion! TrueColours Horses for Sale 0 08-11-2010 04:30 PM
What is cremello? JumpingTheMoon Horse Talk 9 01-10-2010 05:36 PM
Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion at stud TrueColours Horse Breeding 29 12-31-2009 06:55 PM
Cremello Filly mountainhorse44 Miniature Horses 45 10-11-2009 12:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome