Looking to possible breed my mare again in the next few years

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Looking to possible breed my mare again in the next few years

This is a discussion on Looking to possible breed my mare again in the next few years within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Looking to possible breed my mare again in the next few years

Hey all,

I'm thinking about possibly breeding my mare within the next two to four years to get another good trail horse, or possibly a small-time gaming horse (small type shows, such as trail challenges, or maybe something just to play around with on things such as barrels and poles, nothing serious, though).

My mare is an 18 year old Tennesee Walker who doesn't gait (her movement is more like an easy riding Quarterhorse). She walks, trots, canters, and gallops. She even looks like a QH (in my opinion) in the head, neck, and shoulders. She does have artheritis and is doing very well on a joint supplement, even though she's partially retired from riding.

I'm not looking to breed her anytime soon. It will be at least two to four years, so that gives me time to look and find the right stud. That also gives me time to work on finishing up college and start my career as a teacher, or at least get in a better financial situation or save up money from work. This isn't something I'm just jumping into. My mare's previous foal is a great trail horse, with a great mind except for some little things (though I admit, I spoiled him, lol). My mare will be over 20 when and if I do decide to rebreed her, and I will definitely get her vet checked before I do. If she isn't breeding sound, then I will not breed her.

As for what I am looking to get out of a foal from her. She isn't registered, even though she's pure TWH, and I'm not concerned with registry, as the foal will be with me for the duration of it's life. Registry doesn't matter, though I want to stay in the breeds that cross well with Walkers (Appaloosa's, Walkers, Spotted Saddle Horse, etc...). I'm not adverse to a QH cross, as long as it's nice looking and complements her.

I am tall and mostly leg, though, so a stockier built or taller horse is a must. Nothing under 15 hands unless it's built like a tank. My mare is 15.1 and her six year old son that I have is about 15.3, and I fit both of them well.

My mare is very athletic and has a lot of speed (something that she apparently passed on to her offspring). Based on her previous foal, I'd say that even with a naturally gaited horse, her genetics hide the gait, as she was previously bred with a naturally gaited TWH and the foal didn't inheret the gait.

I personally, do not like a gait that much unless it's a TWH... Lol.

Anyway, anyone wanna help find a possible stud? I would say that my max for a stud fee, by 2014+, would be about... maybe a $1000, but nothing over.

Here's some pics of my mare... as you can see, her build isn't typical TWH. I guess she's 'old style' TWH...

If you have anything you'd like cleared up, I'll be back on in a few hours... got a college class starting in under half an hour!
Sponsored Links
    08-22-2012, 12:06 PM
I fail to see why you need to rebreed her when you can buy something finished for the stud price you are willing to pay. Heck, you could probably buy a weanling now and have it ready to break in 3 or so years, instead of then having to wait 3 - 5 years for your foal to be ready. As well as that, how will her arthritis impact her ability to carry a foal? It will have progressed further in 2 - 4 years, have you considered this? If you have to medicate now to keep her sound, have you considered if the medication she needs to stay that way is appropriate for a gestating mare?
    08-22-2012, 12:08 PM
In all honesty, don't breed her.

You still have your gelding, unless I missed something. Your mare is not breeding quality IMO. Any reputable stallion owner will not breed to a grade mare regardless of what her breeding may or may not be as she is still grade making any foal grade and in this economy, not worth it. Creating another grade foal is a mark against them in this economy. And don't tell us you will "keep it foreverz!" You don't know what the future holds. You don't know if 10 years down the road you will have to sell every thing for some reason. Never and forever are words not to be used when it comes to things like this.

You would be better off buying than breeding.
    08-22-2012, 12:19 PM
With so many decent horses out there being sold for cheap (or needing to be rescued for bad situations), why put your senior mare through the stresses of pregnancy, especially when all you want is a trail or open gaming horse? Those are a dime a dozen right now because of people breeding for the wrong reasons. I'm guessing you want a foal from her for sentimental reasons, but that is NOT good enough to breed any mare, especially a senior that will produce another grade foal.
    08-22-2012, 12:45 PM
At this point in the game, this is still just an idea. I would love to have another foal by her, but who knows, right now, as I just said, it's just an idea. I may very well decided not to breed, that it isn't worth it to do so in the future. It's just an idea at the moment. I know my mare isn't perfect, but she's not bad looking at all. A shorter back and more elegant neck and head is about all she really lacks that is 'major'.

It's not really sentimental reasons that I want to rebreed her. She produced a nice foal with an average stud, and I personally would rather raise my own youngster than buy one, as at least then, I know what that youngster has gone through in its life, if that makes sense...

But I dunno, as said before, it's still just an idea and I may and will probably decide to not breed her, based on how sound she is by them and how a vet check goes. Also, she's not on the joint supplement to keep her sound, she's on it to keep her from getting stiff.

I have considered her artheritis getting worse in the next few years, which is why I wouldn't do anything without getting a vet check. But, like I said before, it's just an idea right now that I can at least dream of, even if I never go through with it... right?
    08-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Green Broke
Originally Posted by Britt    
Also, she's not on the joint supplement to keep her sound, she's on it to keep her from getting stiff.
Uh..... that would be the same thing! A stiff, struggling to move horse is NOT a "sound" horse. A sound horse is one that moves freely and easily.

From all you have posted in the past about issues you have with where you currently keep your horses, even the idea of breeding them shouldn't be considered until you have a new, safe place for them to live.
Tianimalz, NdAppy, Chiilaa and 1 others like this.
    08-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Delfina    
Uh..... that would be the same thing! A stiff, struggling to move horse is NOT a "sound" horse. A sound horse is one that moves freely and easily.

From all you have posted in the past about issues you have with where you currently keep your horses, even the idea of breeding them shouldn't be considered until you have a new, safe place for them to live.
Uh... she's not lame or anything, just gets a little stiff without the supplement. Obviously we have different opinions of what a 'sound horse' is, but that's ok. To me, an unsound horse is one who is lame, as in limping. My mare, when not on the supplement, will get a little stiff up in her shoulder but is still sound and doesn't limp or is lame in any way. When not on the supplement, after a short warm-up, she's fine, I'm just taking it 'better safe than sorry', if that makes sense.

And also, that is why the idea is just an idea at this point in time. I'm hoping that in a few years, I'll have been able to fence in a few acres for myself (the land that my mom and aunt are supposed to get in my g-gma's will, I'm hoping I can convince her to let me fence it in just for my horses, as it's only about six or nine acres, or something like that). Like I stated before, right now, i'm just toying with the idea. If, for some reason, it's not safe to breed my mare later on (whether it be family issues, land issues, or an issue of her health and safety) I won't do it. She's more important to me than that.
    08-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Green Broke
Planning a future based on "someone else's property" is a really, really bad idea. Today everything may be great and wonderful but what about tomorrow when for whatever reason the owner decides they no longer want horses on their land?

If you REALLY want to breed her or anyone else, Save up, buy your OWN place where no-one else has a say in it or has the ability to evict or endanger the occupants and THEN think about breeding.
    08-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Let me explain,

My great grandmother is leaving it in her will that when she passes, I get the house, barn, and the land that that is on, and around the house and all, my mom and aunt are getting some pasture-land. My mom and aund have already agreed that the pasture-land will be mine to fence in as I like, with one condition on my aunts part that I allow her sons to pasture their horses on the land as well so they no longer have to struggle to pay board for their horses and can see them on a regular schedule (their horses are boarded pretty far away and my aunt's sons rarely get to even see or ride them nowadays). The owner of the property will be my mom and aunt, and, in a way, me, as if I fence it in, they will defer everything about the pasture to me. It's already been agreed upon by us that I can fence it in in a few years for my own and my cousin's horses, as when my great grandmother passes (not for a very long time, I hope) doing that will be a way to officially get away from my great uncle, as the land will be ours and neither my mom or my aunt really like my great uncle that much and absolutely will not put up with his BS. Where my great grandmother will put up with it, my mum, myself, and my aunt will call the cops on him if he so much as comes down drunk and tries to start BS.

My long-term goal is to finish college, get a career, and eventually get my own land somewhere, preferably in the community I live in, as I really love the area... though I'm fairly certain that my mom would just give me the land she's supposed to get because she doesn't much like the country and would have no need for it and isn't planning on moving to the country, yet knows that I would have need of that land. My great grandmother knows that as well, but because it would start a family fight if she gave the land to me 9the oldest great grandkid) and nothing to the other great grandkids, she's 'skirting' that fight by giving the land to my mom and aunt, knowing that it will go to me and my aunt's children to share (their mom, my g-gma's daughter doesn't want the land because she doesn't get along with the rest of the family very well). Even if me and my aunt's sons don't share, that would still give me at least six acres, which is enough to fence off at least two or three seperate paddocks for a rotation schedule for my horses.

But I do see your point and will definitely take it into consideration. This is why I like the forum family. Yall help me see things that I tend to overlook. :)
    08-26-2012, 03:33 AM
It's possible a foal from her will gait, still. If you were to find a fitting homozygous SSH stallion to cross her with, that was well gaited, you would NOT be breeding a grade foal. The baby would be SSHBEA (Spotted Saddle Horse), RHBEA (Racking Horse), and NWHBEA (National Walking Horse) eligable. But, that would all depend on the baby being gaited, so you would be taking a gamble since she doesn't seem to offer up her "gaited genes".

This mare is a fine horse, much better than many I have seen bred WITH papers. She has her faults, but they are few and relatively minor when bred to just the right stallion. It's hard for a stock horse person to view a TWH and be able to decipher what is "well conformed" and what isn't. The only thing here is, this mares pedigree isn't just "outstanding", but still carries good names and good blood. Again, with the right stud, she could have nice, well made, and registerable foals.

I would suggest sticking to her breed, instead of cross to a stock horse. Look at these stallions:
Yankee Wolf and I'm All Jacked Up are both homozygous, proven, exceptional horses. I can't remember where they are standing currently. Also, The First Aurora is a cremello homozygous htobiano who is nice and proven, or General Hector.
Druydess likes this.

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mare has been out of work for seven or so years... LadyDreamer Horse Talk 5 07-08-2012 12:11 AM
23 years old mare back to work ? dally Horse Training 21 04-03-2011 10:24 PM
Clydesdale mare 6 years old canuckmel Horses for Sale 5 07-25-2010 12:51 PM
Can a mare get pregnant at 1 1/2 years of age? Cammiio2 Horse Breeding 14 03-15-2009 03:09 PM
Is 19 years old too old to breed? trickpony23 Horse Breeding 41 03-02-2009 03:44 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0