Sorry, a bit long but wanted to give good background info.
Woodstock, my avatar is my youngest stallion. His sire is a 5 time AQHA All-Around Champion, Champion halter stallion, pts in WP, HUS, Reining, Barrels, Trail, Showmanship. His dam was a snaffle bit futurity winner as a 2 yo & has 100+ AQHA pts in WP, both foundation/working lines. He was born here and sold as a weanling to a home that was going to be putting him in the cutting pen. He ended up getting put on the backburner due to their personal life, pretty much spent 3 years in solitary. Never really left his stall except for farrier & vet. Hadn't seen a pasture, never interacted with another horse. I called to inquire how he was doing at that point as he should have been being started under saddle, found out the situation & bought him back over the phone.
I got back a wreck. Very territorial, aggressive unhandled stallion. I spent a good year just gaining respect, developing our working relationship and letting him learn to be a horse again.
We were finally to the point that I was confident he could handle being started under saddle and boy was I right! He is smart, willing and never questions my direction. Last fall he had a major tendon injury in his right front knee. It's been a long recovery. Finally got the go ahead from the vet to put him back into work & he could go on the big pasture & stretch his legs. He made a mad dash and went for the pond, lots of rain, mucky edges. He's never gotten in it before, so it was a big surprise. He re-injured his knee, not nearly as bad but back to light duty again. I feel extremely guilty about it, so please no grief over that.
So now he is 5, not finished, never bred. I am absolutely insistent on not breeding him until he has proven himself as a riding horse & in the show pen. Kinda puts him past prime show career promotable age. With the time/training setbacks the injuries have caused, I have decided to geld him, give him some serious time off & re-start his saddle training at a later point.
I am taking lots of flak about my decision from friends, my grandpa (lots here. He is the last stud colt from his old stud) & a few clients that really want babies from him.
Am I making a bad call or smart decision?????