Magic's Foaling Thread due 5/15/13 - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 116
• Horses: 2
Okay so the stallion tested positive for the red factor and he has chestnuts on the ground one out of a black mother (I think that is what I was told). So possibly a chestnut? I personally would like to have a bay but he has none on the ground so it makes me wonder what I'm going to get.
lives2hope is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 25 Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 3,241
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lives2hope View Post
Okay so the stallion tested positive for the red factor and he has chestnuts on the ground one out of a black mother (I think that is what I was told). So possibly a chestnut? I personally would like to have a bay but he has none on the ground so it makes me wonder what I'm going to get.
Correct, if he is Ee then you have a 75% chance of a black based foal, 25% chance for a red foal
SunnyDraco is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 03-06-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 116
• Horses: 2
Well fingers crossed no on the chestnut. Our chestnut mare just passed and I think that would be a bit hard on all of us.
lives2hope is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 116
• Horses: 2
Backyard tails of a fatty under the impression she is near death from starvation....

Magic has always been a bit of a porker. She can actually kill herself if left out to pasture too long it doesn't take anything for her to gain weight she truly looks at a bag of grain and gains 50lbs. Now that she is 'with child' she has gone above and beyond in her food obsession.

Last night:
Escape: attempts 4 success 3
Manipulating food out of Daddy: attempts 5 success 4
Stealing food from the chickens and ducks: Attempts 3 success 3
Driving mommy crazy: Attempts 154 success 154
Getting the lock off the grain bucket: Attempts 3 success 1
Stealing the neighbor horses hay: Attempts 3 success 1
Letting the neighbor horses out to play: Attempts 1 success 0
Terrifying chickens in the middle of the night by putting head in coop: Attempts 1 success 1
Opening sliding glass door: Attempts 1 success 1
Waking up every dog, cat, horse, chicken, duck and human in the neighborhood: Attempts 3 Success 3

Mommies finally had enough punishment, dressage in a bareback pad in the middle of yard so everyone can watch my fat humiliation....4am exhausted after a 1 1/2 hour embarrassment of a work out...head in dirt mommy points at my pen and I slowly waddle back in...

Mommy may have won this round but the battle isn't finished...we will see what 1am brings tomorrow.

This is her it wasn't me look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200172_200607143301501_7714776_n.jpg (75.9 KB, 57 views)
lives2hope is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 116
• Horses: 2
Forgot to mention my horse is a bit of escape artist yesterday she taught her self how to pop the gate of the hinges yes, pick it up and pop off the hinges my husband will be welding the top of the hinges so she can't do that anymore. But she always comes up with a new way to get out. Often letting her friends out in the process. At our last barn she actually had double master locks on her stall door and her paddock gate.
lives2hope is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,132
• Horses: 0
Just our of curiosity, were either the mare or stallion tested for OLWS?
NdAppy is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 116
• Horses: 2
My mare has not been I'm unsure about the stallion. However when I asked about this a while back with my vet he said not to worry about it unless I'm breeding to a framed overo stud.

Just in case I looked up again after reading your question (keep my panic factor under control) and the color patterns and genetic sights I found also although said it would be good to test to know it should not be necessary to test for unless breeding to an overo. (chances being very slim of both carrying it and having a lethal white foal).
lives2hope is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,132
• Horses: 0
It is a risk breeding to ANY horse of any breed that is known to have frame. Frame is very, very adept at hiding. There are quite a few tobianos that carry frame.

This mare has no other white than the star and is a frame overo carrier (Spice who belongs to Kansas Spice Girl on here)-
NdAppy is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,132
• Horses: 0
Just a couple of more horses to show that it's not limited to "overo" colored horses.


This guy is homozygous for both tobiano and black and is also a OLWS/Frame carrier.


This little guy has no white on him at all but has tested positive as an OLWS/Frame carrier -


This mare is also a OLWS/Frame carrier -

Last edited by NdAppy; 03-07-2013 at 09:35 PM.
NdAppy is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 03-07-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 116
• Horses: 2
I am aware that horses that are not overo can carry the gene. I know that my horse does not have overo pattern in her back ground for the 7 generations I can trace, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

The stallion however has had some rather extensive genetic testing done. So I can ask the owner if she knows. I also know that it is not very common to have this issue if you are breeding two horses and neither of them have the overo pattern. So I may have this testing done later on Magic if we decide to have another foal with a paint stallion I don't believe at this time it is necessary. Both horse have to be carriers in order to have a lethal white foal. I just read that even some overo horses are not carriers. It is a good test to have done, and if our vet had recommended it we would have had it done.
lives2hope is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunny's Foaling Thread! :-) Crossroadshorsefarm Horse Breeding 59 06-08-2013 11:10 AM
May's Foaling Thread MyLittlePonies Horse Breeding 296 05-30-2013 09:29 PM
Dreamer's Foaling Thread *update* Baby is here! SunnyDraco Horse Breeding 141 04-19-2013 02:23 PM
Lola's foaling thread! gamer0307 Horse Breeding 42 06-21-2012 01:28 PM
My first horse, Magic (move plz if in wrong thread...) Honeysuga Horse Pictures 2 11-18-2009 03:23 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome