Maiden Mare approaching foaling
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT
I recently purchased/rescued a 4 yr. old mare, who apparently got out one night to visit a stallion in a nearby pasture on or around Sept 6th of last year. The previous owner sold her with this information. I didn't think this little mare "took" with the condition that she was in. My husband and I bought her with plans to keep the foal if she was, in fact, pregnant. A planned foal was born on our farm over 2 years ago. We are adamant about keeping any foal that is born on our farm! We have prepared a foaling area and will build a permanent addition to the barn if a foal is born.
We did have the vet out to give our 3 horses vaccines and to take a blood test to confirm pregnancy with Shadow. Unfortunately, Shadow did not respond well to the syringe from the vaccine and the vet suggested we wait and tranquilize her before trying to take blood again. My husband was extremely against that idea....( he is very sympathetic to our animals :). We decided that we will take our chances and wait it out for any physical signs........
If the date of her live cover is correct, then Shadow is 341 days in foal today. She does not have a full bag, but her teats are now extended with yellow/amber liquid. ( I will post a photo...). Shadow is in my profile picture. Her belly is rounded and has seemed to have dropped a little......but I do not feel/see any foal movement. I understand that all mares are different and do not always exhibit textbook signs, but does she appear to be foaling soon to any of you?