Maiden mare in foal, due to foal very soon
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Maiden mare in foal, due to foal very soon

This is a discussion on Maiden mare in foal, due to foal very soon within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • How to tell when first time mares are close to foaling
  • Do maiden mares usually foal early or late

Like Tree8Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-23-2012, 03:30 PM
  #1
Foal
Maiden mare in foal, due to foal very soon

Hi there, I have a 5year old mare due to foal very soon and it's her first foal, weve been reading up on the Internet and in books looking for tell tale signs of going into labour and weve been noticing things changing in her, she keeps swishing her tale and kicking at her belly and I've noticed that her belly has gone slightly narrower than it was and now she keeps putting her back end up against the wall and she's looking really worried and quite scared, would anyone say she's going into labour or I've read they can go into false labour, any help would be greatly appreciated, Matthew
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-23-2012, 03:38 PM
  #2
Banned
This is where you'd call your vet and get their opinion. People on the internet are going to be useless, because we can't see the mare.
     
    03-23-2012, 03:39 PM
  #3
Yearling
I'd say she is VERY close to foaling! The signs are certainly there,so be sure to keep a very close eye on her.. When did you notice these changes starting?
     
    03-23-2012, 03:42 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryryder    
I'd say she is VERY close to foaling! The signs are certainly there,so be sure to keep a very close eye on her.. When did you notice these changes starting?
We started noticing the changes yesterday and we've been keeping a close eye on her, Matthew
     
    03-23-2012, 04:05 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJohnston    
We started noticing the changes yesterday and we've been keeping a close eye on her, Matthew
I'd say be prepared for it to start happening anytime then..From your description it sounds like the foal has dropped and is getting into position. What does her bag look like,is she dripping milk,is there wax on her teats,that kind of thing? Hope all goes well,and keep us posted! :)
     
    03-23-2012, 04:10 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryryder    
I'd say be prepared for it to start happening anytime then..From your description it sounds like the foal has dropped and is getting into position. What does her bag look like,is she dripping milk,is there wax on her teats,that kind of thing? Hope all goes well,and keep us posted! :)
Shes started bagging up a bit and when we checked her teats she had a clear liquid coming out, and yesterday there was a little dried up spec on the tip of her teat, like a pale cheese colour, Matthew
     
    03-23-2012, 04:58 PM
  #7
Started
Hmm. Be prepaired to have the vet on speed dial. She sounds very close since she's getting uncomfortable and nervous. Is she starting to get relaxed around her tail head and volva being loose?
     
    03-23-2012, 05:00 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePonies    
Hmm. Be prepaired to have the vet on speed dial. She sounds very close since she's getting uncomfortable and nervous. Is she starting to get relaxed around her tail head and volva being loose?
I haven't check around her tail set but her vulva does look a loose, Matthew
     
    03-23-2012, 05:26 PM
  #9
Super Moderator
Usually it's about 24 hours or less once you have milk.

Usually the mare will become restless when you are getting very close. She may pace the stall and she may have patchy sweat spots behind the elbow, on the sides of her neck and on her flanks.

Sometimes she will appear colicky, lying down and getting up repeatedly, but if she eats, drinks, poops and pees it is a good indication that the first stages of labor are in progress.

Be sure to have the vets number handy, I would actually recommend giving them a ring when you know you are foaling (just to have them prepared should you need them).

The actuall deliver should not last more then 30 minutes so if it looks like it is going to, then you need a vet.
     
    03-23-2012, 06:10 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84    
Usually it's about 24 hours or less once you have milk.

Usually the mare will become restless when you are getting very close. She may pace the stall and she may have patchy sweat spots behind the elbow, on the sides of her neck and on her flanks.

Sometimes she will appear colicky, lying down and getting up repeatedly, but if she eats, drinks, poops and pees it is a good indication that the first stages of labor are in progress.

Be sure to have the vets number handy, I would actually recommend giving them a ring when you know you are foaling (just to have them prepared should you need them).

The actuall deliver should not last more then 30 minutes so if it looks like it is going to, then you need a vet.
She is still eating but not as much as she generally does and she's pooing quite often aswell, when I got there this morning there were 4 poops and she is still peeing, my brothers going to check on her at 1 in the morning then I'll be going over about 4 ish so I'll let you know if anything happens
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The official when will Ace foal thread **Foal arrived!!*- Update Post #1054 Golden Horse Horse Breeding 1155 09-13-2011 11:50 PM
*Foal did not make it* - Foal due soon! Color/sex guesses? Poco1220 Horse Breeding 185 07-28-2011 08:16 PM
Is My maiden mare about to foal? ambygurl1821 Horse Breeding 11 11-19-2010 01:47 PM
Help not sure if my mare is in foal tracey Horse Breeding 57 06-17-2010 05:11 PM
Foal, foal, cute little foal!!!!!!!! PIC OVERLOAD! DutchHorse Horse Pictures 9 07-21-2008 11:19 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0