Need Some Insight Please?
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Need Some Insight Please?

This is a discussion on Need Some Insight Please? within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By trainerunlimited

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-06-2012, 08:19 PM
      #1
    Started
    Need Some Insight Please?

    As some if not most of you all know I'm having my mare bred at the end of this month. I'm going off of her last cycle that was about 8-9 days long. The last day was January 31st. I was going to take her up and have her sit at the vet clinic till she came in because I would hate to miss her cycle because I have both morning and evening classes. I was going to take her on the 20th.. Just glimpsing the calendar, that is her exact 21 days. It's a monday.....we'll 20 actually. Should I take her up on that day OR take her up the friday before being next friday the 17th? I just don't want to waste my money and miss her cycle then use drugs to bring her back in.....any thoughts as to which day I should take her up?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-06-2012, 09:15 PM
      #2
    Yearling
    I would take her up a couple days before her cycle is due, because unless you are well aware of every cycle she has in the past few months, you don't know if she is regular, exact, or sporatic in her cycles. Just my opinion!
         
        02-06-2012, 09:22 PM
      #3
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trainerunlimited    
    I would take her up a couple days before her cycle is due, because unless you are well aware of every cycle she has in the past few months, you don't know if she is regular, exact, or sporatic in her cycles. Just my opinion!
    Well, I'm thinking heavily about taking her on Friday next week once I get out of school to be on the safe side. Something about the 20th is bugging me and I just really know if that's her new cycle date or if that'sthe best day to take her or what?
         
        02-06-2012, 09:33 PM
      #4
    Yearling
    I would have her ultrasounded early next week. Your vet can tell you a timeline for when she will come into heat again, so you don't miss it.
         
        02-06-2012, 09:42 PM
      #5
    Yearling
    I would be safe rather than sorry. Especially if you don't know if she has a regular cycle pattern,but even if you do,I speak from personal experience when I say a regular can be irregular at times. :)
         
        02-06-2012, 09:43 PM
      #6
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trainerunlimited    
    I would have her ultrasounded early next week. Your vet can tell you a timeline for when she will come into heat again, so you don't miss it.
    Yeah, I think he'll probably do that once we get there. I'll most likely call the vet tomorrow to get ahold of them to let them know. I'd like to just get one and done, but sometimes it takes a couple times and I've heard this vet was fabulous at conception rates as far as vet work adn the stud is excellent count from what i've been told. A locab race breeder(also a vet) told me he was great at getting the job done. I hope for one time because I origionaly inquired about regumate and wow on teh prices of the other drugs......
         
        02-06-2012, 10:10 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    What my schedule is for getting a mare bred is this:

    Ultrasound - see where she is in her cycle pattern

    Ultrasound - close to when vet thought she would be in heat

    Ultrasound - to see where in her heat she is

    Ultrasound - every day once in heat to see when she will ovulate

    Ultrasound - to AI her

    Wait 14 days...

    Ultrasound - to check if she is in foal

    If not, rinse and repeat, lol!
         
        02-06-2012, 10:15 PM
      #8
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trainerunlimited    
    What my schedule is for getting a mare bred is this:

    Ultrasound - see where she is in her cycle pattern

    Ultrasound - close to when vet thought she would be in heat

    Ultrasound - to see where in her heat she is

    Ultrasound - every day once in heat to see when she will ovulate

    Ultrasound - to AI her

    Wait 14 days...

    Ultrasound - to check if she is in foal

    If not, rinse and repeat, lol!
    lol I liked that. Rinse and repeat. Lol Sounds about right. Do you think I'd benefit by taking her on wednesday next week instead of friday?
         
        02-06-2012, 10:43 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    You would know when she is expected to go into heat. Vets can tell within the matter of a couple days, that way you aren't surprised, and may be able to wait til monday to drop her off. Vets are like fertile gods/goddesses of horses if you have a good one.
    MyLittlePonies likes this.
         
        02-07-2012, 01:23 PM
      #10
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyLittlePonies    
    Well, I'm thinking heavily about taking her on Friday next week once I get out of school to be on the safe side. Something about the 20th is bugging me and I just really know if that's her new cycle date or if that'sthe best day to take her or what?
    If you are in the states the 20th is a holiday could that be what's bugging you? Will your vet be opened?
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Desperately need some insight! jumpingrules92 Barn Maintenance 18 11-06-2011 05:43 PM
    An awesome insight on selective breeding Golden Horse Horse Talk 32 05-03-2011 07:36 AM
    Calling all dressage experts! Desperate for some insight... Zimpatico Dressage 15 03-26-2011 07:49 AM
    New and need some insight fklinger Horse Health 3 02-10-2008 01:18 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0