Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange County, NC
Now im worried about letting them out in the paddock anyone have any snake repellent ideas ?
The most effective way to get rid of snakes is to get rid of their food source, e.g. Mice/rodents. Keep the grass/weeds cut, make sure any feed/grain is in metal containers, get rid of any standing water, and remove any clutter that rodents like to live under....and keep that feral cat around.
Around here, animal control will only remove a snake from inside your house, but here is some info from them: Here is a list of useful ways to keep snakes away:
The following remedies really won't work:
- Eliminate debris such as wood or rock piles on the property.
- Cut down heavy brush or trim back hedges.
- Seal small gaps under doors or decks, etc.
- Use funnel type traps or glue board type traps along edges.
- An extreme remedy would be a perimeter wide fence sloping outward at a 30 degree angle.
- Use of sisal rope around the property - the theory is that the course rope is tough on a snake's belly, but it's not true.
- Use of snake repellants such as sulphur, moth balls, or Snake-A-Way, a combination of the two.
- Use of predator scents such as mongoose urine.
- Use of ultrasonic sound emitters (snakes can't hear, at least in high frequencies).
- Use of fake owls or hawk decoys.
On the sixth day, God created the Quarter Horse.
On the seventh day, he Painted the good ones.
Last edited by PaintHorseMares; 10-06-2013 at 05:24 AM.