New to the Forum! Excited for my 2014 foal :)
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

New to the Forum! Excited for my 2014 foal :)

This is a discussion on New to the Forum! Excited for my 2014 foal :) within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • 2014 foals forum

Like Tree28Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-26-2013, 04:57 PM
  #1
Foal
New to the Forum! Excited for my 2014 foal :)

Finally got around to joining Horse Forum. I've been meaning to for a long time! Here is my 2006 APHA solid bred mare "VLB Ultra Hot". She has been shown locally mainly in western and halter events, but can make a cute little english pony when she want to She has some halter points as a yearling at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.


She came up with a navicular bone issues this past year that led to an off and on lameness, so I decided to breed her this year to let her rest. She is four months bred to APHA/AQHA Stallion "Solanos Kicker" for a June 2014 foal.


He is a such a stunning stallion that is an NRHA Money Earner and was Top 5 Reining and Working Cow Horse at the world show. He throws stunning babies with a solid mind and lots of chrome. I plan on venturing into the Reining and Cow Horse world with this baby.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-26-2013, 07:57 PM
  #2
Trained
So, your 7 year old...Came up with Navicular changes...and you bred her?

WHY!!!???!!!???

And did you have her tested for OLWS, as well as the stallion? Id almost guarantee both your mare and him carry it. Have you read up on the consequences of Frame x Frame breeding?

Your mare has a lot of conformation faults...And obviously ones that will lead to serious lameness issues and a shortened lifespan.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    10-26-2013, 08:17 PM
  #3
Foal
Thanks for the concern. She has been OLWS tested negative, as well as the stallion. The stallion owner is a coworker. I don't consider myself an irresponsible horse owner, I would never produce a foal that even had the chance of being a lethal white. I've been around in the horse world long enough and did my own homework before just randomly breeding her.

I am a technician for one of the most premiere equine lameness veterinarians and surgeons in the country. That being said (just wanted you to know I have a wealth of resources when it comes to diagnosing and fixing her problem), she doesn't have navicular bone "changes". There are no holes in her navicular bones, there is no evidence of navicular disease. She has a slight (like 0.2) negative palmar angle, therefore she strained her deep flexor by being stupid in the pasture, and was having trouble fully healing it. That was fixed by some rest and wedges. She is currently sound without injections or bute.

I don't think that this will shorten her lifespan, I kind of lol'd at that.

Thanks for you opinion about her faults, that's why I asked.
Klassic Superstar likes this.
     
    10-26-2013, 08:22 PM
  #4
Trained
Well, I wish you luck and hope you get the foal you were planning with this cross.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    10-26-2013, 09:13 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLaPorte432    
So, your 7 year old...Came up with Navicular changes...and you bred her?

WHY!!!???!!!???

And did you have her tested for OLWS, as well as the stallion? Id almost guarantee both your mare and him carry it. Have you read up on the consequences of Frame x Frame breeding?

Your mare has a lot of conformation faults...And obviously ones that will lead to serious lameness issues and a shortened lifespan.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh boy.. I think you got just a tad carried away there. I'll never understand how people can so confidently assume the things that they do.
What exactly, might I ask, are the multiple, obvious conformation faults that will lead to serious lameness issues and a shortened lifespan?
I mean REALLY. People really need to take a step back before spewing out their hysterical opinions as if they were facts. I'm getting really sick of it to be honest.

I won't comment on the navicular issue as I'm not familiar enough with it, however I can say that, while your mare is far from perfect, she is a very decently put together horse. Not the build I would personally look for, but that's only because I'm into cow-bred horses
     
    10-26-2013, 09:21 PM
  #6
Foal
Thank you so much AnnaLover!!

I will be the first to say that my mare is far from perfect. But then again, some of the greatest horses of all time do not have perfect conformation. Just because they are not "ideal" doesn't mean they can't perform and produce outstanding babies.


P.S. I love cow-bred horses. Their minds are second to none:)
AnnaLover likes this.
     
    10-26-2013, 09:21 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Yay, another baby watch! <3
VLBUltraHot likes this.
     
    10-26-2013, 09:26 PM
  #8
Foal
It is so exciting! Even when it's not your own. I will be GLUED to this forum once everyone's babies start arriving!!! : )
     
    10-26-2013, 09:30 PM
  #9
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLBUltraHot    
Thank you so much AnnaLover!!

I will be the first to say that my mare is far from perfect. But then again, some of the greatest horses of all time do not have perfect conformation. Just because they are not "ideal" doesn't mean they can't perform and produce outstanding babies.


P.S. I love cow-bred horses. Their minds are second to none:)

No problem Some people just jump on the opportunity to attack new users.. at least that's the only justification I can think of

Exactly- no horse is truly "perfect" of course and although some may get close, that will only ever be a matter of opinion.
I've never been a big fan of the mare CLaPorte bred to be honest, so I wouldn't say she has a ton of room to be talking when it comes to well conformed horses, but hey- you don't see me attacking her over it.. or even bringing it up until now for that matter. *shrug*

ETA: I meant to add- Welcome to the forum! As you have probably gathered already, you'll find some nice people and some... *ahem*.. others that are less-so
     
    10-26-2013, 09:35 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLover    
No problem Some people just jump on the opportunity to attack new users.. at least that's the only justification I can think of

Exactly- no horse is truly "perfect" of course and although some may get close, that will only ever be a matter of opinion.
I've never been a big fan of the mare CLaPorte bred to be honest, so I wouldn't say she has a ton of room to be talking when it comes to well conformed horses, but hey- you don't see me attacking her over it.. or even bringing it up until now for that matter. *shrug*

ETA: I meant to add- Welcome to the forum! As you have probably gathered already, you'll find some nice people and some... *ahem*.. others that are less-so

Well thanks for commenting! I was feeling a little put off and not very welcomed....but you changed that! I am excited to be a part of the forum. It's always good to have a place where you can ask questions!
AnnaLover and KigerQueen like this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who's planning on a 2014 foal? Britt Horse Breeding 816 06-26-2014 06:46 AM
Anyone have 2014 Breeding Plans Yet? MyLittlePonies Horse Breeding 63 12-15-2013 10:01 PM
new to the forum and awaiting on foal to be born :) Update 9-28-13 He is here sarahb87 Horse Breeding 309 11-03-2013 12:10 AM
2014 Road to the Horse EquineObsessed Horse Trainers 13 09-02-2013 12:37 PM
Soo Excited (foal on the way) TWHforever Horse Breeding 3 01-27-2013 09:04 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0