not breeding soon but ? what do good stud fees - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 33
• Horses: 1
not breeding soon but ? what do good stud fees

I want to breed in the future and I didnt know what good stud fees are. I don't want anything really above 500. Unless of course itz exacly what we are looking for + more. Am I being to picky?
DixieLu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Was in Ocala, Fl Now In West Union SC!
Posts: 3,175
• Horses: 1
Good stud fees are 1,500 - 3,000 But it does go higher and usualy the foal will be more maketable. For $500 you wount get any thing good.
myhorsesonador is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,510
• Horses: 2
^

That's not necessarily true, there ARE plenty of very decent studs around for $500 but the problem is the mentality of being a $500 breeder. If you refuse to pay more then $500, you shouldn't be breeding - PERIOD.

There's a real nice barrel racing Paint stud around here for $600. He would be one of our first considerations in breeding a speed prospect because he's simply the ONLY proven barrel racer with a temperment to die for for miles around. That being said, if his stud fee jumped to $1,000 next year because of proven foals (of which he doesn't have any yet), I would STILL breed to him. There's a REASON he's at $600 right now, and it's because his first foals are only coming into their 3 year old year now.

So yes, you can find good studs at cheaper prices due to lack of a performance record or proven get, but it takes a good eye and someone on the hunt for a cheap stud likely does not have that eye.

Quote:
I hope God tells her to smash her computer with a sledgehammer.

MacabreMikolaj is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 33
• Horses: 1
we know people who have good studs for under 500. I was just wondering what stud fees realy are. When you look on the computer I can only see sites for like Pro barrel racers and their studs are like 6-7 thousand. I am sorry but I REFUSE to pay that much. Plus I am not breeding in a few years but I have never bred before and Im new to "serious" horse biz so I was just wondering. (my mares 5. I want to wait til whes around 10-11.)
DixieLu is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Was in Ocala, Fl Now In West Union SC!
Posts: 3,175
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj View Post
^

That's not necessarily true, there ARE plenty of very decent studs around for $500 but the problem is the mentality of being a $500 breeder. If you refuse to pay more then $500, you shouldn't be breeding - PERIOD.

There's a real nice barrel racing Paint stud around here for $600. He would be one of our first considerations in breeding a speed prospect because he's simply the ONLY proven barrel racer with a temperment to die for for miles around. That being said, if his stud fee jumped to $1,000 next year because of proven foals (of which he doesn't have any yet), I would STILL breed to him. There's a REASON he's at $600 right now, and it's because his first foals are only coming into their 3 year old year now.

So yes, you can find good studs at cheaper prices due to lack of a performance record or proven get, but it takes a good eye and someone on the hunt for a cheap stud likely does not have that eye.
Yes I know that but this person seems like they are very novice to breeding, so I just didnt want to waist my time typing all of that. Also I didnt know how to word it and you posted it much beter than I would have.
myhorsesonador is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Was in Ocala, Fl Now In West Union SC!
Posts: 3,175
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieLu View Post
we know people who have good studs for under 500. I was just wondering what stud fees realy are. When you look on the computer I can only see sites for like Pro barrel racers and their studs are like 6-7 thousand. I am sorry but I REFUSE to pay that much. Plus I am not breeding in a few years but I have never bred before and Im new to "serious" horse biz so I was just wondering. (my mares 5. I want to wait til whes around 10-11.)
I wouldn't pey that much ither. I know that I would probably never make that back on a foal so it would be silly to pay that much.

The highest I will go is 2,500 unless there is a stallion that is worth it to me.
myhorsesonador is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 33
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhorsesonador View Post
I wouldn't pey that much ither. I know that I would probably never make that back on a foal so it would be silly to pay that much.

The highest I will go is 2,500 unless there is a stallion that is worth it to me.

I agree. Y would you pay that much unless you race
DixieLu is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,180
• Horses: 7
"good studs" depend on what you are looking for. What breed, what discipline, what level of competition, what your mare is.... If you are breeding for a forever horse that you'll never ever sell, then the stud fee, the actual mare you are using, and breed of horse don't really matter.

If you are breeding for a specific discipline or breed then things matter. You can't really say, a good stud fee is:... I did not pay a high stud fee for my horse, but I did use a quality stallion with the bloodlines and conformation I was looking for. I used a good quality mare as well. The thing about breeding is that it's a crap shoot. You can use the highest quality stallion and a mare that poops gold and end up with a crooked legged foal that doesn't ever amount to anything.

You'll want to do a lot of research before choosing a stud. Your price limit may change as you get closer to breeding time and as you decide what it is that you really want. I would say 500-1500 would get you a pretty decent stud. Maybe not a world champion but something that can produce a nice baby.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,180
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieLu View Post
I agree. Y would you pay that much unless you race
You can win a lot of money depending on what level you are showing. No matter the discipline.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 6,594
• Horses: 1
Like MM pointed out, the trouble with horses with 500 or under stud fees is there is a glut of a bunch of should-be-geldings in that demographic. You need to know what you are looking for. What type of stud will compliment your mare? What types of traits (physically or mentally) will he likely pass on. Depending on the breed, you need to know if he is free of any genetic diseases (a la HERDA and HYPP).


What type of horse are you looking to get? Discipline? Size? Etc?

A quick search of dreamhorse gave me quite a few good looking proven studs in the 800 - 2500 range but not a lot of 500 or unders I would waste my money on.
Spastic_Dove is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need to know how to go about breeding my stud lizard13 Horse Breeding 13 10-10-2012 10:22 PM
Favourite Breeding Stud? HorsePride Horse Breeding 18 01-23-2010 09:42 PM
Good Breeding? BluMagic Horse Breeds 17 03-13-2008 10:23 AM
Shipping Fees... Please Help!!! CrazyHorseChick Horses for Sale 4 10-14-2007 01:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome