Not gelding a horse that you have no intention of breeding - Page 7
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding

Not gelding a horse that you have no intention of breeding

This is a discussion on Not gelding a horse that you have no intention of breeding within the Horse Breeding forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree262Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-12-2013, 05:38 PM
      #61
    Started
    Can we file this under "how to have a thread go from productive to fight in 5 seconds or less".
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-13-2013, 02:19 PM
      #62
    Weanling
    I am going to offer my experience with buy a horse who was stallion. We bought Snickers when he was 7 years old he had just been gelded about 6 months before we bought him. The first time we told him on a trail ride, he tried to mount the mare I was riding. Let me tell you there is not enough room for both of us. He has been a handful and still thinks he is stud. I have to watch him all the time. He fights with the other geldings and herds the mares as if they are his. He still mounts the mares when they go into heat. He is 14 now. I am not telling you not to buy a stallion and geld him. Just keep in mind that a gelding who was once a stallion might still think he is king of his herd.
    Jalter and AnodyneSeaxx like this.
         
        03-13-2013, 02:30 PM
      #63
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BellaMFT    
    I am going to offer my experience with buy a horse who was stallion. We bought Snickers when he was 7 years old he had just been gelded about 6 months before we bought him. The first time we told him on a trail ride, he tried to mount the mare I was riding. Let me tell you there is not enough room for both of us. He has been a handful and still thinks he is stud. I have to watch him all the time. He fights with the other geldings and herds the mares as if they are his. He still mounts the mares when they go into heat. He is 14 now. I am not telling you not to buy a stallion and geld him. Just keep in mind that a gelding who was once a stallion might still think he is king of his herd.
    That is a very good point, but I was thinking of adopting a younger horse, like 2 or 3. I know a horse can still turn into a monster in that time, which is also why I wont specifically be looking for a stallion.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-13-2013, 02:35 PM
      #64
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jalter    
    I won't be looking for a stallion though. But IF the perfect horse happens to be a stallion, I will need to be able to convince my boyfriend that gelding isnt a bad thing that only people who can't handle horses do.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    The perfect horse will not be a stallion.

    You're right, gelding is not a bad thing'.

    I'd be done with this guy........
    AnodyneSeaxx likes this.
         
        03-13-2013, 02:37 PM
      #65
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jalter    
    That is a very good point, but I was thinking of adopting a younger horse, like 2 or 3. I know a horse can still turn into a monster in that time, which is also why I wont specifically be looking for a stallion.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Every horse is a individual. I am sure you have heard it before but don't fall in love with the first horse you meet. I have made that mistake.
    Jalter likes this.
         
        03-13-2013, 02:40 PM
      #66
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
    The perfect horse will not be a stallion.

    You're right, gelding is not a bad thing'.

    I'd be done with this guy........
    You must be a great person to live with, you know, being done with a guy because he has a few questions on horses. How is someone supposed to learn without ever asking a question?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Ray MacDonald likes this.
         
        03-13-2013, 02:45 PM
      #67
    Weanling
    I know your problem - My boyfriend doesn't want to get his male dog fixed. I think it's a guy thing. "How would I feel if someone cut my balls off?" Kind of thing. Just remind him that it is healthier and safer for the animal if they are gelded.
    Also...
    If you had a stallion that you could not handle, could you really feel right by selling the stallion to someone else, not knowing if this person can handle the horse or not? It would make you feel bad if that stallion you sold to someone ended up hurting them.

    Just saying..
         
        03-13-2013, 02:56 PM
      #68
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jalter    
    You must be a great person to live with, you know, being done with a guy because he has a few questions on horses. How is someone supposed to learn without ever asking a question?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Actually I am great to live with, I have a great marriage and I make my own decisions, based on what's best for the family as a whole. If I had to make a list of reasons to convince my 'horse savvy' boyfriend why we shouldn't buy a stallion.....or should buy a stallion and then not geld it......then that means 'I AM NOT BEING HEARD, NOR AM I BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY'........

    Your boyfriend ' feels sorry' for anything that's neutered/gelded......that's called anthropomorphism, not something you EVER want to apply to a stallion.
    AnodyneSeaxx likes this.
         
        03-13-2013, 03:25 PM
      #69
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
    Actually I am great to live with, I have a great marriage and I make my own decisions, based on what's best for the family as a whole. If I had to make a list of reasons to convince my 'horse savvy' boyfriend why we shouldn't buy a stallion.....or should buy a stallion and then not geld it......then that means 'I AM NOT BEING HEARD, NOR AM I BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY'........

    Your boyfriend ' feels sorry' for anything that's neutered/gelded......that's called anthropomorphism, not something you EVER want to apply to a stallion.
    And he understands that now. I wasnt trying to build him a list because he wont listen to me. Its my horse, he doesnt care what sex it is. He just thought it would be cruel to geld a horse. I wanted to make the list so he would understand im not trying to be cruel, if anything the exact opposite.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-13-2013, 05:44 PM
      #70
    Trained
    I wish some men were as easy to geld as a horse. :p
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Define 'breeding stock' in terms of a gelding? alexischristina Horse Breeding 10 12-13-2011 12:20 PM
    Gelding 6yr old & Breeding AI AKPaintLover Horse Breeding 23 08-14-2008 04:44 PM
    2 yr old breeding stock paint gelding Samantha Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 02-06-2008 09:58 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0