Not sure if my mare is pregnant - Page 9 - The Horse Forum

 209Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 136 Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,218
• Horses: 5
Serenity... that could be an umbilical hernia. It depends on how big it is as to whether it will "go away" or not. Some need a minor surgery to close up to prevent complications.

Google "equine umbilical hernias" .. you'll get alot of info there. Then have the vet look at it while he's out..

Good question.
dbarabians likes this.
texasgal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 136 Old 06-04-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 62
• Horses: 1
Thank you :) how does the foal get that?
Serenity is offline  
post #83 of 136 Old 06-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,927
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
Will you guys please stop saying I'm willy nilly breeding? I get it. This foal isn't going to be up to the expectations of all other nice bloodline foals but if all signs are okay for her then I will allow her to have the foal. It was accident. No one was home to stop it. I will have her checked for diseases and twins. I will have the stallion checked also. I will keep everyone updated if she is pregnant and ask questions and get advice. I have 2 homes for the baby to go to if money is to tight.
My comment wasn't directed necessarily at you, Serenity, but to anyone who breeds without knowing anything about the horses they breed.

I think I'm missing something here though. I think you said in a previous post that you bred another grade mare you own, to this same stallion. What happened to that foal? I was also under the impression that the stallion belonged to a neighbour, but now I'm thinking you also own the stallion, correct? This since you said you would now geld the stallion. That seems to be a responsible thing to do I think. I'm sure he will be a happier boy. Just remember, after gelding, to still keep him away from your mares for six weeks.

What do you do with your horses, other than breed? I see you are in California where we have tons of great shows in all areas and almost every weekend. And of course, great trails and mountainous areas to ride.

Lizzie
dbarabians likes this.
FeatheredFeet is offline  
post #84 of 136 Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,218
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
Thank you :) how does the foal get that?
From this googled link:

Umbilical Hernia | TheHorse.com

The area of the abdominal wall surrounding the umbilicus is one of the last areas of the body wall to close during the development of the fetus. If there is any defect in the complete closure of the body wall in this area, it will result in an umbilical hernia. So, a foal can be born with an umbilical hernia, or the hernia can develop during the first week of life.
Serenity likes this.
texasgal is offline  
post #85 of 136 Old 06-04-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 62
• Horses: 1
The stallion belongs to my aunt. She bred him with the other grade horse and that baby is going to be 4 months old in about a week. She's healthy and energetic and growing fast! My aunt is the one that breeds, mine wasn't intentional breeding. Other then the breeding though, we trail ride up the mountain trails and ride in gymkhanas. Our trails actually lead to the gymkhana grounds.
Serenity is offline  
post #86 of 136 Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,218
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet View Post
My comment wasn't directed necessarily at you, Serenity, but to anyone who breeds without knowing anything about the horses they breed.

I think I'm missing something here though. I think you said in a previous post that you bred another grade mare you own, to this same stallion. What happened to that foal? I was also under the impression that the stallion belonged to a neighbour, but now I'm thinking you also own the stallion, correct? This since you said you would now geld the stallion. That seems to be a responsible thing to do I think. I'm sure he will be a happier boy. Just remember, after gelding, to still keep him away from your mares for six weeks.

What do you do with your horses, other than breed? I see you are in California where we have tons of great shows in all areas and almost every weekend. And of course, great trails and mountainous areas to ride.

Lizzie
Lizzie, I think the stallion and the other mare are owned by a relative.. this might be why you are confused when she used the term "we" to refer to horses that are on the same premises. It sounds like she keeps her horse on the property with this other relative's horses.

The other mare foaled in February, I believe she has stated previously.
texasgal is offline  
post #87 of 136 Old 06-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,218
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
The stallion belongs to my aunt. She bred him with the other grade horse and that baby is going to be 4 months old in about a week. She's healthy and energetic and growing fast! My aunt is the one that breeds, mine wasn't intentional breeding. Other then the breeding though, we trail ride up the mountain trails and ride in gymkhanas. Our trails actually lead to the gymkhana grounds.
Sounds beautiful .. and fun!
Serenity likes this.
texasgal is offline  
post #88 of 136 Old 06-04-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 62
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgal View Post
Lizzie, I think the stallion and the other mare are owned by a relative.. this might be why you are confused when she used the term "we" to refer to horses that are on the same premises. It sounds like she keeps her horse on the property with this other relative's horses.

The other mare foaled in February, I believe she has stated previously.
That is all correct. My aunt wanted to breed her mares before the stallion is gelded and she did. I just want him to be a gelding already.
Serenity is offline  
post #89 of 136 Old 06-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,218
• Horses: 5
Well, hopefully your mare isn't bred and life can continue on as usual .. and if she is, you are doing your research and learning what you can.
texasgal is offline  
post #90 of 136 Old 06-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,927
• Horses: 0
OK. I understand now. Is it your four month old who has the umbilical hernia? What has the vet said about it?

My youngest granddaughter is just starting in gymkhana and our old Haffie who has been doing it now for many years, has just been retired. He won't like being retired, but he's at least 30 now and we know he must be just a pasture puff, since he has arthritis. If you do gymkhana in S. Cal., you will know Dandy and his rider, Katie.

Lizzie
FeatheredFeet is offline  
Reply

Tags
mare , pregnant

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I just got a new mare... and she is pregnant! justicehorse Horse Breeding 38 10-26-2012 10:22 AM
Is my mare pregnant countrygirl1 Horse Breeding 8 04-21-2012 11:09 AM
Pregnant mare showing in season to another mare Sandy65 Horse Breeding 7 09-12-2011 09:31 AM
Pregnant Mare, Help! Missdv Horse Breeding 19 02-27-2011 08:05 PM
You know your mare is getting too pregnant when....... JMJ~Arabians Horse Breeding 5 04-01-2008 12:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome